[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This got put up on Crunchyroll, watched it on a whim. Surprisingly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7

File: Samurai_Pizza_Cats_logo.png (281KB, 354x500px) Image search: [Google]
Samurai_Pizza_Cats_logo.png
281KB, 354x500px
This got put up on Crunchyroll, watched it on a whim. Surprisingly enjoyable, reminds me of animaniacs.

Any fans here? How's the Japanese version?
>>
>>13698332
>How's the Japanese version?
>not watching the dub on tv when you were younger

If this wasn't one of your favorite shows in the 90s, and you weren't raised by babbies first mecha anime like Pizza Cats, Ronin Warriors and Gigantor, then you're far too casual to be posting here.
>>
>>13698332
That box spelled it wrong. It's suppose to be "SAMURI"
>>
>>13698435
Not everyone here is american and watched the same shows you did anon. Some of us had different entry points. I did watch the latin american dub of samurai pizza cats tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJVpzMkdTvg
>>
>>13698332
I did watch the original Japanese version. Surprisingly, it wasn't as enjoyable as the dubbed version.
>>
File: 15100501.jpg (93KB, 510x624px) Image search: [Google]
15100501.jpg
93KB, 510x624px
Despite what a lot of people would have you think, the Japanese version is fairly similar to the dubbed version in terms of humor. It's got puns, pop culture references, fourth wall breaking, ad-libbing, self-deprecation, all of that stuff. Maybe not in quite as high a concentration, but it's all there. Granted, some of it is just stuff that goes over non-Japanese audience's heads. Discotek's subbing job also has some problems that let some jokes slip through the cracks. Still worth watching for the all-star cast, you've got Kappei Yamaguchi, Jurota Kosugi, Ai Orikasa and Koichi Yamadera all voicing primary characters, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
>>
>>13698500
It's only ever "Samuri" in the OP sequence, and that's probably just because of the syllable-matching animation thing it's doing. Everything else, even back at the time it was first aired, has it spelled properly.
>>
File: 10020299.jpg (80KB, 510x624px) Image search: [Google]
10020299.jpg
80KB, 510x624px
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/robototenko/GALLERY/gallery.html

Character designer Noritaka "Tenko" Suzuki's blog. He's drawn over 300 pictures of the show's characters there since 2006.
>>
File: CQiQVi6UAAII9i4.jpg (197KB, 1000x994px) Image search: [Google]
CQiQVi6UAAII9i4.jpg
197KB, 1000x994px
Also if you want one of these, you'd better put in a preorder soon.

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=FIGURE-014238

There's also more stuff to come if showings at recent toy shows are anything to go by.
>>
>>13699114
Meanwhile, DigitalShokunin has been resubbing the series entirely by himself. Granted, it doesn't help that he thinks he has a crummy sense of humor.
http://z8.invisionfree.com/mSubs/index.php?showtopic=760
>>
>>13699307
>Meanwhile, DigitalShokunin has been resubbing the series entirely by himself.

Interesting, I'd be curious to see what changes are being made...
>checks out link
>restoring a bunch of gay jokes
Yeah ok, sticking with English!
>>
>>13699495
It's not like Big Cheese is exactly a paradigm of heterosexuality in the dub, either. I mean, they made him sound like Paul Lynde for a reason.
>>
>>13699495
What's wrong with gay jokes if they're the original?
>>
>>13698435
I was raised watching Mazinger Z , Great Mazinger Z , Voltron and Eldoran series.
Where is my price?
>>
>>13701186
*prize
>>
>>13699114

I've been rewatching the show with subs and I actually like it a lot more. The first few episodes are extremely dry, which is where I think a lot of its negative stigma is rooted from. After the first few episodes, it becomes exactly like you said. The sub feels more genuine, whereas the dub feels like a high production abridge series on Youtube.

The sub has more life to the characters, rather than just trying to be a joke, and has a lot of interesting information at the end of every episode about the characters and places in the show that were omitted in the dub.
>>
File: 13032401.jpg (100KB, 687x535px) Image search: [Google]
13032401.jpg
100KB, 687x535px
>>13706138
Akahori himself has said that the first few episodes aren't as good. That it took them a while to build up the courage to really let loose and get zany. It also seems to be a pretty general consensus among Japanese fans that it starts off slowly but gets funnier and funnier as it progresses. So yeah, I can easily see people who grew up with the dubbed version watching just the first couple episodes of the sub and getting turned off enough to not bother with the rest. Which is a shame.
>>
>>13706185

That is too bad. I cant really go back to the dub anymore. It feels like a lot of the jokes poke fun at the show too much with a lot of "look how weird this show is guys! Isnt this show just so weird?!!?" kind of humor and after seeing how much thought went into the actual world building of the show I have a hard time putting up with the dub making fun of it.
>>
During Toy Soul 2015, a guy working at Action Toys said that in addition to the upcoming ES Gokin figures, there's a vinyl figure collection in the works, I wonder if we'll see anything about that at Wonder Festival next month.
>>
File: 08072099.jpg (58KB, 510x624px) Image search: [Google]
08072099.jpg
58KB, 510x624px
>>13706299
A lot of that probably stems from genuine confusion, if the whole "made up based just on he visuals with no scripts to reference" thing is true. In the dubbed version of the episode where a girl accidentally stumbles upon Big Cheese crossdressing, I specifically remember the narrator saying something like "She's in the castle for some reason we can't figure out!" and it really does sound like the sort of thing someone watching just the visuals on screen with no idea of what's going on in the dialogue might say (there is a line of dialogue in a different scene of the original episode that explains she was there to make a kimono for the princess).
>>
>>13706185
>>13708816
At any rate, I think you might feel a lot more comfortable with writing humor once you reach the full-on silly second half.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.