[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why has the mecha videogame genre been dead in the West since

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 157
Thread images: 29

File: 1402911283545.jpg (177KB, 1024x923px) Image search: [Google]
1402911283545.jpg
177KB, 1024x923px
Why has the mecha videogame genre been dead in the West since last generation? Especially if you take PC into account
>>
>>11209220
>Especially if you take PC into account

What is Mech Warrior Online? What is Strike Suit Zero?

Also, because Mecha just isn't that popular in the west. Same reason CoD type games aren't popular in Japan.
>>
File: titanfall.jpg (360KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
titanfall.jpg
360KB, 1920x1080px
>>11209220
You could argue that this is mecha
even though it really isn't

's fun though
>>
>>11209265
Those are two games in how many years? One is a F2P MMO for christs sake.
>>
Game where you actually get to climb into a mech and personally stop around are rare yeah. On the other hand games with /m/ elements of some sort in them are common as hell, since /m/ is the domain of everything from spaceships to power armor.
>>
>>11209220
ANOTHER MECH THAT SKIPPED LEG DAY.
>>
>>11209409
Oh cool, I guess that answers OP's question why mecha is a dead genre.
>>
>>11209265
>What is Mech Warrior Online? What is Strike Suit Zero?
Both huge letdowns, one with a weak fart and the other with a colossal rotting corpse that will stain the ground for years to come. Neither even managed to present a worthwhile entry to the genres they tried to revive, much less succeeded at continuing the tradition.
>>
>>11209533
How hard is it to make an Armored Core clone in the PC, anyways? I bet /m/en around the world would eat that shit up.
>>
>>11209533
I dunno, SSZ managed to get an arcade scoreboard mode going and a Director's Cut. It isn't ideal, but it isn't nothing.

Nothing but shame for MWO though. Sad that FlyingDebris got his art shackled to that POS, he really deserved better. But then again, not really anybody's fault but PGI's that they outright lied and turned their backs.
>>
I guess there is something about widespread mech usage that doesn't sit well with the western crowd. Maybe it's too much for their suspense of disbelief.

That is not to say they don't like giant robots in general, hell there are a few things as powerful as a sigh of a mechanical giant staring you down. When a mech shows up on the scene you know shit is about to get serious, but I guess that it the extend of their role - being a spectacle rather than the main hero.
>>
>Hurr Western mecha is dead.
>Several mecha titles released in the last four years.
>Hurr they were all terrible though so they don't count.
Keep it classy Anons.
>>
>>11209598
>Several mecha titles released in the last four years

Can I get a list?
>>
>>11209561
Yeah but there's like 200 of us so they'd be cooking for an empty kitchen. Logically it wouldn't be hard and you could probably even pull it off in Unity or something, like Lift did years ago. Problem is that it's only "easy" in the sense that you don't have to pay thousands for a development kit- it still takes time, skills and assets.
>>
Mechs in western fiction are always depicted as being something incredibly advanced or needlessly extravagant and eccentric, so they are usually reserved for aliens or villains. You are more likely to find yourself fighting against them rather than with them.
>>
>>11209610
Strike Suit Zero
Titan Fall
Hawken
Mechwarrior Online
Lost Planet and Front Mission Evolved
If you include indie titles that number will jump to include stuff like MAV.

I'm not saying that these games aren't shit, but I'm also not saying that big-time Western developers have ever really made mecha titles to begin with. Right now sci-fi seems to be getting popular again, so maybe we'll get lucky?
>>
>>11209630
>Front Mission Evolved
>actually reminding us that this exists

Man, fuck you and all that you stand for.

;_;
>>
>>11209630
Man, I agree with you, but looking at that list does make the "they suck so they don't count" argument seem a lot more enticing.
>>
>>11209280
It is, the developers are just faggots.

Yes, it's kinda fun.
>>
>>11209265
CoD is very popular in japan.
>>
I enjoy the Transformers games.

Although yeah, kinda short but I think you guys could have fun with it.

War for Cybertron
Fall of Cybertron
Rise of the Dark Spark
>>
>>11209783
War for Cybertron is fucking amazing.
Too bad multiplayer is pretty much dead.
>>
>>11209783
I heard Dark Spark is a piece of shit movie tie-in game unlike the previous 2 which were their own thing.
>>
File: State of Video Game.jpg (273KB, 1274x409px) Image search: [Google]
State of Video Game.jpg
273KB, 1274x409px
We need a game created to be about mech.
Not a game where the "mech" is just an excuse to have more weapon, flight or rocket-dash, and play like any other First/Third person game.
>>
>>11209789

Well, it's definetely worse than Fall of Cybertron but I really don't get all the criticism it gets. It's not like War/Fall were pieces of art or something.

Rise of the Dark Spark is just to fill the gaps inbetween the two main games and it also ties with the the movie in a weird away (it's a different timeline, it really doesn't affect much)

But yeah, there other two are better of course.
>>
>Got this week's humble bundle for Giant Army
Holy shit this is pretty clunky for a shooter.

I don't think the other games count though since they're made by elevens, nut Astebreed and Pantsu May Cry is fun.
>>
I just want a really in-depth MechWarrior title with all the bits and doodads, the most important part being melee combat, holy shit. How come that hasn't been in a single MechWarrior title?

I just want to rip and tear in an Atlas.
>>
>>11209630
>titanfall
>mech's
>>
>>11211505
iirc there's that 3rd person battletech/mechwarrior game that was taking forever to come out and they prominently featured melee.

>CLANG
>BOOM

I want it.
>>
Is Titanfall worth getting or should I just wait for Titanfall 2?
>>
>>11211754
Depends how much you like CoD.

Because it's CoD with m?e?c?h?s? titans instead of UAV bombing runs or choppers or whatever.
>>
>>11212623
Ah. So forget it then.
>>
>>11212630
The titans are great fun but you could just watch a youtube video of someone climbing into a titan and that's really the best part of Titanfall right there.
>>
When was the mecha game genre NOT dead in the west?

Other than a Mechwarrior title here and there and an Earthsiege every once in a while we had what? Metal Fatigue? One Must Fall? Heavy Gear and Shogo?

That makes it how many titles strewn across two decades? Average it out per year and you get way less titles than what is being released now.
>>
>>11212673
I'll look into it then.
>>
>>11209630
But anon, Lost Planet is by Capcom.
I kid, I know you mean it's western style mecha in general.

But good god all of these games...
>Strike Suit Zero
Couldn't decide what the fuck it wanted to be, absolutely no physical weight to any of the hit detection, wasted Kokia's vocals and couldn't even manage something resembling a plot. Whole thing came off more as a game made by a few Tumblrtards.

>Titan Fall
Everything fucking wrong with Western devs/media regarding mecha ever and to further add insult into injury the mechs suck in this game. They could've simply left them out.

>Hawken
Game at it's core is a fantastic arena shooter but completely dead and wasted. Userbase is anemic, updates are nowhere, devs have spent 3 years and $20mil+ making something that can be barely considered a tech demo. Plus the final nail in the coffin they ban all monetary agreements on the game, meaning no publicity, no advertisement, no LP's, no competitive gaming endorsement.

>Mechwarrior Online
If there ever was a fine example of a dev who should actually be legally vulnerable to a lawsuit by trading standards this game would be it. It is almost criminal they are allowed to continue doing the things they do as a registered business. Also the game is pretty much awful anyway.
>>
>>11212623
Titanfall's gunplay is CODeque, but the reason COD is bad is because of the cramped levels and razor-thin TTKs. Titanfall improves on its failures by adding the jetpacks and open spaces. Unfortunately the price is quite steep for a game that's so lacking in variety.
>>
>>11209280
One of the great things that Lost Planet and Titanfall had in common was the on-and-off style of play.

You start off on foot and it's just another shooter and all's well. Then you find your mech and it's Rock and Roll time. Eventually, you're mech gets busted.No problem, just eject and you're back to fighting on foot.

The mechs themselves aren't unstoppable, you can kill them on foot but being in one is a huge advantage.
>>
>>11212691
>Whole thing came off more as a game made by a few Tumblrtards
I don't understand this assertion. Has tumblr earned a reputation for making half-assed space shooters and being heavy on torpedo cover? Seems more like a typical Kickstarter letdown to me.
>>
File: atlasbp.png (1MB, 1200x676px) Image search: [Google]
atlasbp.png
1MB, 1200x676px
>>11212691
>Everything fucking wrong with Western devs/media regarding mecha ever and to further add insult into injury the mechs suck in this game.

Opinions. You're also blatantly wrong saying that Titans suck. They can very easily mitigate whatever threat pilots actually pose and plenty of the Titan weapons can kill pilots in one shot.

In fact, a lot of people seem to have the notion that Titanfall is "CoD with double jump and bad mechs". It's really not. If anything, It's a game about going fast that somewhat approaches the feel of an older arena style shooter at times. The movement system has much more depth to it than people think by being easy to get into with wallruns but hard to master with its strafejumping and bunnyhopping (since it runs on Source). If you're good at the game you can go really, very fast and rip people to pieces with the shotgun as you go.

The mech designs themselves look great and they play decently, as well. There's some immersion elements at work with the cockpit view, embarking/disembarking and the like and they're pretty agile.

You'd also be surprised by the amount of weebs on the dev team and Eastern references in game
>>
>>11212745
Probably would've been better to have said Deviantart level, but just the general halfassed/amateur thing by casuals who don't 'get it' is basically it.
>>
>>11212681
Well, we also had Battle Engine Aquila, Gun Metal, Slave Zero, Future Cop LAPD, G-Nome ,Shattered Steel, Cyberstorm, and 2 more games I used to play years ago but I can't remember for the life of me.

I'm not saying it's a lot, but this theme is popular enough to pop-up every now and then. We still have a better tracking record than let's say space sims these days.
>>
File: titanfall.jpg (362KB, 985x963px) Image search: [Google]
titanfall.jpg
362KB, 985x963px
>>11212751
>You'd also be surprised by the amount of weebs on the dev team and Eastern references in game
They come as a pretty huge surprise, considering how weird they were about admitting it before the game's release. If nothing else, they sure put a lot of effort into marketing it as CoD with different powerups.
>>
>>11209533
And both are digital only.
I don't understand how people fail to see the relation.
>>
>>11211531
>>11211505
It's even weirder when you think that the board game does feature melee.
>>
File: ogreandpilot.jpg (545KB, 1000x856px) Image search: [Google]
ogreandpilot.jpg
545KB, 1000x856px
>>11212794
And that's just how things has to be, I suppose. Marketing left a lasting, negative stigma upon the game and many will keep dismissing it as just another CoD clone.

However, It's been a nice experience playing with others over on /tfg/ and discovering new mechanics in the game. Such as propelling pilots with Titan ordnance, a form of rocket jump. As stupid as it sounds and take it as you will, but there's like a single digit percentage who'll ever get to experience "true" Titanfall.
>>
File: hatchetman.png (243KB, 746x599px) Image search: [Google]
hatchetman.png
243KB, 746x599px
>>11212834
>pic related in MechWarrior never
>>
>>11209220

Verdict Day is pretty awesome.
>>
File: Mjolnir.jpg (161KB, 575x556px) Image search: [Google]
Mjolnir.jpg
161KB, 575x556px
>>11212860
I still remember a few years back when people were trying to argue that Battletech was super realistic because melee combat was implausible, and only weebshit would have pilots close in and hit each other with swords.

I kinda wonder why melee didn't make it into the Mechwarrior games. DFA and ramming were pretty popular concepts, so a close-range "punch that fucker" button and a set of melee weapons would've been a really interesting addition.
>>
>>11209409
Shogo was, ah, something.

/m/ should make a Doom wad of some sort.
>>
>>11212945
It's funny how people complain about Titanfall being CoD with mechs, but Shogo is considered a classic even though it didn't even bother to wear the mech skin all that well. Blowing open a seven-story apartment building to find a big hollow concrete box with a switch on the floor is one of the most disappointing experiences I've ever had with a video game.
>>
File: youwishyouhadhands.jpg (191KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
youwishyouhadhands.jpg
191KB, 1024x768px
>>11212939
Well, the 'Mechs that focused on melee/short range combat like the hatchetman, as far as I'm concerned were primarily for urban scenarios. You know, where it can be a bit tricky to hit people with LRM salvos and PPC blasts. Clanners weren't huge fans of melee/hand actuators either because "muh efficiency".

At least Spheroids realised that sometimes you just gotta' slap a bitch.
>>
>>11209265
>What is Mech Warrior Online? What is Strike Suit Zero?
Niche shit and niche shit
>>
>>11212939
Westaboo mech fans are myopic it seems.
>>
>>11212974
Uh you do realize you could transform into a Mobile Armour mode in Shogo? Plus you had tractor beam grapple hooks?
>>
>>11212939
I'll be honest as a BT fan the game is extremely unrealistic,
I mean for fucks sake we have multi-ton targeting computers.
>>
>>11213536
>we have multi-ton targeting computers.
Well that's for balance's sake, so it's kinda excusable.
>>
>>11212945
we really should do a Gundam themed DOOM mod, it would be kickass
>>
Anyone here who's played Heavy Gear 2's space levels KNOWS that the world is being deprived of a proper space robot sim-like game. Those three levels, as awesome as they are, are not enough to satisfy that itch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8ljXhiElEc

You'd think someone would have made one around 2000 or so.
>>
>>11213536
That's addressed in the backstory; after the First and Second Succession Wars, a lot of the factories capable of building spare parts or new ones for complex things like targeting systems were nuked out of existence. Add in ComStar deliberately assassinating people trying to reclaim the tech and you've got issues.

Remember, before the clan invasion, a battlemech was usually hundreds of years old and by owning one, a family was considered nobility. That targeting computer had probably been burnt out centuries ago and entire generations had piloted that machine without even knowing it existed.
>>
Mechwarrior 4 : merc is not working on win7.
Is there any patch or fix for it?
>>
>>11215444
I played it on Win 8 with no issues at all.

I just had to use compatibility mode and run it as admin
>>
>>11215475
i did and a window comes and vanishes just after setting the configuration, even on lowest.
The one I have is not the freeware version though

Do I need to get the mech pack discs ?
>>
>>11215672
I have absolutely no idea, but I'm pretty sure I ran the freeware
>>
>>11209265
>Same reason CoD type games aren't popular in Japan.

CoD is actually super popular in Japan.
>>
Check the steam greenlit games for mech/robot. There like 5 games they're making, one that's called beyond flesh and blood or something g like that? Plus project nimbus and another one I can't remember.
>>
>>11215311
But 1990s computers beat the hell out of anything the Star League had.
>>
>>11209265

Because MWO a shit, and the new hotness is space sims again, and I'm ok with that.

If space sims of all things got a revival, I'm sure mech games will have their day too.
>>
>>11212773
>We still have a better tracking record than let's say space sims these days
Uh, no? If you're going to include everything under the sun, Space Sim has the Mecha genre beat. Just look at a list of space sims released from 2000 to 2014 and compare it to Mecha's.
>>
>>11217078
Their space ships can probably run on ipads these days.
>>
Airmech is around and is pretty fun to play.
>>
>>11217331
It's also not a "Mecha" game. As in, the core mechanics of the game are not centered around piloting and fighting with a giant robot but instead they're focused around DotA-like Mechanics.

It's a pretty good and fair game, but it still isn't what the OP or much of /m/ is asking for.
>>
That reminds me. Is Jupiter Ascending /m/? I'm actually just going to watch it because of that one power armor/mech thing that appeared in the trailer for 1 second.
>>
>>11222189
When the trailer showed I think there was a thread about that, I addition to Sci if Tom cruise: the movie. So yeah probably
>>
File: hawken_06.jpg (292KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
hawken_06.jpg
292KB, 1280x800px
>>11209220
HAWKEN
>>
>>11223281
call of duty with jetpack and skate thrusters.
>>
>>11225107
>Impying this game favours twitch reflexes
>>
>>11225122
COD doesn't either, the maps are designed so someone will always spawn somewhere he can pot shot you.
>>
Is there any good /m/ WRPGs?
>>
>>11225471
You'd have to define what you mean by WRPG for starters, but Deus Ex is pretty /m/ with cyborgs and GitS-like feels.
>>
>>11225471
Titans of Steel! Make a crew and get deployed on missions so you can pay for your monthly expenses. Unfortunately, the game is designed after Battletech's rules somewhat, so you get really powerful weapons that can potentially 4 shot an opponent but even with max skills you will miss a lot. Also, deploying more than 3 mechs is a chore in the battlefield because it's turn based in a very functional yet worst kind of way.

If you're thinking something along the lines of >>11227074 then The Precursors might be enjoyable.
>>
>>11227074
The gameplay can be turn-based or action, it doesn't really matter. Just as long as it's from the west.
>>
>>11227161
/m/ stuff?

XCom Enemy Unknown
Deus Ex
>>
>>11209265
the fact that strike suit zero had a mech was utterly irrelevant to the gameplay. It was just a straight up arcade style dogfighting game
>>
Games dedicated to mech combat are fairly rare, but I've noticed that there are quite a lot of major games that have mech sections in them. Killzone, gears of war, halo, titanfall, F.E.A.R., they're everywhere.
>>
File: ouch.jpg (6KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
ouch.jpg
6KB, 200x200px
>>11209637

tfw there will never be another mecha srpg ever again
>>
>>11228189
Well, MAV happened for Chrome Hounds so maybe something will happen for FM and its ilk too in the far off future.
>>
>>11228348
With the western indie scene, it's much more plausible than it was a few years ago.

Like wise, Front Mission always had a slant more towards the "Walking Tank" side of mecha instead of the fast-moving assault mechs of more Japanese influence. So a indie with a decent budget could definitely do it.
>>
OP here. I meant mech games being released in the west at all, not "western mech games".

>>11212751
If Titanfall devs don't want to call it a mech game, I"ll gladly oblige and not call it a mech game.
>>
File: 123456789123469.webm (3MB, 800x600px)
123456789123469.webm
3MB, 800x600px
>>
>>11229362
It's because they wanted to differentiate themselves from the MechWarrior franchise in which people pilot 'Mechs.

That's why they made such a big deal about the word "mech". iirc their blurb was worded to essentially put down MechWarrior and pat themselves on the back. But looking at MWO I guess maybe that's deserved a little.
>>
>>11230282
I kind of saw it as "We are the first people to do fast robots ever!" completely forgetting abut stuff like AC4A.
>>
>>11230567
Their use of the word "mech" offended many on /m/ who took it to mean big robot in general, and you are correct that Titanfall did not invent robots that fast and powerful but that's not quite what the devs were trying to say. I reiterate that the Titanfall devs were specifically picking a fight with MechWarrior/Battletech 'Mechs, saying that Titanfall has big robots but they're not slow like a battlemech.

the devs making a whole big deal about the word "mech" was because they're picking a fairly well-known western franchise with giant robots and telling people that they can do it better. Put down your competition to make yourself look better. In their situation I understand the need to differentiate Titanfall from similar things but I think they did it poorly and made themselves look like dicks.
>>
>>11230567
>>11230282
If anything, It's just that they had a "fun things are fun" mindset to it all. In the fluff they also mention that the Titans are the evolution of fledgling exoskeletons which to some level reflects that they intended Titans to be an extension of the player/pilot rather than a big stompy robot. They're not jet fighters but still quite agile.

I'd assume that they just wanted to avoid using the word "mech" because they believed that the word projected a negative image for most people in the West. I play both AC and MW so I don't really "discriminate".
>>
>>11230567
It's one side panel in a preview article in a physical magazine (who even reads those anymore?), taken at the time when this game's hype was at it's highest peak. Can there be any kind of PR excreta that deserves less attention?
>>
See >>11212794

For the nth time they're not putting you down /m/, they're picking a fight with Battletech.
>>
>>11212751
What weeb references were there?
>>
>>11230709
Angel City is blatantly Japanese with cherry blossoms, moonrunes everywhere and that type of stuff. The artbook/interviews mention that they just put in stuff from their favorite animus

I don't run all over the maps looking for it but it's there
>>
>>11230669

The hilarious thing is, now that I look into it, the fastest titan sprints at 435 map units per second, which works out to about 18.5mph, or 29.75kph.

Mechwarrior's Atlas cruises at 33kph, and it's a slow fucker. The fastest battlemechs are something like five times faster than a sprinting titan.
>>
>>11212794
>not your dad's
how many times did I read that shit. And every time the game ended up being a dumbed down piece of shit
>>
>>11233493
Also when did my dad ever have a giant robot?
>>
>>11230268
ho god, downloading
>>
File: heavyge.jpg (24KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
heavyge.jpg
24KB, 300x300px
>>11229356
>>11228348
I want some indie to do a Heavy-Gear style game. Make it low poly.
>>
Verdict Day fucking has to come out for PC already.

Dark souls 1 was a hit on PC, Dark souls 2 even bigger hit

And ACVD is basically Dark Souls with mechs, so I don't see why they haven't already
>>
File: sadfrog.jpg (94KB, 399x388px) Image search: [Google]
sadfrog.jpg
94KB, 399x388px
>>11230268
>that feel when can't get it to work on Win7
>>
>>11233599
>And ACVD is basically Dark Souls with mechs

You wish.
ACVD is shit, be glad you can't play it.
>>
File: 1199943706093.jpg (380KB, 1637x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1199943706093.jpg
380KB, 1637x1500px
Things I hate in most Mech game :

You are piloting a wonderful legged vehicle with an incredible range of possibility, motion, cross country capability and outside the box tactic (deploying fix weapon, shooting from cover...etc).

How do you use it ?
Like a 360° tank on a flat ground with a few obstacle you don't just "hop over" but fly over using thruster that could be mounted on anything else.
And when you aren't running on flat grounds you are hovering/skiing/driving around.

All that wasted potential
>>
Because you can't play a realistic mech game with a simple controller. You don't have enough inputs. Movement is also slow on controllers, so 2D maps work better. Destructible environments also take a lot of power, which consoles don't have. Look at BF4 maps compared to BF2 maps, for an example.

It's no coincidence that the end of mech games ended when developers went console focused in the early 2000's.
>>
>>11233503
Never, he isn't into PC game. Hell, I actually wonder if he ever played something in his life besides some PSone with me. He didn't even play when he brought me to the arcades, just spent and watched.
>>
>>11233623
Eat shit, it's a good game. Issues are slow framerate and lacking parts diversity but certainly not "being shit".
>>
>>11233864
So you are saying you hate all mecha games?
>>
>>11212735
>You start off on foot and it's just another shooter and all's well

It's not. Titanfall's infantry combat feels more like a modern spin on oldschool arena shooters. Even the levels, albeit bigger, are geared that way. The game is a LOT better than people give it credit for.
>>
>>11233864
I don't understand

You want mech games to play like generic third person cover shooters where you can carry and deploy turrets?
>>
File: 1239862460905.jpg (258KB, 1050x1498px) Image search: [Google]
1239862460905.jpg
258KB, 1050x1498px
>>11234404
I totally agree with that, it was a good justification for old system.
But even if graphic evolved incredibly and we start seeing physics becoming more and more present, the gameplay itself didn't changed much. Mechs are "point moving in a 2D world like a human character".
Worse, mech game are a niche, so it's incredible Steel Battalion even existed.

>>11234369
I'm disappointed by many, even if I still enjoy them. Even the one that are basically magic flying mech like Zone of the Enders/

>>11233949
More like a simulation that justify mech having arms.
My wish would be a "Spintires" game with Military mech from Patlabor.
>>
File: HeavyGear2_4.webm (3MB, 1024x768px)
HeavyGear2_4.webm
3MB, 1024x768px
>>11233621
>tfw there are work arounds now
>>
File: 123456789123654.webm (3MB, 640x480px)
123456789123654.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>
File: 123456789123474.webm (3MB, 640x480px)
123456789123474.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>
>>11235167
any good wine wrappers yet?
>>
File: 123456789123471.webm (3MB, 640x480px)
123456789123471.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>11235242
>wine wrappers
I don't use a mac so I wouldn't know.
>>
File: 123456789123473.webm (3MB, 640x480px)
123456789123473.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>
File: Robotech Battlecry.jpg (59KB, 563x478px) Image search: [Google]
Robotech Battlecry.jpg
59KB, 563x478px
>>11233864
So you're saying you want Robotech: Battlecry
>>
>>11235483
That was a pretty fun game.
>>
>>11233864
That did always bother me about mechwarrior games. From my perspective in the cockpit, I am driving a tank with a shitty turret that can't turn all the way around. Some of the tanks have jets to fly into the air a little. There was really nothing about the gameplay that had anything to do with my vehicle having legs.

>>11235556
I liked it, but eventually ragequit over like the 10th shitty escort mission.
>>
>>11236280
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnDPWPstTH0
The ps2 Macross game was much better.
>>
>>11230622
>slow
>battlemech.
What gave them this idea?
>>
>>11236887
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZdYDe47nyU
It is though.
>>
>>11237288
oh I get it, you tried to be ironic.
>>
File: AC4GA.jpg (102KB, 800x517px) Image search: [Google]
AC4GA.jpg
102KB, 800x517px
>>11209220
It might be better to ask, as in >>11209265 and >>11212691, why 'mech games tend to be either underwhelming or fall under the radar.

Personally I'm of the opinion that mecha simply does not translate into a satisfying real time experience for the vast majority of players. There's just too many inconsistencies in the physics that they demand.

-If you make the mecha sufficiently agile (Heavy Gear), you're essentially playing scaled up humanoids, and that raises the question of why bother with mecha in the first place?

-If the mecha are big and stompy (like in Mechwarrior Online), players will optimize towards pinpoint shooting, turning games into a duck-and-cover long-range sniper duel, much like modern tank battles.
This simply illustrates that a 10-ft tall bipedal war machine is an awful fighting platform. There's a reason why MBT design and tactics have progressed the way they have - it just makes sense to mount a single really big, accurate, long-ranged weapons than a multitude of smaller guns, because shooting without getting hit generally trumps shooting it out.

If the mecha fly with boosters (ala Armored Core), or skate on wheels (ala Front Mission), this raises the question of why even build a war machine with legs in the first place? Isn't the whole point of legs that you walk with them?

I think mecha actually shine in the strategy/tactics genre, where the thorny question of how you actually fight effectively with them in a real-time environment is conveniently sidestepped, but strategy as a genre is somewhat in decline.
>>
>>11237515
I think those reasons are largely why Western mecha in games tend to be the way they are. Western games in general tend to derive gameplay largely based on the playable character. It reminds me of an interview with the Insomniac developers on why they abandoned the Spyro franchise and let Universal find other developers. The gist of it was that Spyro, as a quadrupedal character, was unable to use weapons like a bipedal character would, and they were itching to do a game based on weapons. which is why their next major franchise would be Ratchet and Clank.

Meanwhile, Japanese companies are fine with having characters in a variety of games. Even in his inception, Mario was being used for a variety of games with different gameplay.Sure it was just platformers at first, but then you had Mario puzzle games and stuff like the Game and Watch titles, and later the sports games.

Which isn't to say there aren't exceptions, but generally I find that Western developers want concepts to feel tied to the style of gameplay.Clunky, slow chicken walker types feel more obviously like robots than super robot types, which might as well be normal size cyborgs/ninjas/whatever in terms of gameplay.
>>
>>11237742
I'm not sure if the Spyro/Mario comparison is a fair one.

Mario's mostly humanoid and thus can participate in a lot of games that demand humanoid functions - golf, tennis, kart racing, etc. Other Western developers have put mascot characters into all sorts of spinoff material.
>>
File: 1343756866223.jpg (488KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1343756866223.jpg
488KB, 1920x1200px
Developer just lack the incentive to try something new, and if they have it, they keep it simple, thinking that casual are too stupid to be worth the effort.

>>11237515
Your first point is a perfectly viable way to make a mech-game as long as the "humanoid mech" can do things that is inhuman in nature but require a limbed machine.

The second point is more tricky, but you could still make it relevant if you ever had to move in harsh (more complex) environment with big obstacle, steep slope, and required tactic, scale or equipment unavailable or unpractical for human or tracked vehicle.
For now such obstacle course are limited to FPS or platform-game where special move are important feature.

The last point lead to the first.

All this can be inconsequential if one dare creating a grossly coherent in-universe reason for mech design, however studio won't put money into details if it limit the possibility for sequel. So we either get a new gameplay but a nonsensical universe, or a (relatively) good universe with a simple but overused gameplay.

Those problems stay in Strategy game.
Mech are treated like any other unit and rarely get special use adapted to their nature (like climbing or passing obstacle)
How many time have I seen walker being stuck by lowly obstacle because they were just tank in disguise ?
How many time have I seen walker incapable of climbing a slope intended to be obstacle for any "ground-type vehicle" ?

The game itself wasn't very good, but I was surprised to discover in Battlezone 2 that the Xion mech could actually climb over cliffs in a game where the use of terrain can be important.
>>
>>11237742
>The gist of it was that Spyro, as a quadrupedal character, was unable to use weapons like a bipedal character would, and they were itching to do a game based on weapons
Haha ho wow, what a bunch of unimaginative incompetent morons. Surely it's not possible to make him hold weapons in its jaw or mount them on its back. I know the industry was full of retards but I wasn't expecting it to be that bad.
>>
>>11237515
>If the mecha fly with boosters (ala Armored Core), or skate on wheels (ala Front Mission), this raises the question of why even build a war machine with legs in the first place?

To facilitate jumping and/or landing safely after a jump. Walking may also be more efficient for certain terrains or scenarios where skating or flying is not
>>
>>11233864

What would be your idea system? I have to admit my favorite controls have either been Front Mission style or Zone.
>>
>>11209220
PGI took over the mechwarrior franchise, blocking anyone from doing anything with it

mechwarrior online is fucking terrible, save from sound effects. lots of legal disputes.
>>
File: 1332338098201.jpg (193KB, 520x500px) Image search: [Google]
1332338098201.jpg
193KB, 520x500px
>>11238594
I don't have preference, I just want mecha game to make you feel like you are piloting something.

I started with Mechwarrior 3 and Armored Core, Battlezone felt "mecha" because not only you could move in all direction but you had inertia and optionally could hop out the vehicle. I've seen Half-life mods for Mecha that had meaningful mode-change, Old Gundam for PS2 that required to really maneuver around...etc

Sometime its just the immersion that pose problem. You have the mech-looking machine, you have a gameplay that isn't bad, but you just feel playing a FPS, a fantasy RPG or driving a tank.

Of course I do have a wish (aka : game I have better luck to do myself).
A game of Patlabor-like military mech, you would have a quasi-support role helping infantry, switching weapon and role, doing anti-air for tank, ambushing enemy from unexpected terrain, clearing obstacle or even doing recon because just moving the mech around would be interesting. Oh and lastly you would have 5 different models from spider-mech to legged-gunship an humanoid for different game experience.

If at least the gameplay was great I wouldn't care much with cheap-trick to keep the player alive (so don't bother telling me "mech can't be real", that's not the point).
>>
>>11225471
Well, Fallout 3/NV can be pretty /m/ at times, what with power armor, Liberty Prime, and giant powered punching gloves.
>>
File: battle station.jpg (69KB, 580x300px) Image search: [Google]
battle station.jpg
69KB, 580x300px
I just want another crunchy sim mech game.
>>
>>11242817
I fucking love that setup. I'll make one of these someday when I have time to burn.
>>
>>11242847
Shame there's no game to play on it.
>>
Why would you ever mention MWO other than "how to ruin a series with a shit ton of money that goes nowhere"
>>
While we're talking about games

Holy shit, how do you even beat the Arena in AC: Project Phantasma without Human Plus? Even with human plus a lot of these guys are difficult since they're all human plus wielding Karasawas and moonlights among other heavy back mounted weapons
>>
>no shooter mech fps where you shoot a shitton of aliums
man i just want to kill some aliums
>>
>>11244734
chaingun strafing.
>>
>>11242859
Emulating Darius II is always an option.

In fact it's the best option.
>>
>>11244762
But you need human plus for that unless you're a quad leg, in which case you're too slow to dodge all of their shit or get them in your sights. Some of these fuckers are crazy fast. The only way I beat them was to get the highest end dual back missiles and blast them from the sky
>>
File: 1404703885182.webm (3MB, 800x450px)
1404703885182.webm
3MB, 800x450px
>>11244751
Release date: Never.
>>
>>11244767
Also, the top 4 cheat. They have infinite boost...
>>
>>11209220
Because it requires too much money and effort to market a mech-centric game, and when it does exist, is usually just an accessory to a game system that will actually sell. Look at Titanfall (yeah, yeah, it's not /m/) and the upcoming Call of Duty with it's power armor. The mechs in Titanfall are just accessories to the otherwise typical FPS games, and in Cawadooty, it's just flavor designs to theme up the setting.

>>11212735
Titanfall plays like Halo with Mantis units available for half of each starting team, only with customization.
>>
>>11209220
Because Westerners want instant action. They don't want to spend time kitting out their mech or tuning and tweaking the finer elements, when all they have to do is swap weapons/jobs/armor then hit go.

The limit at which most Westerners seem to draw the line at is the basic customization level, whether it's customizing a spacecraft or some terrestrial vehicle.

Actually adding armor to specific locations instead of just a general armor boost item? Too complicated.

Planning how much ammo can be carried instead of just having fixed ammo and a general ammo boost item? Too complicated.

Weight distribution affecting handling beyond basic movement? Too complicated.
>>
>>11212939
>I still remember a few years back when people were trying to argue that Battletech was super realistic because melee combat was implausible

Those were the PC game players. On the Tabletop, slapping a bitch with his own blown off arm or leg is what you're playing for.
>>
>>11244774
I guess we should have bough more hugpillows.
>>
File: edfss4.jpg (154KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
edfss4.jpg
154KB, 1280x720px
>>11244751

Fucking Earth Defense Force is a thing, you know.
>>
Because stomping around in a robot wrecking things doesn't make for long term sales; moreso, when there's limitations on them. People have come to expect robots being either EVIL or capable of taking on entire armies with ease. Balancing a game that would allow for a certain degree of feeling like a war god while still keeping some limitations is rather difficult, as opposed to balancing a ship or tank, which have their own preconceived notions of how they are expected to operate (and have far less expectations).

Which is unfortunate; Robot Alchemic Drive + Pacific Rim seems like such a perfect fusion for being a hulking avatar beating the shit out of monsters, with possible collateral damage, and a simple but straightforward equipment loadout.
>>
>>11237515
Actually, if you've played Heavy Gear (esp with a flight stick) you'd know the game is nothing like controlling a human. The way the gears accelerate and slow down, the turning circles at different speeds, the various sensors, comms and weapon systems, stances, etc.
>>
Maybe someone already addressed it, but there are all these claims about mecha being dead in the west, can someone tell me what all the huge glut of mecha games are in the east that we are all missing. I can only think of Armored Core V, and VD, recent EDF sorta counts, Couple of Gundam dynasty warriors, and one or two strange little F2P online fighter games. What new and exciting Mecha IP have come out recently in the East, I think mecha games are dead period.
>>
>>11244857
Sandlot treats us pretty well.
Thread posts: 157
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.