[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

st johns college annapolis

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (17KB, 222x241px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17KB, 222x241px
i've seen quite a few posters on here who have gone here/went here. i was wondering if anyone could help me out.

i'm 22, have been working and living on my own for a few years. did not go to college right after high school because i had no idea what i wanted from an education. i found out about st johns a few months ago and i'm convinced it's exactly what i want from a school.

the problem is, i'll be 23 next november in my freshman year. they don't do transfers so none of my community college credits count at the school. i know i'm not super old or anything but i am wondering if i will stick out/not relate to my peers/have a bad experience because of my age. i've almost convinced myself not go recently but i also really want that kind of education so i'm not sure.

any advice would be greatly apreciated. if there is another great books school that would be more suitable for me please tell me about it.
>>
File: 1445998397929.png (116KB, 204x268px) Image search: [Google]
1445998397929.png
116KB, 204x268px
>am I too old to go to school at 23
Give us another o.
>>
>>7697772
i know, i'm a huge faggot. i know that most of what i'm saying is faggotry, but i still experience it and want to know how much of it is true.
>>
I was a mature student about your age at a public university and no one gave half a shit ever

Also I banged teenagers

Not sure what that place is like though
>>
>>7697860
Also I constantly got attention from professors because they thought it was weird that I'd go to college in my twenties for a humanities degree out of passion (less likely that I was yet another teenager going because they don't know what else to do and their parents wanted them to do something), and because I took it more seriously than most other students because it was my life + my future and I was very conscious of that, I think in a way that teenagers who think life lasts forever generally aren't
>>
people aren't weirded out by older folks in their classes. i remember having quite a few in some of mine throughout undergrad, esp the night classes. i respected them for being in school and giving it a go. stop worrying so much and think about your education
>>
>>7697735
>23
>i know i'm not super old or anything
Go home, gramps. You should be starting your MA or doctoral studies at 23
>>
>>7697955
This. Give up. Die.
you're a cunt lad.
>>
>>7697912
There's a dude who's about 30 in my material science class for engineering. It's really fucking weird when he talks about his personal experience in class and everyone's like "wtf dude how old are you"
>>
>>7697968
Are you like 16?
What the fuck is weird about that?
>>
>>7697968
There's a 33 year old or something in my MA cohort

No one has batted an eyelash at him being older. Seems like a serious researcher too, cool guy. Great to drink with.
>>
>>7697735
OP, relax. I know a girl who has just started uni and she is like 25. She even has a son and she is doing it really well.
>>
>>7697955
this is what i keep telling myself but like the other people in the thread have said i also am hopeful that i can start doing well now and it will be fine. fuck i should have gone to school when i was 18. huge mistake.
>>
>>7697995
>>7697955
Are all Americans this ruined?
>>
>>7698002
I am from Eastern Europe.
>>
>>7697995
Yeah then you could be one of the ten billion 24 year old retards on their fourth parentally funded MA in shit they don't care about

Americans are braindead railroaders who ruin their children
>>
>>7697960
not going to do either. any other options?
>>
>>7697995
holy shit. regretting is a huge waste of time, really. Move on and just start to do what you planned to do right now.
>>
>>7697995
Jesus Christ, you're only 22. Not everybody is 18 in college, you have a decent amount who are 19 and 20 too. You're pretty much the exact same age. It doesn't fucking matter. I could understand if you were like 40 or something.
>>
File: lololol.jpg (81KB, 806x401px) Image search: [Google]
lololol.jpg
81KB, 806x401px
>>7697735
Unless you have very rich parents or a full scholarship this seems like, ultimately, a very poor idea.
>>
>>7698044
Jesus christ. Pass on this OP. Find a cheaper way. Go to a state school or some shit.
>>
>>7698044
>$630 for the books

There we go OP, you just got the same education for a minor fraction of the cost.
>>
Just got accepted. I would have about 15-20k in debt due to the generous financial aid they gave me. Should I transfer there or to UT Austin or to University of Houston's honors college? I just finished two years at a shitty state school where no one really cares.
>>
>>7698070
>I would have about 15-20k in debt due to the generous financial aid they gave me

Do you have it in writing that it is contingent upon good standing and not some weird rubric tied to a curve?

>Should I transfer there or to UT Austin
Yes if you are in-state
>>
>>7698070
I'm also wanting to do doctoral studies. I hear St John's is in the top 2% of college turning out the highest number of PhD grads
>>
>>7698044
>$48,544 per year

Fucking Americans.
>>
>>7698078
Also is it federal loans or private loans? If federal 15-20k+interest on IBR is literally nothing, but if no IBR it still sucks. Also, if english major, do some more thinking.

>>7698083
That doesnt cost room and board, we are talking about a 550k+ education
>>
>>7698082
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obTNwPJvOI8

Wish I had used the 15k spent on my state school eduation to start and educate myself on digital marketing in 2005 desu
>>
>>7698078
I dont know. My FAFSA went through and they emailed me an estimate of merit aid since they said my essays were some of the best they'd ever had, so I'm getting a very very good merit aid award.

I'm just afraid at UT Austin I won't be able to have the close relationships with professors. And I havent applied there yet. I might get rejected, although I am in the honors college with a 3.7 GPA.
>>
>>7697860

lol we laugh at you behind your back.

- actual college aged student
>>
>>7698091
>I dont know.

Educate yourself on both what is required of you, and if the debt you take in excess of aid offered is federal. Law schools and Caribbean medical schools as well as for profit colleges are notorious for offering large merit based scholarships contingent on being in x% of the class, and then grading on a curve.
>>
>>7698044
i've already talked to my parents and they will pay for me to go
>>
>>7698090
I dont know. I really just want to pursue it because I love research. But there's a chance I won't get into a doctorate program that has a killer career center. I could just work and then raise the money to pay for the tuition if I'm not admitted to any programs with fellowships.
>>
>>7698117
bro if u parents have money like that why don't u just move to brooklyn and become a hipster? it'll be more fun and u'll have a better chance of being published, and people will just think you're an asshole instead of a moron
>>
>>7698100
which college do you go to?
>>
>>7698117
You should get that in writing too, and have them take out the loan themselves without your name on it.

I would be liable for my kids loans
>>
>>7698127
*wouldnt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>7698119
>>7698117
Why cost your parents that kind of money.

Tbh go instate, go ivy, or go home (or go start a business)
>>
>>7698100
same, kid, no one respects idiots who were teens a year ago and have no clue about the real world and still believe in marx
>>
>>7698133
>or go start a business

do it quick before hillary clinton and her zionist masters turn us back into serfs laboring for a jewish landlord
>>
>>7698123
not an option. dad makes tons of money but the only financial support they will give me is an education. doesn't want me to be a a lazy trust fund baby that doesn't make his own way i guess (not complaining, just describing my situation)
>>
>>7698145
if he pays 200k for u to major in english then he's doing exactly that
>>
>>7698133
they have no problem paying for it. i haven't had any idea what i want to do with my life for the past 4 years in terms of college/an actual career. this kind of education is the only thing that has seemed appealing to me so idk what else to do man.
>>
>>7697735
Do your CC credits transfer to UT? That seems like a lock.

I can't speak to academic side of things but socially being 23 really is a non-issue, unless you approach it like you are a normal freshman: live in dorms, go to house parties, make friends with teens. That be embarrassing. But bar scene is like 21-30s, and especially in Austin you'd be alright, the place is packed with aged hipsters.
>>
>>7698163
that's what i'm concerned about, st johns makes you live on campus the first year. my ideal plan would be to rent a room in the town, go to school just for class, and make friends with cool people my age and go to bars/do music stuff in my free time. idk man. what's ut like?
>>
>>7698117
if your parents are paying, why didn't you just go after HS? please tell me you didn't get memed by poors / autists into thinking college was worthless
>>
>>7698186
yeah don't do st johns then. Annapolis is very prim and proper white blue blood also. Austin is what you're looking for mate, trust me.
>>
>>7698199
this is 4chan so i'll be honest. was depressed/anxious/whatever when i was younger. got into drugs, switched high schools a bunch. ended up getting my ged. since then i've been working and taking a few classes here and there. idk where the time went, it's been 5 years. chalk this all up to me being a lazy piece of shit i guess. part of me thinks if i could have done better i would have. nothing i can do about it now though so i would like to do something good and productive with my life going forward. most importantly i'd like to become educated.
>>
>>7698207
this was vague - downtown Annapolis is not a laid back college type place. Tourists, naval academy, families, decent restaurants, etc. So for St Johns it sounds like your experience would be dependent upon classmates, freshman experience, the friends you make on campus, etc. This is exactly what you want to avoid.

The whole city of Austin is a fun laidback college and hipster combo bars music food trucks type vibe. it is way larger than naptown
>>
>>7698044
>tfw you go to university ranked in top 10 worldwide, above hundreds of american universities that charge literally 10x as much for tuition

what the FUCK
>>
>>7698221
shit thank you. i needed to hear that and i'll look into austin/ut. any other suggestions for cities/schools? or any advice in general for my situation?
>>
>>7697735
Hey, SJC alum here (did the undergrad program). I came at an older age, and my experience was that you'll get along more than you think you will, but that *you* have to be careful because your classmates will not be as experienced/mature as you may be. If you're not afraid to engage with upperclassmen, you might have an easier time of it.
>>
>>7698244
I go to a small liberal arts school and its really shitty. I think St. John's would be a little better but none of the Lit majors care about literature at all and are just doing it. UT-Austin would be cool. I got accepted to NYU, Berkeley and places like that but this liberal arts school gave me a full scholarship so I can't complain too much. I wish I went to Columbia or NYU or Berkeley (or Santa Cruz/Santa Barbara desu). What you're really paying for is access to talk to Professors outside of class, my classes haven't really given much for the way of my education because it's all class discussion based and shitty YA readers give their feminist reading on a Poe story or something every day, but helping to work out ideas with professors is the part of it that really helps, studying what you want at the mentorship and in conversation with professors is how you should go to school, things get much better that way, professors love to see people who are in it really for the sake of education so they're willing to devote plenty of time to guiding you to different sources or new ideas in what ever you're reading, researching or producing. If it's not free just go to a state school and make the most of it, if you have the money shoot for a humanities based Ivy, other than that just go somewhere beautiful/fun, but if you really want to dig into your studies just try to apply to Deep Springs.
>>
let me interrupt this faggotry with a special news bulletin: the new animal collective album has leaked
>>
>>7698388
The last album was garbage. Do you think it will be worth the time this round.
>>
>>7698388
your mom is currently leaking my jizz across your kitchen floor
>>
>>7698388
there's a new kanye album, there's no reason to listen to any other music for 3 months at least.
>>
>>7698407
Kanye is a fat middle-aged man now.
>>
>>7698400
doubt it, the single was fucking stupid, but they're the only band that can meme on kanyes level, so it's notable
>>
>>7698416
kanye gets better every time, meanwhile fags like nas and jay-z havent done anything good in a decade, he is the best of this generation
>>
>>7698421
thankfully someone said it before i had to
>>
>>7698366
thank you. how old were you when you went?
>>
>>7698457
23, so pretty close to your age. There will be other people who are about your age (or older) in your class--always happens. Get to know them, and don't be afraid of getting to know "quad johnnies" (smokers who are always on the quad, and who always tend to know the social situation; usually they're a little older).
>>
>>7698535
is there any way i can contact you? would really apreciate it
>>
>>7698857
fag
>>
>>7698862
thanks
>>
>>7698857
Sure, I just set up a throw away account:

[email protected]
>>
>>7698044
>(Per semester: $24,272)

here in australia that's around how much it costs for a whole degree if you're not doing honours
>>
>>7699070
I want to move to Australia
>>
>>7699326
also you can defer it all so the govt pays for it and only pay it back when you have stable employment earning over a certain threshold
>>
Yeah, it costs you about 30k for a 4 year degree. However unless you are an Australian citizen, you will end up paying over 100k because the government won't subsidise it
>>
>>7698145
>doesn't want me to be a a lazy trust fund baby that doesn't make his own way i guess
this is exactly what you are minus the money
well, except if you go to school on your dads expense. then you are exactly that. your and idiot
>>
>>7698218
Honestly, go to community college for a year or two, then transfer somewhere. If you want to study literature, try to get into a top multidisciplinary school or a good liberal arts college. Work hard in CC, you won't regret it. It'll also save you money and integrate you into the upper-level learning process more efficiently.
>>
>>7699362
this is exactly what i did, worked hard and made the most of my time at CC and saved a bunch of money, now i'm studying at one of the best state schools in the country
>>
>>7699942
which one? what are you majoring in?
>>
>>7697735

SJC alum here. SJC has a lot of older students; at 23 you're vanishingly unlikely to even be the oldest freshman on campus.
>>
>>7700723
that's really good to here. how was your experience there? what are you doing now?
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.