[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Readers with visual snow / hppd

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 6

File: visual-snow-vision.jpg (94KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
visual-snow-vision.jpg
94KB, 500x500px
Anyone here with visual snow? I have had it for about a year, and it negatively impacts my reading ability and level of comprehension.

I have learned a couple of tactics and strategies to deal with it so far:

a) reading with a pen to help guide the eye
b) using several light sources pointed at the text to dampen the static noise
c) never read outside, only use artificial light sources

The biggest downside is that I no longer can enter the reading "flow" where time and space becomes irrelevant. My ability to concentrate is not as good as it used to be due to this.

If you have any other tips to deal with this I would appreciate it greatly. I do not want to stop with this hobby, since I love reading.
>>
JESUS CHRIST THANK YOU BASED OP, I NEVER KNEW WHAT I HAD HAS A NAME. THANK YOU!
>>
>>7697667
I got few little "floaters" in one eye, its not really noticeable unless I put effort to notice them, optician said something like minor op could be done to correct it but I am scared of any kind of op that involves my eyes so yeah
>>
>>7697667
As somebody with 20/13 vision, your pic is my fucking nightmare

How is one afflicted with "visual snow?"
>>
>>7697696
Its like everything is superimposed with tiny moving dots like tv static. I have 20/20 vision, but when I look at stuff (especially paper of walls) I can't help but notice these fucking dots.
>>
File: vs-animated.gif (107KB, 360x239px) Image search: [Google]
vs-animated.gif
107KB, 360x239px
>>7697696
>>
>>7697679
>7697679

I know the feeling. I thought it was optical at first, but after being thoroughly examined by an optician / several eye doctors they concluded that my vision is optically 20/20. I have since been examined by a neurologist and he agrees that I have visual snow. I did a spinal tap and a CT scan, showing no problems.

It is both a relief (it is not deadly) and a letdown since there is almost no research regarding this condition. Hopefully it will not get worse.
>>
>>7697708
>>7697718
Oh that shit? I thought everybody had that. Like that little static sort of noise you hear when there's absolute silence, except for your eyes
>>
File: 1051-9yjwdex.png (30KB, 786x590px) Image search: [Google]
1051-9yjwdex.png
30KB, 786x590px
>>7697763
>that little static sort of noise you hear when there's absolute silence
>>
>>7697763
Hey, that's a pretty good simile. Hadn't thought about it like that.
>>
>>7697775
You don't have that? My high school chem teacher said it was the sound of atoms or electrons or some shit blasting past your ears at incredible velocity. Was he dad-trolling me?

Also I am not a chemist, as should be obvious
>>
>>7697806
thats tinnitus, i have it.
>>
Jesus Christ, OP. I totally did not need to realise that I had an eyesight condition which I suddenly have become super aware of.
>>
This gif might also blow someones mind on here. I see this all the time when looking at bright stuff and was worried for years until I saw this gif on 4chan. It's called Blue Field Entoptic Phenomenon for any fellow hypocondriacs and it's normal and harmless
>>
i have visual snow via hppd but i don't find it fucks with my reading too much. sometimes i find putting my index finger on my forehead like img makes it easier for my eyes to focus on text, probably just placebo though
>>
I got visual snow. Usually see it when focusing on something for quite a while in dim lighting. I thought I had the ability to see things regular people couldn't see. :^)
>>
>>7697806
>Was he dad-trolling me?
Yes. You can't hear that. It's just constant noise you usually filter out
>>
thx for this thread op, I was aware of floaters and BFEP but i didn't know this was a named phenomenon. I have it but very mildly, I like it though. I can imagine it would be shitty if it was more prominent.
>>
>>7697823
But, is it like, a *really* high-pitched noise that doesn't hurt or bother you? Like, a lot of loud high-pitched noises will hurt one's ears (especially the ears of autists), but this ringing is so soft that it's no hindrance whatever. I can sleep fine, listen fine, etc. And when there's any sort of noise, the ringing more or less disappears.
>>
Like others, wow, I didn't know this had a name. It sounded so dumb to tell people seeing a "light animated photoshop noise overlay" is my normal.

That being said, it's never bothered me with reading, unless I'm already struggling to focus in the first place, then I notice it on the page. I wear glasses for enlargement, but it doesn't remove the noise.
>>
>>7697886
I thought the same thing about mine, Anon. Used to think I could see atoms.
>>
>>7697667
too much benzydamine kek
>>
Op here. I have not done any drugs, but those who have HPPD has it due to drugs, while visual snow is a separate syndrome. They seem to share the same place in the brain though, but have different triggers.
>>
>>7698060
yes it is, is tinnitus. Probably a light case of tinnitus but not all people have it.
>>
fuck man, mine used to be not so bad now when i stare at a wall it gets all colored and carpets tend to swim if i stare too long
i dont think its hppd related though. it's been a gradual change over years
>>
Jesus, how horrifying. I feel for you guys.
>>
i see those black floater things once in a while. doc said it happens just rest. the same happened with my ears, i was hearing a hissing sound and doc said it happens, just rest, after checking the audio results.
resting helped both though.
>>
>>7698173
Wait, not everyone has tinnitus?
I do have light tinnitus but never actively thought much of it. I hear it most when I'm alone but easily can tune it out.
>>
everyone has some visual snow. the normal image is stupid. if you have floaters go to a doctor.
>>
>>7697667
I have this and tinnitus
>>
>>7698372
>if you have floaters go to a doctor.

I had floaters for my entire life, why should i go to a doctor?
>>
>>7698372
I think you can get rid of floaters by just rubbing your eye desu.
>>
>>7698393
>>7698427
Occasional floaters are normal. If you have many floaters (multiple per day), it could be signs of retinal damage/tearing.
>>
Does anyone not have this? I figured it was something everyone has. I notice it from time to time but the most blatantly obvious it's ever been was when I was on a plane and staring out into the bright blue sky
>>
>>7698440
>floaters = retinal damage

You know that floaters are mostly due to small residues in the lens of the eye right?
>>
>>7698450
You realize you're wrong, right? Floaters are pieces of cellular debris suspended in vitreous. This debris can be the result of a retinal tear.
>>
>>7698356
Whenever I am reminded of my tinnitus it haunts me for the next few hours
>>
>>7697806
yes, in an anechoic camber you can hear the whine of your nervous system though, whiney cunt.
>>
>>7697842
>gif
K m8
>>
I get the visual snow when I haven't eaten anything in a long time, or I haven't eaten anything 'good for me'
>>
>>7698372
OP here.

Actually the normal image was pretty much how it looked for me a year ago. Everyone has some visual snow in the dark, what separates the two groups are that vs sufferers have it at day time too. (And usually very severe symtoms with other things such as halos, light sensitivity, after-images etc.)

I also have tinnitus, and researchers believe that the two are coupled in some way.
>>
I have a few floaters from time to time. I have -3.75 vision in both eyes so I figure it's pretty par with the course. My brain seems to adjust to it after a while; it's merely a nuisance.
>>
>>7697667

I've had it since I was a kid, but I didn't know what it actually was until a few months ago. I figured everyone could see it because my step-father told me once that it was normal when I was about ten or so, and I never brought it up again.

When I'm in the dark and stuff it makes waves, and I see it when I have my eyes closed.
>>
everybody has this, you're not special
>>
>>7697842

i remember freaking out one night has a kid because that happened in bed and i thought i was covered in bugs

lmao when it happens now i find it pleasant and relaxing actually
>>
>>7697718
I have it, but it is very unnoticeable unless in darkness or not focusing your view.
>>
>>7698475
And that means I'll go blind eventually?
>>
File: 1434292544621.jpg (6KB, 250x200px) Image search: [Google]
1434292544621.jpg
6KB, 250x200px
>>7697667
This is a thing? I thought everyone had this stuff. Looking at my screen right now I see black squiggles dancing all over it.

Should I talk to a doctor about it? It is kind of annoying but I have never been super bothered by it.
>>
>>7699146
Yes, it is possible you will go blind in that eye because of the retinal tear. Tears progress at different rates due to a variety of factors, the most influential being nearsightedness. If your eyes are highly myopic, your tear will progress faster and you will need surgery to prevent blindness.
>>
>>7697842
Nah, they are faster than that.
>>
>tfw hppd
>driving to work
>1 hour acid flashback
>haven't dropped in 8 years
>>
>>7699180
Only if the amount of them increases significantly in a short time and if you have lights flashing in your peripheral vision. Even then it's probably just temporary and not a problem, but it could be you going blind.
>>
I have this REALLY bad in one eye, which is also a lazy eye.

My other eye has perfect vision.
>>
>>7699340
>1 hour acid flashback
holy shit
i've done mushrooms like twenty times and no flashbacks for me
>>
>>7699340
/things textbooks warn us about that literally never happen/ general
>>
I have both visual snow and HPPD

The visual snow i've had my entire life, so i'm used to it now.

HPPD i've had for 2 years. Some days its worse than others, and when its bad letters will start vibrating and morphing which makes it near impossible to read.

Has anyone successfully cured their HPPD?
>>
>>7699340
have I ever told anyone on this board about the friend of mine who went psychotic from taking acid
>>
>>7697667
I suppose I have had them since I was a kid, though maybe that's just my low blood pressure
>>
I'm talking out of my ass, but are you sure you just don't have a mineral/vitamin deficiency?
>>
>>7699555
I think you meant a friend of a friend, triple-five.
>>
>>7697667

I get all three. Have done since I was 6. Other than these minor issues I have excellent vision to the point my optician told me "don't come back til you're 45"
>>
>>7697763
This. Doesn't everybody have this?
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.