[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

We're pretty much all Godzilla when it comes to daikaiju

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

We're pretty much all Godzilla when it comes to daikaiju flicks (and Pacific Rim), so tell me: What are some good giant monster movies that aren't Godzilla or Pacific Rim?
>>
The Legend of the Dinosaurs
The Last Dinosaur
Daigoro Vs Goliath
Godzilla 1998
>>
The Gamera Trilogy
>>
>Daigoro vs. Goliath
It's a really weird movie, but actually a lot of fun to watch. It's basically about Japan as a country having their own giant monster raised by people, the baby of their Godzilla equivalent (always wrecking shit, etc.). Then a bigger monster from space shows up, and the Japan monster (Diagoro) has to learn to fight him. I seriously wish there were sequels to it, the movie is just fun.

>The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms
Classic. Giant lizard goes on a rampage, lots of destruction, lots of cool imagery of the Rhedosaurus wrecking shop.

>Rebirth of Mothra 3
Skip the first two, which are aimed entirely at little girls. The third one, however, is a lot darker with some great visuals. Grand Ghidorah is one of the best looking (if not THE best next to Showa) Ghidorahs Toho has ever made. A lot of cool visuals, and more character depth to the Fairies than ever before. All you need to know going in is that Heisei Mothra's dead, she gave birth to Mothra Leo, Mothra Leo's pretty much unbeatable with a million beam attacks, and the Fairies have sister who is a cunt.
>>
>>10941301
I'm adding on "Gamera vs. Monster X," "Gamera vs. Barugon," and the Japanese "Gamera vs. Viras" without the 20 minutes of stock footage.

"Monster X" is surreal entertainment.
"Barugon" actually has a really interesting plot with the humans. There isn't enough Gamera and the mid-fight is really slow, but it's actually kind of compelling watching these thieves all fight to survive the consequences (BIG consequences) of their actions.
"Viras" is fun alien invader goofiness.
>>
>>10941314
>Grand Ghidorah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgTFkx1FnjE

Glorious bastard.
>>
>No Rodan

plebs
>>
>>10941301
This and the Mothra trilogy have some of the best miniature work in recent memory.
>>
Any of the old Toho solo movies, Mothra, Rodan so on. Atragon's really cool.
>>10941324
>Gamera vs Monster X
oh yeah, the one at Expo `70. Yeah, that one's cool. That was the same guy who was Cornjob in Gamera vs Guiron?
>>
Gehara
Frankenstein Conquers the World
Cloverfield
The Magic Serpent
Daimajin
Negadon
Mothra
The Mysterians
Gamera the Brave
Ultraman the Next
War of the Gargantuas
Troll Hunter
Yamato Takeru
Gappa
>>
File: Yonggary-Vs-Cyker.jpg (94KB, 411x606px) Image search: [Google]
Yonggary-Vs-Cyker.jpg
94KB, 411x606px
I only bring this up because I rewatched it recently. It's a thing. A magical, magical thing.

Now for an actual good one...
...Gorgo's pretty neat.
>>
>>10941448
Not sure, but the Jiger fights were probably the best in the Showa series.
>>
>>10941301
There's also a gag dub of the 2nd movie, and a gag Gamera and Iris Commentary on the 3rd.
>>
>>10941281
Daimajin Trilogy is fucking fantastic if you love your Japanese period dramas, with the added bonus of a giant terracotta Samurai God wrecking shit. It's available on Region Free Blu-Ray too, same as the Hisei Gamera trilogy. Haven't seen the recent reboot, which is more of a coming of age dorama.
>>
>>10941607
Gamera The Brave is...a weird mix of the Showa and Heisei trilogy.
And Gamera has a mostly stock generic roar.
>>
>>10941640
No, I meant the Daimajin reboot.
>>
File: Coming soon.jpg (235KB, 923x443px) Image search: [Google]
Coming soon.jpg
235KB, 923x443px
I'm a big fan of Showa Gamera, and movies of that era in general. Ishiro Honda made some fantastic stuff back in the day... sadly, a lot of it is hard to find in good quality. For now. Torrent soon, keep your eyes peeled.
>>
>>10941640
"The Brave" made the mistakes that the Trilogy avoided: It tried too hard to generate emotion. The whole drama of Toto is just stock drama with no real need for Gamera, or even a giant monster. It's just too generic for me to care, and most of the time it's the score trying to make you feel sad.
The Trilogy just plays on what makes the genre unique: The giant monsters. When you first see Gamera in "Guardian of the Universe," you really get a sense of just how big he is, and when he starts getting his ass whooped in "Advent of Legion," you feel the pain, and the fear of Legion taking over the planet.
>>
Seems like the best place to ask. Did that guy upload the Rebirth of Mothra trilogy? The ones on TPB are all pretty bad and there's only the dub for the first one.
>>
>>10941681
Watching "vs. Gaos" now. The human stuff's tolerable but not special. The fights are fucking awesome, though. Gotta love Gaos.
>>
>>10941681
>Rodan
>720p
Is that the Japanese original? I've not looked around recently, but last time I looked I could only find the american release iirc.
>>
Seconding Troll Hunter, also Them! And old titans movie
>>
>>10946523
Yes, they're all the original japanese. I'm planning on posting a torrent once I finish ripping my gamera blu rays.
>>
File: 1400457541311.jpg (53KB, 454x470px) Image search: [Google]
1400457541311.jpg
53KB, 454x470px
Rodan is the absolute best stand-alone monster movie second only to the original Godzilla.
>>
>>10947350
Clash of the Titans?

Harryhausen was the man.
>>
>>10941681
C- could you stream the Hesei Gamera movies? I've been meaning to watch them.
>>
>>10948072
Heh, that could be fun. A weekend monster movie stream or something. I've never done anything like that, but I'll look into it. Keep your eyes out for a torrent, too, like I said, that whole collection's going up once I rip my last 2 Gamera BDs (which I will do after I clear some hard drive space - BD50s are fucking enormous).
>>
>>10941281
The 90s Gamera trilogy.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.