[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some other good books about foreign policy/affairs and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

File: kissinger.jpg (39KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
kissinger.jpg
39KB, 400x400px
What are some other good books about foreign policy/affairs and diplomatic relations?

Doesn't matter how broad or specific it is.
>>
Why does Kissinger get so much hate? I've rarely seen him praised.
>>
>>7698423
He worked for Nixon
>>
>>7698423

The realism school of foreign policy is pretty detested by a lot of liberals. It already comes off as grim and dry, doesn't help that Kissinger is the international relations version of Ben Stein when it comes to the way he communicates.
>>
KISSINGER? I JUST MET HER!
>>
>>7698445
The G is too hard for this joke. I don't care if someone you really like it said it, and we can do without the greentext. The joke doesn't work.
>>
>>7698425
Nixon was based as fuck
>>
I'm a G that's too hard, but you're the joke
>>
>>7698425
It's for a bit more than that, come on now faggot.
>>
>>7698481
I meant why the average liberal hated him.

They learn Nixon is bad and Kissinger worked for him, ergo Kissenger is bad.

You expect the average Daily Show watching troglodyte to actually read "Diplomacy" and form an opinion on his theories?
>>
>>7698419
ZOG kikesupremacist creep
>>
>>7698484
it's possible to like nixon and still think kissinger was a faggot
>>
>>7698484
No I don't. I just hate the acting like the only possible reason someone can have a negative opinion of someone is if that someone is a member of the opposing party. It kind of makes the concept of objectivity impossible, and so no one is ever guilty because party slaves are always willing to defend their legitimacy, whether his theories have any merit or not.
>>
>>7698530
last time I heard from him he was shilling for Hillary's campaign, so I don't think he was ever loyal to one side in particular
>>
>>7698546

I'm pretty sure he also did shit during the Carter administration.
>>
>>7698419

Before the thread dies does anyone have any actual recommendations?
>>
>>7698667
perception and misperception in international politics
>>
>>7698423
He's often hated because he's taken as a student of "realpolitik"; see >>7698435.

Read Niall Ferguson's biography of him (there's expected to be a second volume within a few years here; the biography is very new). It becomes clear pretty quickly that Kissinger is 1) a *Kantian* (I'm just as surprised as any of you are), and 2) has little time for Machiavelli who he didn't think was relevant. As a result, his mode of diplomacy is misunderstood from the outset, and characterized as conniving instead, when that's not the case. It's exceedingly moral, but it's probably decried just as much for that element as it is for being supposedly amoral or immoral.
>>
>>7698419
Lee Kuan Yew - The Singapore Story, Vol1 and Vol2

In unrelated news, if anyone can tell me where I can DL the second volume, I'd be eternally grateful.
>>
>>7698546
>>7698667
Here we are again, at a paradox: Kissinger is hated for meddling with republican and democratic administrations, so with my partisan understanding of political truths, one party being utterly sperious and the other having all the answers, where do I put Kissinger (is he a good guy or a bad guy?) Fucking sad really.
>>
File: 200.jpg (12KB, 200x302px) Image search: [Google]
200.jpg
12KB, 200x302px
This is a really good book that came out recently

>Chapters
Prelude: On not seeing the monster -- Introduction: Chronicle of an obituary foretold -- A cosmic beat -- Ends and means -- Kissinger smiled -- Nixon style -- Anti-Kissinger -- Opposite of unity -- Secrecy and spectacle -- Inconceivable -- Cause and effect -- Onward to the gulf -- Darkness into light -- Epilogue: Kissingerism without Kissinger.

>abstract
"A new account of America's most controversial diplomat that moves beyond praise or condemnation to reveal Kissinger as the architect of America's current imperial stance."
>>
>>7698728
>>7698423
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lw3B8vjIC0

in case you haven't seen it
>>
>>7698728
I haven't understood the "Kissinger was a nihilist realpolitikist" either.

Fuck, the left should love him because of his cultural relativist slant. "Culture x does things this way, there's no point in banging our heads against a wall, we adapt, do things their way to placate them, as long as the result is good" basically.
>>
>>7698423
The two major condemnations of him are his encouragement of bombing Vietcong in Cambodia (this makes him a war criminal, not that it means much) and his backing of respressive South American regimes an overthrowing South American democratic regime.

He is one of the architects of the current American Empire and is an enemy of liberalism.
>>
>>7698876
Also, he murdered General Schneider of Chile to suit your "Empire" or whatever.
>>
File: super-imperialism-0745319890.jpg (37KB, 350x559px) Image search: [Google]
super-imperialism-0745319890.jpg
37KB, 350x559px
>>7698419
This book focuses on economics and finance. Michael Hudson is a great economist so any of his books would be good, this one is his most important.
>>
>>7698944
ayy why not chomsky while youre at it lmao

hippy scum
>>
>>7698958
good goyim
>>
>>7698876
leftists should like him tbqh
he actually took communism seriously enough to intervene in it
>>
>>7698977
I wish my country had the balls to pursue imperialist ambitions
>>
>>7698986
Are you an oligarch? If you aren't then imperialism will hurt you.
>>
>>7698419
The title is cheesy, but The Dictator's Handbook is really informative and is somewhat related to what you're looking for
>>
File: images.jpg (9KB, 190x266px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9KB, 190x266px
>>7698986
[disdain intensifies]
>>
I think that Chomsky's "Understanding Power" is pretty good. Its in the style of a couple of dialogues at public lectures. Bonus is that it gives you the gist of manufacturing consent but then goes more into the foreign policy aspects.
>>
>>7698798
>>7698546
>>7698604

You missed my point

I was explaining why the average liberal hated him.
>>
>>7698419
>>>/his/
>>
Never trust a Realist as far as International Relations is concerned.

Never trust a Liberal in that regard, also.
>>
>>7698423

Because he's a war criminal and general scumbag.
>>
The Peloponnesian War - Thucydides
>>
Tragedy and Hope
>>
>>7700985
What translation?
>>
>>7700294
your profound insights into the nature of this hypothetical being are much appreciated. thank you very much
>>
Le NWO Goy
>>
>>7700294
Die tripfag
>>
>>7700914

So what should we do, my emanate edge lord?
>>
Bump for davey
>>
cheers gayface
>>
Look at War on the Rocks for Book Reviews.

Robert Kagan was really influential on the Iraq and Afghanistan war.
>>
File: weir-book.jpg (22KB, 341x356px) Image search: [Google]
weir-book.jpg
22KB, 341x356px
>>
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.