[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alrogjt gentlemen, how do we save the mecha genre?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 18

File: sip6.png (146KB, 199x200px) Image search: [Google]
sip6.png
146KB, 199x200px
Alrogjt gentlemen, how do we save the mecha genre?
>>
Does it really need saving right now? Plenty of mecha shows are being made, just not in the insane quantity that there was in the 80s.
>>
File: 111234.png (389KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
111234.png
389KB, 640x480px
more shotas in shorts
>>
>>11813208
>Plenty of mecha shows are being made
Yeah but how many of them are memorable or even just good in general really?
>>
>>11813227
You implying that most 70s/80s mecha were memorable?
>>
>>11813227
>even good
I'm enjoying G Reco. i loved Majestic prince
>memorable
VVV is terrible enough here on /m/ that it will remembered for many years to come.
>>
>>11813217
This. More mecha aimed at children and not otakus
>>
A lot of mecha nowadays is all about angst, drama and real robots in order to make an edgy show with a shitty ending because Nips don't want anyone to be happy anymore.

Edgelords who revel in edge like Domon "King of Burgers" Kasshu and real robot series like Cross "GENOCIDE THE WORLD" Ange are fine, but that's because they play up their ridiculousness to the point where the ride is actually fun. And that's what we need more of. "Fun".

Ultimately, that can only be accomplished with more slapstick super robot shows, less despressing real robot shows, and Nips airing at least one Brave series every year like they do with Gundam. And no more shitty CG. Just...no.

Then again, who knows. Maybe the real root cause is just that anime in general just takes itself far too seriously due to being more commoditized and mainstream than it used to be. Popularity does have a tendency to make things suck because creators start pandering to the lowest common normalfag denominator.
>>
File: PLAN MEANS KEIKAKU.jpg (29KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
PLAN MEANS KEIKAKU.jpg
29KB, 640x480px
Add more tits.
>>
The mechas are female and run on semen.
>>
File: 1405221410820.jpg (31KB, 630x330px) Image search: [Google]
1405221410820.jpg
31KB, 630x330px
Less human, more robot.
>>
Give Ryousuke Takahashi unlimited budget and let him do whatever the fuck he wants. Even if it could lead to the US declaring war on Japan.
>>
We go back in time and kill Tomino.
>>
Make 3d movies instead of anime.
>>
I don't know if it would save the genre but I think that something with a more heroic streak to it would liven up the scene a bit. Whether you take that as a Hero-Robot such as Giant Robo or a military mecha show with a Ramba-Ral tier MC is up to you, but I think heroics need to come back rather than going for the tragic hero angle.
>>
By destroying /m/.
>>
We go back in time and prevent TTGL, Code Geass, Macross 7, G Gundam and Turn A Gundam
>>
More imagination and will to actually make a show, less references and cynicism in both the development and the shows themselves.
>>
File: mylene no u.jpg (98KB, 633x462px) Image search: [Google]
mylene no u.jpg
98KB, 633x462px
>>11814347
>>
Make video games and comics.

Failing that, try to raise awareness by subbing shows that haven't been touched yet (cornball turds like Mechander Robo being optional).
>>
>>11813227

We would not be able to tell at the moment. You'd need to give them at least ten years, maybe even 15. Those shows from the 70s, 80s and even early 90s didn't always become popular overnight.
>>
>>11814221

Tragedy is hardly a new thing to mecha anime: it's been there on the very ground floor what with Gundam and Zambot 3. However, I think you've got a point about things being much more serious: even back in these early tragedy shows, we still had elements of the ridiculous (some of the White Base crew's antics or Killer the Butcher being both comic and horrifying at the same time), along with some rather outlandish designs, lent them some extra memorability. Maybe anime directors have fallen too much in love with the idea that their programs have to tell very deep and serious messages, but even then that's hardly constant to all anime produced today.

I imagine aiming things less at otaku and more at kids might help settle things again, but at the moment Japan's birth rate does not favor targeting that demographic.
>>
Kill whoever makes another faggot mc finds special mech that only he can pilot muh pacifism series.
>>
>>11814481
>buzzwords
What series is even like that besides Unicorn and Seed?
>>
>>11813198

Nah, mecha isn't going to go anywhere at the moment. The moment mecha dies is the moment we start making actual giant robots, and that doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon.
>>
>>11813198
It will fix itself, eventually.
>>
More Obari.
>>
Gundam is the Bleach or Naruto for the genera. Maybe put a more militarized aspect to the pilots b/c I think you would have to have some brains to pilot a mech in a modern world. Have the mechs plain looking like a giant tank to help connect with the pilots more if you are looking for a serious mech anime. Have them commercialized and flashy for a less serious one and have them fight in arenas. Just not anything about "only I can pilot this" unless it is like a fantasy version like Escaflone. In battle stress they could talk about resonable specs "He's faster, my mech is overheating, they hit the hydraulics cant move." less on Mech power and more on pilot skill. Also how can the opposing pilots talk to each other w/o a loud speaker, why do they have each other's number to talk to each other face to screen?
>>
>>11814856
>Have them commercialized and flashy for a less serious one and have them fight in arenas. Just not anything about "only I can pilot this" unless it is like a fantasy version like Escaflone. In battle stress they could talk about resonable specs "He's faster, my mech is overheating, they hit the hydraulics cant move." less on Mech power and more on pilot skill.
We almost had something like that last year. And it was going to be awesome. But some faggot canceled it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW-JcQwuXz4

I'M STILL MAD
>>
>>11814845
I actually much prefer the original Dangaoih, the other two not so much
>>
>>11815002
I prefer Kawamori's arms and shoulders, but I like what Obari did with the rest of the design.
>>
>>11814347
>prevent Turn A Gundam

So we prevent the best Gundam from ever happening?
>>
>>11814425
This in a big way.
You want a perspective check, look back at some of the shows that were hits back in the day. Yeah, there's obvious answers like Gundam and Macross. At the same time, you also get things like GodMars, which won awards the year it came out, and nowadays is largely forgotten outside of the occasional piece of merchandise and SRW appearance. Even those only really focus on the first third of the series.

We're too immediately close to what's coming out now to determine what will stand the test of time, distancing is needed to separate the truly memorable from the flash in the pan.
>>
File: 14158200702870.jpg (97KB, 800x952px) Image search: [Google]
14158200702870.jpg
97KB, 800x952px
>>11813198
Add more politics.
>>
>>11814498
It varies from person to person.
There are some people who seem to view any show where the protagonist empathizes or is reluctant to kill as 'MUH PACIFISM'

It's an offshoot of the whole 'UNDERSTANDING' mess, where people bitch about something that's nowhere near as bad as they've convinced themselves it is.
>>
- be more childish (Yuusha style).
OR
- be more adult (Takahashi style).

All of this "in-between" otaku stuff and Gaydam crap which doesn't know if it wants to be kiddy or serious is the only problem since a decade.
>>
>>11815215
>Gaydam
Are you underage
>>
File: 1373467252725.gif (176KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1373467252725.gif
176KB, 500x333px
>>11815215
>Gaydam
>>
File: 73ff2208eba3b0_full[1].jpg (67KB, 640x512px) Image search: [Google]
73ff2208eba3b0_full[1].jpg
67KB, 640x512px
>>11815353
Daily reminder that there's nothing gay about modern Gundam.

Nothing.
>>
>>11814221
>Domon
>edgey

Maybe in like the 2 episodes where he activated rage mode in the Shining Gundam, but that's it
>>
Just make a show for kids again.

Like, at the end of the day, what's the worst thing you can say about most of the Brave series? That they were too hopelessly optimistic?

That they relied on stock footage too much?
>>
>>11815882
>Setsuna wins da gandamu in the end
>Lockon the First had the Feldtbowl all settled before getting Ali'd
>Lockon the Second had his fling with Anew before she died
>Allelujah and Marie got happy Travelling Hobo ending
>Tieria isn't even considered human by the end of 00 and only really cares about Veda

The only thing close to being homosex in 00 was Alejandro and maybe Graham/Birry
>>
>>11813253
Pretty much, or more general audience stuff. It would be one thing if anime directors were making "art house" mecha shows. But I live in reality were that doesn't really happen. Almost all anime is for otakus and it shows.
>>
>>11816069
I am enjoying G Reco and what I've seen of Gyrozetter. Though, so I'm finding stuff to watch.
>>
>>11816051
And Graham/Setsuna.
>>
>>11815909

The first half of GGG was kinda slow. You could skip a lot of it if they didn't keep introducing new shit, thereby making it so you couldn't skip without getting lost.

Still, if they did make a final Braves show, let Fukuda do it. It was his baby, he helped create the franchise, he KNOWS how to do a super robot children's show.
>>
>>11816051
Lockon didn't think of Feldt as anything more than a substitute for Amy if the novels are anything to go by.

Anyway, there's no point in getting defensive and responding to people who call shows gay because they can't handle a trap or whyever the fuck they settle on their opinion. A show doesn't even need love interests for everyone to be "not gay" or whatever the defence is supposed to be.
>>
>>11816098
Dendoh was basically the final Braves show. I actually consider it an honorary member of the franchise. Then again I consider Betterman and Brigadoon part of the series because of their connection to GaoGaiGar.
>>
>>11814856
>muh gritty military realism
Impossible. Mech shows can't pull that off.

See Shitnoah.Zero
>>
>>11816111
>Then again I consider Betterman and Brigadoon part of the series because of their connection to GaoGaiGar.

It's all right to do so. Raijin-Oh is also considered honorary, to the point that it actually got to show up in New Century Brave Wars (not to mention how Taniguchi was involved in the staff, which would eventually lead to GunXSword's El Dorado V, but I digress).
>>
File: RobotJox199014_zpsa2bb7705.jpg (257KB, 1200x793px) Image search: [Google]
RobotJox199014_zpsa2bb7705.jpg
257KB, 1200x793px
>>11813198
Animate "Cannon God Exaxxion".
Animate "Pluto".
Make "The Five Star Stories" into a full TV-series.
Animate "Eden".
Animate "Mars".
Animate "2001".
Animate "Grey".
Make a 2D version of "Appleseed".
Remake "Tetsuwan Atom"

Hi budget, no CG.
>>
>>11814221
>Popularity does have a tendency to make things suck because creators start pandering to the lowest common normalfag denominator.
When they pander "normalfags" they make "Votoms" and "Yukikaze". When they pander who they pander, they make "Code Geass".
>>
>>11816235
>When they pander "normalfags" they make "Votoms" and "Yukikaze". When they pander who they pander, they make "Code Geass".

Not only are you wrong about Yukikaze, I think you're confusing mecha nuts with normalfags.
>>
>>11816235
>When they pander "normalfags" they make "Votoms" and "Yukikaze". When they don't care who they pander, they make "Code Geass"

Exactly. Code Geass was pretty fun, complete with female Domon, genocide princess and a "Spice and Witch" sort of ending.
>>
>>11816235
>When they pander who they pander
>>
>>11816541
Are you old enough to forget your obsession with robots as a kid? When a mecha show concentrates on robots and ot on beautiful girls' asses, it becomes better. Votoms are pretty much your average fine sci-fi of it's time, by the way.
>>
>>11817568

Well, you could always Votoms was basically Gundam with a few Rambo and Star Wars elements plus also giving the Zakus the star role instead of the RX-78-2 Gundam (it's pretty clear Scopedogs are Zaku derived).
>>
>>11817568
>When a mecha show concentrates on robots and not on beautiful girls' asses
Why not both?
>>
>>11817594
I don't mind, but you know that when they're drawing nice asses, anime creators could get deistracted and lost in some way. It takes an extra effort to maintain a good balance.
>>
>>11817582
>Gundam with a few Star Wars elements
Whut.
>>
>>11817568
>When a mecha show concentrates on robots and ot on beautiful girls' asses, it becomes better.
Cross Ange is pretty good and it focuses both on girls' asses and robots. Checkmate.
>>
>>11814221
>Edgelords who revel in edge like Domon "King of Burgers" Kasshu
nigger what
>>
>>11817642
I haven't seen it yet. Discarded.
>>
>>11814221

Domon wasn't edgy at all.

He was just a raging manchild.
>>
>>11815909
Wasn't that what they tried doing with Gyrozetter?
and memory serves, didn't kids not take the bait?
>>
>>11814347
Go back in time and prevent Gundam SEED, and force Gainax to do Aim for the Top 3 instead of TTGL.
>>
It has no need for saving, but I would like to see some more creativity.
>>
>>11813198
Make everything a toy advertisement. It worked for Gundam. And honestly, who doesn't want more cool robot toys?
>>
Make realistic shows that aren't grimdark.
>>
>>11818869
As much as I enjoyed TTGL, yes, that.
>>
>>11814481
I'd counter that, not everyone can be an MD Geist, really only MD Geist and the general ripper can pull off an ILOVEWARYOUFAGGOTS and not seem edgy

Everyone else is going to hit varying degrees of "We really shouldn't be fighting anymore," but I would like to see a broader range than "UNDERSTANDING" and "Heero Yui Expy" with varying degrees of overt angst
>>
>>11813198
Commission Meatbot Massacre for a 13-episode Grand Tournament series, further installments can cover bigger tournaments and go back to the Canada Wars
>>
File: 1415048063369.jpg (809KB, 3024x2146px) Image search: [Google]
1415048063369.jpg
809KB, 3024x2146px
>>11818892
>>11819063
How about noblebright told as if it were grimdark

MM: in the near-ish future mankind has solved war... by growing gigantic piloted cyborgs and throwing them into gladiatorial deathamtches... and everyone cries if the pilot gets hurt. No seriously, Meatbot pilots are describe as the last genetic lines of people who are still capable of slapping somebody upside the head let alone eating his rival's bot alive on the arena floor for some extra mass in the next tournament bracket

just imagine the hangar scenes
>>
>>11818803
Yes, because kids do not care for giant robots at the moment.
>>
>>11813208
The genre itself doesn't need saving. Look at how many were made back in the boom times of the 1970s and 1980s. You're looking at between five and ten robot shows on average a year.

Meanwhile this year we've had at least 12 shows that I can think of that have been robot orientated

Captain Earth
Buddy Complex
Daimidaler
Knights of Sidonia
Aldnoah Zero
M3
Dai Shogun
Cross Ange
G Builders
G Reco
G Builders TRY
Argevollen

And I'm sure I've forgotten some. Even back around the turn of the 90s to get that output, you had to include OVAs and films.

Now true, a lot of the series don't run as long as they used to, but you still have shit tons of TV robot shows.
>>
>>11816192
>Make "The Five Star Stories" into a full TV-series.

As much as I would like to see that, we all know it would never happen, if only because it's Nagano's baby and he wouldn't let any one touch it.
>>
>>11813198
Make more fantasy mecha, only with power metal soundtracks.
>>
File: 1410681673036.jpg (69KB, 861x656px) Image search: [Google]
1410681673036.jpg
69KB, 861x656px
>>11813198
Honestly? There's a lot of mecha being made today but very few legitimate sci-fi series which is when mecha is at its best.

To be good sci-fi, you need a strong theme and message. In fact, you need that for any sort of masterpiece. That's what separates common stories from masterpieces.

When's the last time you saw a mecha series that actually had depth beyond "war sucks" and "kill your foes"? I want to see more mecha like Getter Robo Saga, Mobile Suit Gundam, Mars, Ghost in the Shell, Tetsujin-28 and even G Gundam. These are all works with strong thematic elements that make them more than just a story about metal men. Hotblood is empty without reason. Mecha action is just eye candy for high schoolers who like to ooh and ahh at fancy fighting moves (Gundam Build Fighters, I'm looking at you).

Mecha is caught in the fan trap. These directors just want to take mecha elements they like and mash it into a 12 episode anime. They lack vision and purpose. The closest mecha anime recently to break beyond that was Suisei no Gargantia. We need more mecha that goes beyond just being a story about robots and goes into what it means to be human and our place in the universe.
>>
>>11820526
>We need more mecha that goes beyond just being a story about robots and goes into what it means to be human and our place in the universe.

And I'm sure such things as Getter Robo, MSG, G-Gundam and Tetsujin-28 engaged in lengthy diatribes about the nature of humanity and our place in the grand expanse of the cosmos.
>>
>>11813198
It's simple. We just stop making animal-based mecha. No humanoid mecha. quadrapedal mecha, tentacle mecha. Only tracks, wheels, and wheel-feet.
>>
>>11820526
>Mars
What was the message? I thought it was just a boring manga with shitty ass-pull ending.

>>11820593
Are you being sarcastic? Because Getter does almost exactly that.
>>
>>11820632

How much of Getter?

And how much of it beyond humanity's relationship with Getter Rays?
>>
>>11820643
Mostly in Arc.

>beyond humanity's relationship with Getter Rays
None, because Getter Rays ARE the grand expanse of the cosmos.
>>
File: 1476876638639.png (355KB, 694x516px) Image search: [Google]
1476876638639.png
355KB, 694x516px
>>11814347
>prevent G Gundam
>>
More space opera stuff, that's why I liked the original Macross so much, that whole journey from Pluto to Earth was awesome
>>
File: 1417210341992.jpg (54KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1417210341992.jpg
54KB, 640x480px
Just wait for the new LoGH
>>
>>11820632
>What was the message? I thought it was just a boring manga with shitty ass-pull ending.

You didn't get the whole 'does humanity really deserve another chance?' theme.
Yokoyama wasn't exactly being subtle about it. Plus, with that theme the ending isn't really an asspull.

They switched tactics and let Mars see the darker nature of humanity for himself rather than simply reading about it or seeing the aftermath.
That was enough to push him into passing the guilty verdict.
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.