[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did you realize that Tomino "lost it?" First signs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 137
Thread images: 12

File: 8853024563.jpg (23KB, 250x375px) Image search: [Google]
8853024563.jpg
23KB, 250x375px
When did you realize that Tomino "lost it?" First signs?
>>
Did he ever really 'have it'?
>>
>>13711504
The first episode of Astro Boy he work on where a robot killed himself because he saw the future.
>>
>>13711504
I don't think he's changed. His writing has been weirdly incoherent forever. Gundam 0079 was just quite 'together' compared to his other stuff. And I like the strange rambling storyline in most of his stuff. Even loved Brain Powerd and G-Reco
>>
>>13711509
There were no incoherency in Dunbine, L-Gaim or Xabungle. They were all pretty easy to follow.

But G Reco was a true mess.
>>
>>13711516
G-reco is not that much harder to follow then those shows you listed. The only reason you understood those shows better is because you knew more about them before hand.
>>
>>13711516
G-reco was a mess because it was 26 episodes and the story was cut up a little. This combined with tomino's writing makes it kind of hard to understand for people not used to it

I had more trouble understanding things like Dunbine and Ideon
>>
File: space elevator.jpg (196KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
space elevator.jpg
196KB, 768x1024px
>lost it
>newspaper still talk about his works

He succeeded at what he wanted.
>>
>>13711504
There was him forgetting about the Arcane waverider, but that's him just being old. His stuff is mostly the same as it was before.
>>13711525
>G-reco was a mess
I don't think it was, it just seemed that way because they were off packing to another planet/colony every other episode.
>>
I've been meaning to make a thread about this, but just what is Tominospeak?

I know a bit of Japanese, but I can't figure out any good examples of Tominospeak.
Could someone help me out?
>>
>>13711504
>When did you realize that Tomino "lost it?" First signs?
We're talking about his hair right?
>>
>>13711504
When he joined MusiPro in late sixties.
>>
>>13711549
"The world is not square"
>>
>>13711504
ZZ. To be more specific, around the time he was writing the ending to Zeta.
>>
>>13711525
Ideon was hampered by really shitty subs for a long time. It isn't written any different from the rest of Tomino's shows if you know moon or have the better subs that are slowly being done for the blurays.
>>
>>13711549
Just watch Brain Powered and pick literally any line of dialogue
>>
>>13711509
I think he was "weighed down" by the gravity of the studio execs in the 80s through early 90s, he was Sunrise's bitch. By Turn A gundam, he gained immense power and could do anything he want, Sunrise became his bitch.
>>
>>13711504
Why can't you just realize that Tomino is insane and we like him like that.
>>
>>13712071
This. He hasn't lost or gained anything. He's still doing his thing, more or less.
>>
>>13711530
Tomino's liberal mecha propaganda made the japanese more hyped for war tho. His incoherent writing failed to get his message through.
>>
>>13712071

/thread
>>
He's always been a crazy fucker. Just sometimes his works hit it off with the right crowd, either because of random chance or because he worked along with someone for long enough that they managed to contain him.

I wish he would've done more comedic stuff like Xabungle in his career, it seems to fit him more. A lot of his dramatic shows end up being weird masturbatory sessions featuring embarrassingly poor writing.
>>
>>13711504
He lost that loving feeling... Nah, he didn't.
>>
>>13711549
"So this is the way adults do things"

or that episode of zeta where kamille goes out to get ice cream and emma just keeps saying recreation over and over again like a child that learned a new word.
>>
>>13712119
Or this

It's kinda hard to see Tominospeak in English because a translator would either have to try and make things as crazy, or try and write proper discernible English.
>>
>>13712100
>I wish he would've done more comedic stuff like Xabungle in his career,
King Gainer and G-Reco weren't comedic?
>>
File: 1450603518369.gif (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1450603518369.gif
3MB, 640x360px
>>13711516
>There were no incoherency in Dunbine, L-Gaim or Xabungle.
>>
>>13712197
I've only watched one of those and I'm not gonna let you say anything in Xabungle was incoherent. It all made perfect cartoon-sense.
>>
File: gJ6N5zu - Imgur.gif (1MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
gJ6N5zu - Imgur.gif
1MB, 400x300px
>>13712217
>I'm not gonna let you say anything in Xabungle was incoherent.
>the 3 day rule
>The Blue stones
>Timp's entire motivation

I love Xabungle but to say its free from Tomino's atypical weirdness because is purely comedic is retarded especially when the plot is paper thin and used mainly as a vehicle to get the cast into hilarious situations to quip.
>>
>>13712226
Hey, the 3 day rule and the blue stones thing were deliberately arbitrary shit made up by the Innocent for their initial "forcing the Civillians to get fed up with their shit and rebel/evolve" plan.
I forgot what Timp's motivation was.
>>
File: newtypes.png (439KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
newtypes.png
439KB, 720x480px
>>13711504
When he introduced magical newtype ghosts you can talk to, and when he introduced time travel newtype shenanigans as well.
>>
>>13712088
>G-Reco
>liberal mecha propaganda
If you stopped going to /pol/ and watched some of his shows other than G-Reco you'd realize Tomino isn't liberal, hell he doesn't even dislike war, the message of that show is that people who try to go to war after a long period of doing nothing will just not work, as it will ultimately be their own fall.
>>
>>13712226
What >>13712230 said. The first two are explained just fine in the show.
And Timp's an asshole. He likes Breaking shit. There can't be assholes?
>>
>>13711504
asian anthony fantano
>>
>>13712230
>arbitrary shit
>Made up the driving plot of the entire show
>>13712267
You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>13712226
The 3 day rule never made sense in show but the blue stones were never real to begin with. Tomino shows are only as "incoherent" depending on if you like them or not but because Xabungle is a 4th wall breaking comedy its okay. And yeah in regards to Timp its never explained why he killed Jiron's parents as well.
>>
>>13712231
Newtypes became too much in the last half of Zeta and the entirety of ZZ where they became these psychic supermen whose powers would literally cross over into the physical realm and do weird shit.

Victory managed to bring it back down a notch.
>>
>>13711504
Somewhere between Brainpwered and the King Gainer monkey dance.
>>
>>13711504

When he included 10 songstress in his anime
>>
>>13712282
>And yeah in regards to Timp its never explained why he killed Jiron's parents as well.

huh? Timp goes around killing people to see if there's anyone sensible enough to ignore the 3 day rule and get revenge
>>
>>13712366
It's extremely obvious that Tomino just did more and more LSD as the series went on.
>>
>>13712499
That wasn't his reason.
>>
>>13712226
>>13712230
Xabungle is G-Reco's dad. The 3 days rule, taboos, Blue Stone, Photon Batteries, Timp and Cumpa are all ways to talk about real society through mockery and absurdity.
>>
>>13711504
When Amuro fought Dozle.
>>
File: jScN7qj.png (389KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
jScN7qj.png
389KB, 640x480px
>>13712547
Also both have heroines with fat asses.
>>
>>13712647
Did Amuro just hallucinate Explodia eating him or what? Was it caused by his newtype powers or just the stress of combat?
>>
>>13711516
G Reco is barely harder to follow than L-Gaim, what G Reco sucks at is giving proper context for the things they talk about and even then it makes sense if you just keep watching and read the subs because you end up seeing for yourself what most of the things they mention are and the pacing is awful as well for a 26 episode series. The only thing worse than it I've seen out of Tomino is the Turn A movies.

That just doesnt work for most people because they get turned off when they get confused by something. If I continued to go by /m/'s critique of G Reco I'd say barely anyone here read anything that wasn't battle dialogue which always boils down to MC shouting at people who can't hear him.
>>
>>13712651
yum
>>
>>13712656
>If I continued to go by /m/'s critique of G Reco I'd say barely anyone here read anything that wasn't battle dialogue which always boils down to MC shouting at people who can't hear him.
You can say that about Zeta, Victory, and Brain Powered shows people here claim to be Tomino at his worst.
>>
>>13712547
They really need to put G-Reco with Xabungle and L-Gaim in the next SRW.
>>
>>13711504
When SAO became good.
>>
>>13712671
>Zeta, Victory
>shows people here claim to be Tomino at his worst
Maybe not at his worst, but he certainly didn't want to work on them. And you could tell by drama for the sake of drama and how lazily written they are.
>>
>>13712681
What would SAO be like if Tomino directed it?
>>
>>13712681
So never
>>
>>13712685
Asuna dies, Kirito suffers a mental collapse and ends up retarded in a hospital, his entire harem gradually stops visiting him
>>
>>13712685
Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere.
>>
>>13711504
Victory.

Then Turn A. I mean, who in their right mind would have tried to force all series, UC or otherwise, to end in one final series, knowing full well it would still continue on? And who in their right mind would let someone drastically redesign the iconic Gundam so much it's hated for so many years and only now, in recent years, is accepted at all?

G-Reco wasn't much better than Turn A, but it was what Turn A should have been, with a different enough but still more familiar take on the standard Gundam design, though the story has pacing issues.
>>
I doubt he ever had it, and I watched almost everything he ever made after 0079, Gundam or otherwise.
>>
>>13712685
It'll be like Ideon.
>>
>>13711504
>First signs?
A sign of Zeta
>>
Does that little girl mc from zeta ever get better or is she a veggie for the rest of her days
>>
>>13712731
>someone asks Fa if that girl she's taking care of will ever wake up
>Kamille snaps out of his coma just to punch them
>>
>>13711504
G-Reco made clear that he's senile already. I mean, sure, all his shows have autistic characters and shitty pacing, but G-Reco definitely takes the cake. It's such an incoherent mess it's not even funny:

The choppy editing, the abrupt cuts, the exposition dumps, the lack of context, all those different factions with poorly explained motivations and goals, the awkward scenes with people working together to do anything one scene, then trying to kill each others the next, and holy shit the dialogue, man. The autism is real. Every single time anybody opens their mouth is to say some nonsense, or if they ever say something coherent, then the next character will go off on a completely unexpected tangent. And all that while they make spastic movements every so often. The whole show feels like an ADHD fueled fever nightmare.
>>
>>13712759
[Reply]
>>
File: destroy all vermin.png (492KB, 602x566px) Image search: [Google]
destroy all vermin.png
492KB, 602x566px
>>13711504
The space rats stole it from him, what vermin.
>>
>>13712708

Only people that haven't seen ∀ Gundam hate it.
>>
>>13712806
I saw it, and maybe I don't hate it but it was fucking boring.
>>
>>13712795
Glad to see you agree. It was awful.
>>
>>13711525
>Dunbine: A guy got transported into a fantasy world and got involved in a war. Then the war escalates to the real world and it turns the cold war into a mess.
>Ideon: A bunch of people found an ancient robot and runs away from a group of people who wanted it because it's a hax machine.
>G-Reco: ...What was it about again?
>>
>>13712731
Kamille can at least actually get out of bed by the end of ZZ. The only info we've ever gotten beyond that was some side material saying he became a doctor and moved to the moon with Fa, but like all things not animated that's only canon until something else contradicts in.
>>
File: turn sjw.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
turn sjw.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
>>13712806
I stopped watching at this scene. Literally cuckold the anime.
>>
>>13712731
Dunno, why don't you go watch THE FUCKING DIRECT SEQUEL TO THE SHOW?
>>
>>13712806
I have seen it though. It just doesn't feel Gundam despite all those homages/parodies of certain iconic MS. I don't hate it either, but it isn't anything I'd enjoy watching past a 2nd run to miss anything from the initial run.

The story was ok, but nothing outstanding, and really didn't make sense in trying to link every series prior to Turn A, to it and end it there. It may as well have been its own original series like Brain Powered; just change the MS designs a bit more to not homage other MS, and omit the other Gundam series flashbacks to some generic black histories and leave everything else as-is.

Basically, the plot and setting doesn't feel distinctly Gundam, and would have been better suited as a non-Gundam entry.
>>
>>13712836
I'm pretty sure it would had gotten a better reception if it had never been a Gundam show, in fact.
>>
>>13711521
The only reason you say this is because you've read a thousand /m/ threads about it so now you can follow it easily.
>>
>>13712845
It would have been better if it was just pure Syd Mead mecha in future Victorian setting, like those older sci-fi novels set in a future Victorian setting but with seemingly random high-tech elements.

In fact, there's at least one or two old novels that almost has the exact same core setup. Earth bombed back to the Victorian age, survivors on the Moon wanting to return for resources and whatnot, advance scouts sent in, some defect and end up joining and even leading the Earth forces to gradually repel the incoming Moonvaders using salvaged tech, and it ends with the big Moonvader bad guy and his special ship destroyed.
>>
>>13712850
Nah I'm just not stupid like you.
>>
>>13712877
But you're defending G-Reco...
>>
>>13712850
Just because you needed other people to explain the plot to you doesn't mean everyone else did.
>>
>>13712836
I think Turn-A is a good story because it doesn't fall into the same tropes that we've seen in a dozen other series in the franchise.
>>
>>13713127
It's different, sure. But it manages to piss away 50 episodes on almost nothing.

Why is it that when Tomino got 50 episodes he absolutely wastes almost all of them, but when he gets 25 eps his shows are almost incoherent?
>>
>>13713135
Some people aren't good with pacing. Yet, it somehow managed to work for Zambot 3, of all things. Maybe he's much more comfortable with doing shows the way they looked back in the 70s?
>>
>>13711504
When Sayla's VA couldn't come back for Zeta, and he wrote her out of the show instead of just manning up and voicing her himself
>>
>>13713204
>Yet, it somehow managed to work for Zambot 3
Not really
>>
>>13713257
Well at any rate he needs at least 39-43 episodes to do something reasonably paced (although even then it's not a full guarantee, since Ideon is plodding while Daitarn chased its own tail for the majority of the show). The downside is, barely much shows have that kind of episode total nowadays, putting aside Tomino getting too old to do full shows alone.
>>
>>13713204
>Yet, it somehow managed to work for Zambot 3, of all things.
That is because he made Zambot thinking he was going to turn it into a movie. He thought about the emotional climaxes he wanted and then he put the other episodes around it.
Too bad the movie never happened.
>>
>>13712088

You know liberal and conservative mean the opposite outside of the US, right? You should have said left-wing.
>>
>>13712226
>>13712230
>>13712282
>>13712547

I thought the blue stones were irradiated "salted" cobalt and that the Civilians were designed to withstand radiation. It makes sense why they shoot that shit into space, to get rid of it.
>>
>>13713135
>But it manages to piss away 50 episodes on almost nothing.
It doesn't though.
>>
>>13713337
I thought it was just fake.
>>
>>13713354

Well SOMETHING fucked over the world to the level that the Innocent can't survive out of domes. Sounds like a nuclear war to me.
>>
>>13713353
It really does. The show has a glacial pacing and there's so much navel gazing. The Moonrace invasion feels more like a surrealist art troupe came to town rather than an invasion.
>>
>>13713380
Are you sure you were watching the show and not doing something else?

Is there something wrong with a lot of viewers these days or did the education system just failed outright.
>>
>>13713385

Not him, but I was thoroughly bored when watching Turn A.

But I don't like Gundam, I prefer his other shows.
>>
>>13713380
>The show has a glacial pacing and there's so much navel gazing

I remember when I used to shitpost about shows and movies I haven't seen only using bits of critique I had read on MAL.
>>
>>13713393
You Tuna fans really need a better respond than "lol he probably didn't even see it".

I saw it years ago, and apparently it failed to make any impression on me because I was fighting to stay awake watching it.

One of the few things I took away from it was that nobody acted like human beings. Nobody reacts to the invasion in a manner that is in any way emphatic to the viewer. The main character is as weird as they come with an extremely simplistic motivation that is impossible to care about.
>>
>>13713412
Jesus fucking Christ

Are we being raided by /a/ or /v/ or something?
>>
He was never the same after ZZ. That was the red flag. Sure, he had a few good projects, but mostly he became very inconsistent and shitty.
>>
Brain Powered
>>
>>13713420
Anon, I'm sorry to break it to ya, but old /m/ has been dead for years.
>>
>>13713420
Stop pretending this is the fucking Freemasons or something.
>>
>>13713441
What "old /m/"? This place has been the same shit the last decade I've been here. Are you talking around the time when there was supposedly 5 SEED Destiny topics on the front page constantly? Yeah what a time.
>>
>>13713457
If you're talking old /m/, there's always this (I know that the blog's dead, but that's besides the point):
https://tsuzukusekai.(word and press).com/2008/12/22/yelling-courage-and-pew-pew-or-how-i-became-a-man-part-1/
https://tsuzukusekai.(word and press).com/2008/12/26/how-i-became-a-man-and-beyond-part-2/
>>
>>13712823
>People that haven't warred in centuries war again because of... energy or something? And then people that were happy living in space want to take back Earth for reasons.

My best shot at it.

As for the question, I think he never COMPLETELY recovered from Garzey's Wing.
>>
>>13713478
Did you really not understand Reco's basic premise?
>>
>>13713457
If you were actually here for more than a decade, then you would know that /m/ didn't always focused on Gundam.

SHOCKING, I know but seems like you don't know.
>>
>>13713506
Of course it didn't, but for some reason people have always paid a silly amount of reverence to a franchise that while being a cultural classic has never really had a genuinely good show. And you may disagree and say that you think this show and this show is good, but all the preferences are just way too happenstance, none of the shows are anything you could show to someone who hasn't been conditioned to like this shit without them looking at you funny.
>>
>>13713487
Looking at his post I can guess that he didn't
>>
>>13712833
>Literally cuckold the anime.
>he didn't even make it to the end of the 2nd episode

Do you even know cuckold means?
>>
>>13713652
What do you expect, that guy is clearly an idiot.
>>
>>13712996
>implying you're one of them.

Cool bullshit bro.
>>
>>13714034
I didn't need people spoonfeeding me anything because I actually paid attention while watching the show.
>>
>>13713530
>I can't understand differences in opinion, you've all been brainwashed into liking something I don't!

Sick opinions bud
>>
>>13714910
I'm not talking about anyone being brainwashed, but obviously something has happened to us in here since we can look at a show like Zeta Gundam and find it at least moderately entertaining. Try showing an episode of that to any normie and they'd wonder wtf was wrong with you.
>>
>>13714139
>because I actually paid attention while watching the show.

The fact that you say you liked it just proves that you didn't.
>>
>>13716836
I liked it because I could understand it, unlike you.
>>
>>13716842
There's nothing to understand, you just made shit up to cover all the holes. Let me guess, you like Evangelion too, don't you?
>>
>>13716865
>There's nothing to understand, you just made shit up to cover all the holes
Just because you couldn't understand the show doesn't mean people can't. I just watched the show like any other person and understood it just fine, without the need to make things up.
>>
Still has it.

>giri giri ai
>>
>>13716880
>Macross Zero
>Macross Frontier
>Aquarion EVOL
>Still has it.

top kek
>>
Zeta. But then he got it back with Xabungle. Then he lost it again with F91. Then he got it back again with Brain Powerd. And so on and so forth. He's just a human roller coaster. I hope he works on something that's universally loved before he dies.
>>
>>13716886
>IBO
>Greco
>>
>>13717311
not him but those weren't made by the same guy
>>
>>13716842
>I liked it because I could understand it
With the help of /m/ of course.
>>
>>13711504

Have you SEEN Garzey's Wing?
>>
He never had it and that's why hes good.
>>
>>13711504
When Corrin Nander showed up in a unitard with a "male" symbol right over his dick.
>>
>>13712806
I watched it, like all other Gundam, and it is my third least favorite out of the franchise. I don't exactly hate it, it's the most tolerable of the three shows that I actively disliked (all other Gundam shows falling between "liked" and "loved") but it's definitely in the "did not like" pile.
>>
>>13716965

Wait, so you liked Brain Powerd but didn't like Zeta ? Bizarre. This is coming from someone who liked both of them.
>>
>>13712823

>G-Reco: A scheming commander tricks a naive kid into getting captured by a rival faction and this incites a war and the breaking of past taboos.Part of the motivation for inciting this war was a possible invasion of earth by spacenoids.
>>
>>13718646
>possible
I thought Cumpa always knew the Reconguista was going to happen, hence the reason for his actions.
>>
>>13716477
We've just adjusted to the old school camp
Give anyone enough time and they'll begin to appreciate it
>>
>>13718646
Cumpa's main motivation was that he was disgusted by the people in Venus Globe and their hippie bullshit.

He's Gym 2.0.
>>
>>13718646
>Part of the motivation for inciting this war was a possible invasion of earth by spacenoids.
He didn't start the war for this though.
He started it because, according to people from Venus Globe, war speeds development and evolution.
>>
File: tomino.png (543KB, 952x526px) Image search: [Google]
tomino.png
543KB, 952x526px
>>13711549
>>
>>13720430
This is alphaspeak not tominospeak
>>
>>13711516
G-Reco is easier to follow the 2nd time since you know what dialogs are less important and which not.
Thread posts: 137
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.