[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

3D animation:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

>>>/a/121360668
>Choppy is the 2d look. 3DCG anime studios purposefully throttle the speed of the CG down because audiences think that high fps CG looks retarded.

>No they honestly do throttle the speed of 3DCG. There is a video of them working on Black Rock Shooter battle scenes at Sanzigen showing how it would look fully animated then the process they take to make it look more anime by removing frames.

>I'm not saying their 3DCG would be world beating in no shape or form just that the low frame rates you complain about are done on purpose. The Japanese have lived all their lives with that kind of animation being the primary type so I guess seeing high frame rates feels off in a Japanese show, like "this looks like western disney does not feel like anime".

I-Is this true? One of my many complaints against 3D animation is that it is for some unknown reason incredibly choppy. It also clashes immensely with the rest of the show and looks incredibly cheap. But I thought the choppiness was due to low budgets, or animation incompetency. But apparently it's done on purpose? That's even worse.
>>
>>12126136
>The Japanese have lived all their lives with that kind of animation being the primary type
Which is why Disney CG does Iron Man numbers there? Bravo /a/
>>
>>12126136
>But I thought the choppiness was due to low budgets, or animation incompetency.
There's no reason to believe that. If you can do a good looking movement in CG, less FPS would only ammounts to a little less render time, IIRC.
>>
>>12126136
No, I'm pretty sure most peoples complaint against 3DCG is that its 3DCG. Even if it was done well, they'd still hate it.
>>
File: MJPFight.webm (2MB, 480x270px)
MJPFight.webm
2MB, 480x270px
>Obligatory MJP webm
Remember when people complained about the high-FPS showings of The Hobbit looking really fucking weird?

It's not hard to believe if it's true that they do it in anime as well.
>>
>>12126533
Most people on /m/ loved Majestic Prince. I believe Studio Orange is the best at Mecha CG animation in japan.
>>
>>12126547
They've still got effort to do on actual people, though. Kancolle CG looks weird.
>>
>>12126136
Considering most 3DCG used in anime can pretty much be rendered in real-time nowadays, I doubt saving on rendering time is the real motivation behind it. It's basically the same reason why pans and zooms are made choppier than they can be with digital composition: because it looks really awkward and uncomfortable when one element moves at a buttery smooth rate while everything else chops along.
>>
File: rdygun.webm (2MB, 640x480px)
rdygun.webm
2MB, 640x480px
Problem is a matter of how fake it looks.

Either it's too smooth and stands out as artifice, or it tries to look like traditional framerated animation and stands out as artifice.

But that's my rather uninformed opinion as a person who likes to observe the cel-CGI integration as it's progressed over the decades. I find the true secret is finding a way to bullshit the inherent artifice as an art direction choice. Make it so that it's supposed to feel off and out of place like some sort of uncanny valley but for animation framerates.
>>
>>12126546
The thing with high fps anime is that jackasses use that program that escapes me to force it into 60fps and that look absolutely retarded, if the anime or battle sequence was made to look that fast then it causes no problem but forcing a anime into 60 fps looks retarded, look at how weird Sidonia looked
>>
>>12126546
Is MJP actually in 60 FPS? It's one of the few CG anime that actually looked legitimately great to me. Why can't they realize that that's what people want?
>>
>>12127307
MJP was a fairly recent anime and I think CGI's pacing has improved since then.

A/Z, for example, seems pretty smooth.
>>
>>12127442
I feel like MJP still looked better than Aldnoah does. There are good ones though, like Cross Ange.
>>
>>12127462
Kind of a carry-over from the Origin threads, but I'm noticing more and more that CG and traditional animation can both be good, but are good at different things. CG is good at fluid, fast movements, which MJP is pretty much the gold standard. However, where it has trouble and where traditional animation is generally superior is conveying a sense of weight. CG in Origin, Argevollen (some of the grunts, anyway), and most of A/Zs land stuff all kind of fails with this. Moving A/Z to space this season, and the increasing focus on more mobile mechs in Argevollen kind of help on this.
/rambling
Bottom line: CG and traditional animation each have their strengths, and tend to look crappy and cheap when they are moved outside them.
>>
I am pretty sure TV broadcast signals and DVD are still 23.96/29.97 frames
>>
>>12127771
Rebuild of Evangelion suffers from the weight problem as well, compare these scenes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH32Chen5Vo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKgjBZiQB8c
>>
>>12127786
The video may technically be at those numbers, and it is for the pans, but the animation of character's movements is often not at the video's framerate.
>>
>>12127815
Yeah, I know that certain motions won't be comprised of 24/30 "in between" frames for each second
>>
>>12127803
I didn't even find it so bad in 2.0, but it felt like it got way worse in 3.0, especially in the scenes with the Wunder (or whatever the ship was called).
>>
>>12127803
Do people not realize using the Asuka fight as a comparison is bad due to how incredibly uneven and juxtapose the fight is in comparison to Rebuild which is more on model and consistent?
>>
File: arge2.webm (3MB, 832x468px)
arge2.webm
3MB, 832x468px
Argevollen's CGI was pretty decent.
>>
>>12127771
It's pretty telling how IGPX and early Zoids' CGI somehow held up better than many of their contemporaries. Granted, the latter used cel-shading.
>>
>>12127896
dafuq are you talking about

The fact that traditional animation can exaggerate or stretch things is what makes it work so well for lending weight to stuff.

"on model" and "consistent" is what gives cg the sterile weightless feeling everyone always complains about.

Please, for my sanity, be a troll.
>>
>>12127946
If you need to deform a solid to give it a sense of weight you're doing something horribly wrong.

You show weight by timing the movements. Slow acceleration when it starts moving and slow deceleration when it stops.
>>
>>12127938
>Dem old shows with their CGI being somehow significantly better than current anime.

http://youtu.be/rSXy1OgouGA

It really is quite sad.
>>
>>12126546
I like the choreography, but I'm still not a fan of the mech designs.
>>
i think the main thing that i dont like about 3dcg anime is how the other things, like background and character models looks the same as they usually are. i liked knights of sidonia because of how it looked similar to borderlands and other cel shaded games. good 3dcg is more about how everything around it looks than how it by itself looks imo.
>>
>>12127971
Holy shit, Tom Kenny?
>>
>>12127915
>this is what argevollen hipsters actually believe
>>
>>12127968
Just fuck you. You're why traditional animation techniques are dying.
>>
>>12128033
I think that's the biggest thing. Too often, CG is not used in a manner consistent with the rest of the show, and as such sticks out like a sore (ugly) thumb.
>>
File: sidonia2.webm (1MB, 720x405px)
sidonia2.webm
1MB, 720x405px
>>12128033
Is that clip using SVP? It doesn't look right. Either way, Sidonia did a pretty good job handling the action scenes, especially the mechs. The problem was the character animation, which is a perfect example of what's mentioned in the OP. The models were clearly CG so lowering the number of unique frames didn't hide it at all and it probably made it look worse. The models actually look pretty decent here, where they animate them properly.
>>
>>12128033
>That low FPS
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.