[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get good at Armored Core? I'm using a configuration

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 9

File: gsdx_20141208065723.jpg (244KB, 1542x1080px) Image search: [Google]
gsdx_20141208065723.jpg
244KB, 1542x1080px
How do I get good at Armored Core? I'm using a configuration more or less similar to what I went with on AC1 (I couldn't bear with its horrendous controls for long), but it doesn't seem to really get the job done in Nexus. Also holy shit the menu BGM has to be some form of psychological warfare, I had to turn it off. I wish I could just unpack the iso and delete its file or replace it.
>>
>>11788394
Just shoot the enemy without getting hit.
Here's a tip, though:
If you boost, you go faster.
>>
Stop letting them get above you

Honestly though the only enemy AC that'll give you trouble should be Genobee, since he fights like a plussie
>>
>>11788442
>implying I'm not boosting
>>
Oh also you can totally use the right analog stick for your camera instead of the R/L buttons, which frees up the R/L buttons for more useful things, like boosting and shooting
>>
>>11788455
I already said the reason I stopped playing AC1 was because of the controls, hence why I moved on to Nexus (as far as I know it's the first that uses the non-retarded controls). What was with them anyway and why did they keep using them for so long? Even other From games like Echo Night Beyond used that layout.
>>
>>11788469

1. Because From hates us
2. They were fine for the time, since AC1 was invented before dual stick was standard, but by the time AC2 rolled around there's no excuse. They had those controls until Silent Line, which is ridiculous.

However, using right analog stick for camera has some disadvantages - you might feel slower turning on the horizontal than on the vertical. Which isn't the fault of the control scheme, it's the fault of the AC.

Regardless try remapping L and R attack to L1 and R2 and Boost and EO/OB to R1 and R2, it might make a world of difference. You could also try mapping Inside to R2 instead, in case you like to sword things - swording things while also shooting Inside rockets is hilarious.
>>
>>11788480
How far are you in the game, anyway? A lot of this is going to sound redundant and probably condescending if you're pretty far.

For example, get a core with a nice EO. OB is cool but only if you can manage the heat and vast energy drain. EO is basically there to pile on extra damage while you do damage with your main weapons.

If you're having trouble against an arena opponent, you have a bunch of options: the first is get better, which is an exercise in frustration but always highly recommended. The second is to hope the opponent glitches out and gets stuck on a wall or something, which happens sometimes in the tighter arenas especially against hover types. The third is to either build a machinegun centric AC or a micro missile centric AC (depending on whether or not the opponent has missile countermeasures) and then blast the other guy to bits in like ten seconds. The AI is super shit at handling micro missile spam.

For missions you want an AC that prioritizes endurance over anything else. High AP, high mobility, and high defenses as much as possible. Pick a good laser rifle or a sniper rifle, those are always nice mid range damage options that have a ton of ammo. Pack missiles for the occasional hard target that needs a lot of killing on it at once.

For missions that also have ACs in them, just do the same thing. When you meet an AC in a mission they tend to have lower AP than they would in the arena (also if you kill them you don't fight them in the arena.)
>>
>>11788469
You know you could've just remapped the controls in your emulator so your right stick would control the camera right? It's not hard to do and I played all the PS1 era AC games like this.
>>
>>11788523

Not him, but you mean like map the camera to the d-pad and then map the d-pad to the stick?
>>
>>11788507
You can also fight them in an open map and lead them out of bounds.
>>
>>11788507
The only mission that's available right now other than the Raven's Arc ones is "Capture Filtration Plant".

>For example, get a core with a nice EO
Such as? I'm still rolling with the stock core and arms, I only got better legs and a SMG + improved beam saber as weapons (and I don't think they're adequate), plus a few optional parts and missile decoys.

>>11788523
Thanks for reminding me of that, but I does epsxe allow for having game specific commands? Because having to remap the controls every time sounds kind of like a pan in the ass.
>>
>>11788557

I only remember that happening in Silent Line, I thought they fixed it in Nexus/Last Raven
>>
>>11788560
Nope. It's probably even easier to do, given the way a couple of maps work.
>>
>>11788559

The C98E2 is about 200 aums heavier than your current core and has a solid round EO, so you can keep boosting while you shoot without worrying about eating too much energy

There's also a couple of Cores you can unlock via the missions on the Revolutions disk but I think they're OB
>>
>>11788576
Wait, are EO/OB something like funnels?
>>
>>11788597

No, OB is a BOOOOOOOOOOOOOST. EO is sort of like a funnel that hovers over your core, shooting things for you.

There are actual funnel type weapons that you can get later though. You fire them at someone and then they shoot at him.
>>
>>11788530
Not exactly. You would map L1 and R1 to be your dpad left or right and L2 and R2 would be up and down on your right stick. Left and right movement previously on the dpad would be moved to left and right on your right stick.
>>11788576
You can just save the config in the emulator. You'll have to change it whenever you want to play something that's not AC though.
>>
>>11788616
>You can just save the config in the emulator.
How exactly? I don't think the default plugin lets you save configs.
>>
File: 10-20-2010_12-15-03_AM[1].png (145KB, 427x333px) Image search: [Google]
10-20-2010_12-15-03_AM[1].png
145KB, 427x333px
>>11788597

Here, these are the EOs of the SELENA core. They're big and pack a punch but the SELENA is also gigantic.

The main downside to using EO is that you lose access to hanger units for most of them (since hanger units are stored in the core and EO cores tend not to have hanger slots) but it's a free weapon that you don't have to think about, and the energy ones recharge themselves. Although I might be misremembering that, they definitely recharged themselves in Silent Line.
>>
>>11788622
Oh my mistake I didn't notice you're playing on epsxe. I'm not sure you can on that emulator, sorry. It should automatically save that config anyway. What I meant is saving the controls as it's own profile.
>>
>>11788632
What emulator do you use?
>>
>>11788632
>>11788633
Also epsxe only has one controller profile. Which is saved in the system registry. Which is fucking retarded.
>>
>>11788394

Math + Practice + Knowing your style - Aesthetics - Normal controls set up = s rank pilot.
>>
>>11788671
>- aesthetics

What kind of ace pilot doesn't have a pimped out ace custom?
>>
>>11788633
I use Psxfin.
>>
>>11788716
Alright, I'll give it a try, worse comes to worst I'll try xebra.
>>
>>11788721
It works, and it's amazing how AC1 with non-shit controls feels much more responsive than AC Nexus.
>>
>>11788670
>using epsxe
>fucking ever
What's wrong with you? Why would you use outdated, unstable piece of shit? If you really want to use plugin hell like ePSXe, use PCSX-R which does EVERYTHING ePSXe does, but better. They even use same fucking plugins. Other valid options are Mednafen PSX and Xebra if you want accuracy.

>>11788716
>Psxfin
Don't use that. It has a lot of compatibility issues and it's dead as stone. Only reason to use it is having really fucking old PC and actually that isnt even reason because there is pSX.
>>
>>11789599

Maybe he doesn't know there's alternatives anon
>>
>>11789599
Because every goddamn place reccomnends that, and also if it wasn't for Project Nemo I woulnd't even know about XEBRA (not that it matters much since I can't get even ABREX to work, but oh well).
>>
>>11788394
Ok, Nexus onward you need to learn the relationship between a good generator and a good radiator, because boosting generates heat starting in that game.

For armaments, when in doubt you pick the highest capacity machinegun and an arbitrary pair of missile launchers.

I forget if you still get the opportunity to do arena grinding, but if so you do that, you do it in any AC you can.
>>
>>11788626
I honestly don't remember ever really having a use for hanger weapons, so I always go with EO. Gotta keep up that DPS, cuz my heavy biped can only really dodge missiles at best.
>>
Paint your AC red guaranteed performance boost
>>
>>11790870
No arena grind yet. I skipped a few matches too since the pay was worse than the missions available at the time.

>>11790902
But then I'd become a terrible person and my piloting skills will get worse.
>>
>>11790923
Fuck the pay, free money is free money, and historically you get freebie parts too every so often which means more money, if not better parts!

Cheese it while you can. There's always rewards to be had in there.
>>
>>11790977
But doing those arena matches that are outside of the arc is a waste of money, if I were to play them the missions that actually have good pay would disappear.

Keep in mind that I'm talking about Nexus, I don't think I ever had the chance of having arena matches in AC1.
>>
>>11791033
They showed up first in Project Phantasma and form the foundation of Master of Arena.

What about playing through the second disc? That should achieve similar results if I'm not mistaken...
>>
What determines the boost recover speed? Generator power minus the energy consumption of all the currently equipped parts?
>>
>>11790881

There's a couple of high damage hanger options but otherwise they're just there if you want to eject your empty R weapon to lighten up but still want to be able to shoot the things
>>
>>11791270
>if you want to eject your empty R weapon to lighten up but still want to be able to shoot the things
I honestly can't think of a single situation where this might be a good idea.
Which is yet another reason why I go EO all the way, all the time.
>>
>>11790923

Definitely play a few Revolution missions, they're basically free money and give you neat parts on occasion
>>
>>11791280
Why would ejecting an empty weapon be a bad idea?
>>
>>11791280
If your R weapon is a beefcake with like 10 shots like the Last Raven version of Karasawa and Karasawa 2 (or the big bazooka, which got meganerfed just like them in LR) then you'll definitely want to eject it eventually anyway

Of course that's why you have back weapons

>>11791297

If your main arm is empty and the other guy's not dead yet, something has gone horribly wrong

Running out of ammo is way more common in the longer missions though
>>
>>11791302
Or you want to pop&drop with some big but unsustainable gun. Like the nade/plasma pistols, or a machine-gun with low ammo, or hell, anything with good punch and meager ammo. And then you pull out something else and keep popping. Or if it's your left arm, pull out a blade and stab a bitch.
>>
>>11791334
I forget, is Best Sword hangerable? Not Moonlight, that thing's heavy and every sword has the blade wave attack from Nexus onward anyway
>>
File: Cattura.jpg (70KB, 637x476px) Image search: [Google]
Cattura.jpg
70KB, 637x476px
This is super shit, isn't it? No, this isn't my usual configuration, but it's for a mission in enclosed spaces and no room for flying around, so.
>>
>>11791368
That's actually a completely valid design, given how fucking deadly those weapon arms are. What, if anything, do you have back-mounted?
>>
>>11791377
Small missile and it's a leftover, I should've sold that right off the bat. By the way, in Armored Core 1 you can't have multiple ACs, right?
>>
File: Cattura.jpg (77KB, 639x480px) Image search: [Google]
Cattura.jpg
77KB, 639x480px
>>11791391
Oh fuck ammo is stupidly expensive, I completed the mission at a loss. I should think of something better.

By the way, this is more or less the design I'm currently using.
>>
>>11788674

Parts that look cool aren't always good in Armored Core.
>>
>>11791444

The AC Portable bonus heads are grotesquely better than the PS2 heads and they're (supposed to be) aesthetically pleasing.

I think they look silly, but only because I like monoeyes.
>>
How's Metal Wolf Chaos, gameplay wise?
>>
File: ss+(2014-12-08+at+07.56.43).png (268KB, 840x564px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2014-12-08+at+07.56.43).png
268KB, 840x564px
>>11791444
Nigga I don't care. Aesthetics all the way.
>>
>>11791285
It's funny because I tried playing one of those first but noticed I didn't get money or anything for beating them. Or at least not enough for being able to afford anything. Are they all remakes of old missions?
>>
>>11792590

Yeah all of them are, and you get bonus parts from some of the missions. Plus if you've played through the older games they're pretty neat to go through for their own sake
>>
>>11791469
Pretty fun, but don't expect a PS2 AC like game.
>>11791548
>Aesthetics all the way.
This nigga knows what's up.
>>
>>11792961
I only played AC1. Speaking of which, why isn't there an option for having first person view by default?
>>
>>11795240
Oh boy.
>play the "destroy the fuel tanks" mission
>only 10k of profit
>remember I found a weapon there
>it sells for 75k
>>
>>11795240

A first person view wouldn't actually help that much
>>
>>11795269
Speak for yourself. I had a much easier time playing with the first person view since your fcs window is always centered.
>>
File: Cattura.jpg (85KB, 642x481px) Image search: [Google]
Cattura.jpg
85KB, 642x481px
>>11795269
At least in AC1 my mech gets in the line of sight way too often. It happens in Nexus too at least to some extent.

Also quad legs fuck yeah.
>>
>>11795336
Not the same guy but I dare you to play Last Raven in first person, it's hell.
The first games "could" be played decently in FP since you can still tank hits decently but from Silent Line onwards it's not viable, you need to know what's going on around you more than having a better fcs stability.
>>
>>11798083

Plus in third person Last Raven, you get to see when your bits get blown off! Although that's not a good thing.
>>
>>11798083
The cockpit view FOV isn't the same as the third person one? From, please.
>>
>>11798257
FOV's the same, but it should be pretty obvious that a camera behind and above you gives MUCH better visibility on what's happening right next to you.
>>
I actually had to use FPS view in AC1 to deal with the last stage.
The rooms where you fight the Nine Balls were fucking impossible to deal with otherwise.
>>
Using the bunny-hop is very useful at conserving energy from AC1-LR.

Oh, I remember being good at sniping from afar with the shoulder mounted large rockets that me and my friend got into pretty heating long distance matches. I don't even think the sniper rifles could lock on from those distances. It was a lot of fun.
>>
>>11799280
I remember my buddy loved railguns, and was always furious when he used them because I could dodge them from 45 meters in my tank.
>>
>>11799280
>Using the bunny-hop is very useful at conserving energy from AC1-LR.

Not only that, it's a staple of evading maneuvers .
Lightweight AC+competent Bunnyman pilot=Evading shit all day everyday, Good Job Raven
>>
>>11799470
Are railguns in AC1? So far the best weapon I can run is that laser rifle I found and its FCS's box is tiny.
>>
>>11803381
No, railguns came later.

What style of FCS are you running? You can compensate for laser rifle's small lockboxes with a wider FCS if you don't mind losing some effective range.

Or you can git gud and learn to shoot tinybox style.
>>
>>11803179
>Not only that, it's a staple of evading maneuvers .
It's a quirk of the way red/full locks function, since they work by anticipating the other guy's position, when you shoot is way more important
>>
>>11804166
>What style of FCS are you running? You can compensate for laser rifle's small lockboxes with a wider FCS if you don't mind losing some effective range.
Standard box with deep and fast lockon, but I think the description is bugged, I'll post the actual name in a moment.
>>
>>11807922
Comdex-G8.
>>
File: CHD-07-VEN.jpg (48KB, 252x241px) Image search: [Google]
CHD-07-VEN.jpg
48KB, 252x241px
Just the best head part passing by.
>>
>>11811051

I fucking love you, radar head!

You save so much weight and make every core you're on look like a hardcore ECM unit!
>>
File: ac3pnew2[1].jpg (136KB, 480x272px) Image search: [Google]
ac3pnew2[1].jpg
136KB, 480x272px
>>11811051
>tfw it's surpassed in every way by the GLITCH and STING despite being a veteran part

It's a shame it'll never be as popular as the REDEYE/EYE3 series either, which only gets as much play as it does because of monoeye
>>
>>11811051
This is awesome. More heads should look this way.
>>
>>11788394
>How do I get good at Armored Core?
you learn to like pain.
>>
>>11812079
>tfw I've beaten the Evangel Pulverizer and the final boss version of Evangel's regular AC but somehow can't beat the midboss version of Evangel in Last Raven portable

Zinaida's going to feed me my own asshole, if I ever even reach her
>>
File: GRXNX.jpg (34KB, 250x174px) Image search: [Google]
GRXNX.jpg
34KB, 250x174px
>>11811051
I think one of my favorite things about Armored Core is a lot of parts make comebacks in subsequent games.

There's a head part like this in every armored core game. The old Radar-And-Eye-On-A-Stalk head is one of my old favorites.

I'm really hoping to see pic related in a future game. It's the oldest and easily my favorite.

Also, AC6 when?
>>
>>11795253
>selling first-gen KARASAWA when it's the best weapon in the game and by virtue of being a laser rifle costs nothing to use
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.