[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know plenty of people thought Avatar was overrated as fuck,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 5

File: Star_Wars_The_Force_Awakens.jpg (834KB, 2400x1621px) Image search: [Google]
Star_Wars_The_Force_Awakens.jpg
834KB, 2400x1621px
I know plenty of people thought Avatar was overrated as fuck, which it was, but there was more to it than TFA ever had.

So consider me upset when this movie topped Avatar at the box office especially when it wasn't half as memorable as the latter.

Has the world gone crazy? Don't get me wrong, it's a good enjoyable flick, but it's not something I'd care to rewatch.

And don't get me even started with the subtitle The Force Awakens. They sure couldn't have found a better name, huh? Lucas' movie subtitles were a lot more specific (and better) than that.
>>
And you know what, Avatar had good /m/echa. TFA only had some cute haro-type droid and your usual star wars fighters.
>>
>>13721427
TFA topped Avatar? Sweet.
>>
It still has to do some work on the international market to pass Avatar worldwide.

Not that it matters because neither one is at the top if you adjust for inflation.
>>
>>13721427
>So consider me upset when this movie topped Avatar at the box office especially when it wasn't half as memorable as the latter.
Only domestically, not in the foreign market, just do what non-sheeple do and consider overall gross instead.
>>13721459
Only in America.

I say this as someone that did not care for Avatar.
>>
>>13721427
>upset when this movie topped Avatar at the box office

Why would anybody be upset about this? Avatar's sole gimmick was that it was wholly shot for the new 3D technology. The movie itself though was pretty lacking with its predictable plot as thin as the paper it was written on. When you take away all the glitz of both films, TFA is a far better film.

Just for reference I consider TFA a 7/10 and Avatar 5/10.
>>
>>13721427
>So consider me upset when this movie topped Avatar at the box office especially when it wasn't half as memorable as the latter.

More flies congregate at shit than just dirt, anon. The bigger the turd, the more witless insects it will attract.
>>
>>13721427
i dont remember a single fucking thing from avatar
>>
File: ald g free.jpg (60KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
ald g free.jpg
60KB, 540x960px
>>13721427
I don't consider the amount of money a movie makes as a true measure of success, especially as ticket prices and populations only go up it's inevitable something is going to top the last one. But getting the money does help.

A true measure is how many fans hold on to it and go to see it year after year. And by that measure Avatar was a failure because now no one cares about it any more, just like Titantic.

The original Star Wars was by far more popular as we still speak of it, even more so than the prequels and likely of these next series as well.
>>
>>13721517
>>13721480
DON'T TALK DOWN TO ME LIKE THAT.

YOU POST ON /M/, YOU SMUG ASSHOLE.
>>
>>13721427
I've still never seen Avatar because it was described to me as Pocahontas without songs.
>>
>>13721537
You mean Dances With Smurfs?
>>
>>13721535
>/M/

What is that?
>>
>>13721538
Yeah, pretty much. People told me that it was generally dull without the 3D.
>>
>thing is popular
>i dont like it

4chan in a nutshell.
>>
>>13721535
I'm just posting facts, I liked TFA
>>
>>13721544
Well there's some visual spectacle in it, but yeah a lot of it is lost without 3d. The film has a lot of LOOK IT'S 3D money shots, but in terms of detailing and visuals it's also a pretty and colorful looking film.

But it also has no real narrative value. It's a pure effects film.
>>
>>13721546
Pretty much.
>>
>>13721427
How the completely superfluous "Little Autist and Star-Lord in Dinoland" can become the third-highest grossing film of all-time is even more baffling to me.
>>
>>13721533
Pretty much this. People already stopped giving a fuck about Jurassic World, for instance.
>>
File: 1447465976243.png (6KB, 358x235px) Image search: [Google]
1447465976243.png
6KB, 358x235px
>>13721546
Acrually, no.

>thing is popular
>It's fucking reddit/tumblr shit

That's 4chan in a nutshell.
>>
>>13721554
J-World?

Well as far as a rehash sequel goes it's a good baseline, revisiting old themes and presenting new angles to Chricton's work.

The final act was lackluster but I thought it had a strong start when it followed the style of slasher horror, the less you saw of I-Rex, the better it was.
>>
>>13721572
The scene with the "security team" getting BTFO was great.
>>
>>13721554
Nostalgia. Heavy nostalgia. It was the first JP film in nearly 15 years and it did everything it could to distance itself from the sequels (which nobody liked) and stay close to the original.
>>
>>13721588
>IT CAN CAMOUFLAGE!

Seriously the film was really good when they kept obscuring Indominus. Though the babysitter secretary really didn't deserve to die like a bitch, that was just excessive.

But that final third was pretty flaccid. I liked that Rexie defended her turf and all but it felt like a generic monster movie ordeal when the film was doing so well as "what if Umbrella Corp was into dinosaurs instead of zombies?" Because holy shit they had a good angle with the shifty biochem artificial organism engineering stuff.
>>
>>13721517

*tips*
>>
I should watch Jurassic World at some point. I didn't even realize it had made so much money and become so high grossing. I wonder if this means we can get a new Dino Crisis game? Those were fun.
>>
>>13721591
>Nostalgia. Heavy nostalgia
TFA had this in spades as well, but it didn't manage to capture (for me) the sense of wonderment that the other SW pictures had. JW did a good job at being a sequel to JP.

>>13721640
>secretary really didn't deserve to die like a bitch
(._.)
>>
>>13721546

A good lot of popular things also happen to be shit.

But whatever, super evil contrarian 4chan hates everything
>>
When the fuck did people start giving a shit about Avatar?
>>
>>13721554
We got finally a functioning Dino-park.
>>
>>13721655
Trespasser remake when?

>>13721427
>Lucas' movie subtitles were a lot more specific (and better) than that.

Yes, everyone remembers his original one,
>>
>>13721546
This.

Never listen to 4chan. About anything.
>>
>>13722362
Dude don't even joke about a fully functional playable Trespasser, that shit could be ultra hype if done right.
>>
>>13722376
Oh no, I was being serious about that. Fully realized Tresspasser would be pretty great, that game had ideas it failed to implement that no one even tries nowadays. the character model should still totally be a pair of boobs and an arm though.
>>
>>13721427
>Has the world gone crazy?

Yes. Since the day when Star wars became a smash hit, causiing

1. Merch rush
2. EU - backstory of anything that appeared on cinema screen
3. Both of the above leading to the "star wars is much more than movies".

The consumerist society made it a goldmine to dig gold from nerd-dom which grew memetically.

This was the natural course after the way it flint locked itself into.
For a business point of view , movie did a good job bringing new heads apart from the fandom while not only keeping things easy for newcomers and nostalgia fanserivce to old guards, it also sets things for new materials.

So many birds with one single stone.
>>
So, is it safe to say that TFA surpassed Aldnoah.Zero?
>>
>>13721546
>>13722223
>>13722374
It's not even just 4chan, but it's real strong here.

Holy hell, half the 'Star Wars' stories I see popping up in newsfeeds are shit like 'the 4 biggest plotholes explored' 'Why George Lucas hates TFA' 'Why Samuel L. Jackson hates TFA' 'TFA isn't as good as you think and here's 14 critics that agree'.

But nearly every one I've bothered to read has started by saying "well while TFA has near universal acclaim, there ARE people that disagree..."
>>
>>13723144
The last half of my post was sarcasm.

Anyways, for every one of those disparaging articles, there's a hundred thousand angry comments on the website or social media in response.
>>
I can respect pretty much anyone's opinion on TFA, good bad or neutral.

But don't fucking tell me the prequels were worth shit.
>>
>>13723247
The prequels go through cycles in the public eye.

It's like there's a wave of people that forget how fucking bad they are and defend it, yet when you go back to watch it: they are still the same terribly shot, inconceivably paced, incomprehensible pieces of shit.

Also, I only thought Episode 4 and 5 were merely good at best. 6 was mediocre.
>>
>>13721427
>Liking Avatar
Holy shit what is wrong with you?
>>
File: 1335418086576.jpg (8KB, 263x113px) Image search: [Google]
1335418086576.jpg
8KB, 263x113px
>>13721546
>>
>>13721546
All of Star Wars is trash except for the TieFighter games.
>>
>>13723311
What about Twi'leks?
>>
>>13723336
Togruta >>>>>>> Twi'shits

And I say this as a big fan of twintail hairdos
>>
>>13723419
I agree
>>
>>13721697
>but it didn't manage to capture (for me) the sense of wonderment that the other SW pictures had.
I think whatever TFA lacked in 'wonderment' and writing it made up for in its visuals. TFA was a beautiful movie to watch, and in 3D even moreso. Especially around the climax of the film there were some really beautiful scenes.

As far as the story goes, I refrain from having any strong opinions about it. What direction they take with the trilogy is more important than TFA being somewhat of a rehash. What's important is whether or not the other movies are too.
>>
>>13723440
>it made up for in its visuals
I gotta disagree. It had some good shots, but it lacked any strong visual coherency, and Abrams can't direct a scene with any tact to save his life.

The colors were also way overexposed in a ton of sequences, and the way he handles a camera anticipates way too much.

I actually thought the story was fine, albeit a little boring though.

Now episode VIII, I'm pretty stoked for cause Rian Johnson is actually a good director.
>>
>>13721427
Avatar is complete garbage, 7 at least has novelty appeal despite being sterile jewish garbage. Unless you meant Avatar the cartoon, which is better than both and most gundam shows.
>>
>>13721427
OP. This is what your post sounds like:

I tried so hard and got so faaar. In the eeend, it doesn't even matter

Stop being buttblasted. If you hate it, move along to another franchise or wallow in wookiiepedia non canon legends.
>>
>>13723649
>Stop being buttblasted. If you hate it, move along to another franchise or wallow in wookiiepedia non canon legends.

He never mentioned the EU and he never said it was bad.

>Has the world gone crazy? Don't get me wrong, it's a good enjoyable flick, but it's not something I'd care to rewatch.
>>
I think TFA is the best one in the entire series, just based on using the potential of the SW universe instead of one or two name-drops. It's the first one where I actually felt we're in a giant, connected universe instead of isolated island-hopping.
>>
So apparently in Japan everyone thinks Finn is from Jakku because the line "the one from the village" was translated to "the one born in that village".
>>
>>13723902
>It's the first one where I actually felt we're in a giant, connected universe instead of isolated island-hopping.

What made you think that?
I felt like the locations lacked personality.
>>
>>13721427
Sure, it wasn't amazing, but I'd rather rewatch TFA than Avatar.
>>
>>13723440
Whilst I admit that the tech was great, the actual designs were pretty much all borrowed from the original trilogy, and the ones that weren't (Han's ship, the bar on the forest planet, the whole star fucker thing) felt oddly out of place.
You know what else had great visuals but not much else? The prequels. Everything just oozed Star Wars and looked awesome at the time and quite a lot of it holds up today. Podracing still makes my /m/an handle wet. By contrast all the new stuff in TFA felt bland and somehow too realistic. For some reason it's not Star Wars for me if it doesn't look slightly crappy.
>>
>>13723902
How? Not explicitly disagreeing but interested to see how you figure that
>>
>>13721427
Characters were great I thought, I'm enjoying the family drama aspect of the story. The star killer base seemed irelevent to the rest of it though, it's just part of the background that gets destroyed. And it being the third Death Star basically and being dealt with in pretty much exactly the same way didn't really cause me to care all that much for that part of the story. My biggest problem with the film was the designs. aside from bb8 none of the new stuff that wasn't just a redesign was memorable at all. Even the prequels were better in that regard.
Felt like John Willian's was phoning it in too

Least favourite part of the movie was that whole scene with the generic space criminals and generic tentacle monsters shot on some generic space station that looked like it had been made for some syfy TV movie
>>
>>13721697
>but it didn't manage to capture (for me) the sense of wonderment that the other SW pictures had

It lacked those unique, crazy and memorable "wow"-moments and defining ones that you got in pretty much every Star Wars movie so far, no matter how retarded they were or how bad they aged, like
I: pod race, Gungans vs. droid army
II: Kamino, clone battle
III: Grievous bike chase, everything with Sheev, Obi Wan vs. Anakin
IV: Mos Eisley Cantina, trench run
V: AT-ATs, cloud city
IV: Rancor, Sarlacc, speeder bikes

I can't recall any scene I'd call the defining moment of TFA.
Millenium Falcon vs. Tie Fighters? Been there done that.
Those things on Han's freighter? Nah.
Starkiller firing? Meh.
Maz Kanata's bar? Uh, I dunno.
Fuck, the TR-8R shit was probably the closest thing.
>>
>>13728887
I think the backdrops just don't look alien enough. As far as planets go all we got was a desert, woods, snowy woods and ireland. And sure the other films have planets based around those familiar elements but they all had some weird quirk that made them feel like they're from a galaxy far far away. Looking through the art books I didn't see any background art in them either. I thought the creature design design was pretty weak too
>>
>>13721558
That's because JW sucked just like every other movie in that overrated series.
>>
>>13728887

I thought Rey scavenging in the gutted Star Destroyer was a really cool scene, short as it was. I loved it more in the trailers though honestly, since it had that little bit of music that made the whole thing seem very ominous and haunting. I wish they'd extended that scene a little more and played up the eeriness of the whole thing.
>>
>>13729188
I feel like there's room in star wars for a slice of life show about Rey scavenging and having spooky adventures that would've done more for her character than the whole movie
>>
The box office numbers for Avatar were a mirage. The only reason anyone could've watched that movie was because of the 3D effects. A 3D ticket is about twice the price of a regular ticket.
>>
>>13723494
>Unless you meant Avatar the cartoon, which is better than both and most gundam shows.
I really hope you're talking about The Last Airbender, for everyone's sake.
>>
>>13729772
>What other Avatar cartoon is there?
>>
>>13729802
I heard somewhere that Bryke had a new project. Know anything about it?
>>
>>13729822
korra? Yeah, season 1 was okay but everything past that was dog shit.
>>
>>13729888
>tfw viewers wished so hard for gay end that even the staff started seeing yuri
>>
>>13729902
I still don't understand why that ending upset people. Any excuse for girl-on-girl is an excuse that needs to made.
I mean, I didn't care about the show at all until poon-scissoring, so maybe I'm not invested enough.
>>
>>13729760

Box office tracking doesn't track how many tickets were sold like you seem to be arguing, but how much money a film made. So the fact that the tickets were more expensive doesn't mean anything. The prices might have been double, but it's still real that people were willing to shell out that amount to see the film in the first place. And where were you living that it cost double for a 3D ticket? It was like, 20% more where I was, maybe 30% - far from double.

>>13729822

After Korra I'm not sure I'd care. That show made it pretty obvious that a lot of the success of Avatar came from the other writers and not from Bryke themselves.

>>13730755

I've only seen the first season and a bit so I can't speak for it really, but I'd imagine a lot of it has to do with the fact that it was obviously not intended from the beginning since Bryke very much pushed the idea that Korra and the fire bending cop guy whose name escapes me were going to be the show's couple until fan backlash sunk that. I've heard that it comes off very last minutes, which would explain why some people didn't like it - but again, only going on hearsay here since I didn't watch and have no interest in seeing the rest of Korra. Being angry about it still seems an over-reaction though, and hey, more lesbians on tv is cool like you say, so whatever.
>>
>>13721427
Star Wars was a nice popcorn movie. It made me feel like a normalfag sitting there in the movie theatre- even if just for a few hours.

As to why it made a billion: Star Wars is a big name.
>>
>>13731797
It does make sense though. People at Korra's age are busy finding out who they are. She found out she liked girls: big deal. Korra and Asami are a nice couple.
>>
>>13731844
>Star Wars is a big name
For you.
>>
>>13731854
Where do you live?

In my country EVERYONE knows what Star Wars is. It really is the biggest franchise in popular entertainment.
>>
>>13731901
Whoosh
>>
I'm surprised anyone gets excited for Cameron's Avatar. It doesn't really do anything wrong, great visuals, but there isn't enough fun stuff to latch onto. It's a very basic nature=good/man=evil theme done in a nice box.
>>
>>13731901
So pure. So very pure.
>>
>>13731901
Get this hothead outta here
>>
>>13721554
It did what TFA failed to do. Be a tribute to the original while also taking its own themes and not feeling like a rehash.
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.