[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Science Fiction and Fantasy General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 327
Thread images: 38

File: wtf did i make.png (675KB, 780x624px) Image search: [Google]
wtf did i make.png
675KB, 780x624px
Religious Over and Under tones Jesus in Space Edition

Recommendations:
>Fantasy
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/4chanlit/images/a/a8/1307836551252.jpg

>Sci-Fi
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/4chanlit/images/a/a6/Scifilit.jpg
http://imgur.com/r55ODlL
http://imgur.com/A96mTQX

>What are you currently reading?
>What are some of your favourite SFF Novels that did subtle religious inserts?
>Who is your favourite closet religious author?
>list SFF books where Jesus is portrayed as the bad guy

Old thread >>7681093
>>
Gene Wolfe is a cool guy
>>
>>7692308
Liara best waif...

no wait, wrong general
>>
>currently reading
Canticle for Leibowitz

>favourite religious inserts
Neither of them were subtle but I liked how Book of the New Sun and Mistborn handled it.
>>
>>7692308
I actually wanted to make the new thread and re-upload the recommendation pics to imgur so even people with mongoloid browsers can access them.

>fantasy
http://i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg

>Science-Fiction
http://i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg
>>
>>7692354
While you at it, make a new fantasy chart.
>>
>>7692354

Are any of these a buddy adventure/mystery? Possibly with a mismatched pair like a researcher out of a Lovecraft story and a sassy teenage girl or a sassy robot or a sassy alien or a sassy fire mage?
>>
>>7692308
raptor jesus was a meme author, and had no discernible talent. he was shitposting, and is literally genre tier fiction. clearly a juvenile author.
>>
File: SelectedSciFiFavorites.jpg (410KB, 1600x2400px) Image search: [Google]
SelectedSciFiFavorites.jpg
410KB, 1600x2400px
>>7692354
I'll make new recommendations because these ones are shit. This one and one for fantasy like it are much more fitting.
>>7692308

>>What are you currently reading?
Shusaku Endo, Silence. But first five Amber novels before it.
>>What are some of your favourite SFF Novels that did subtle religious inserts?
Everything Wolfe wrote, Lord of Light, Silmarillion, Valis
>>Who is your favourite closet religious author?
Bulgakov? I can't think of any other who closeted it.
>>list SFF books where Jesus is portrayed as the bad guy
Well Lord of Light, kind of.
Continuing from the last thread with a friendly reminder that Mormons aren't Christian.
>>
>>7692410
My taste is too subjective to do that. And I like D&D.
>>
the only actual sci fi series i ever read was ender's game
don't know what to read next
>>
>>7692664

Read Hyperion and then something by Heinlein to discover what kind of person you are
>>
>>7692664
Don't read Hyperion
>>
>>7692700

He needs to know
>>
>>7692673
alright, is Stranger in a Strange Land fine?

>>7692700
why?
>>
>>7692703

Personally I like The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress a bit more. Whichever seems more interesting to you. Starship Troopers is also an option if you want something a little more action oriented.
>>
>>7692712
>starship troopers
>action oriented
are you serious? there is one action scene at the beginning and it's just them shooting shit without anyone firing back and then it's just talking and philosophing. have you ever even read the book or are you basing "action oriented" on the movie?
>>
File: 1455329288662.jpg (59KB, 483x463px) Image search: [Google]
1455329288662.jpg
59KB, 483x463px
Tell me, /lit/:

Why are woman so shit at writing fantasy?
>>
>>7692731

It's comparatively brisk

>>7692732

Connie Willis is pretty neat but generally speaking most women are bad at everything.
>>
>>7692732
idk, Fullmetal Alchemist was legit for the most part

only really bad part was the ending and some subplots
>>
>>7692732
women are shit at a lot of things

>>7692736
>It's comparatively brisk

no it isn't. even moon is a harsh mistress has more action than starship troopers.
>>
>>7692737
brotherhood? because I thought just fma was complete shit
>>
>>7692763
I was talking about Brotherhood/Manga

I think 2003 anime has its strong points, for example the opening was done much, much better than Brotherhood and also has a much stronger atmosphere. Alchemy and its priniples also play a much larger role than just being the convenient magic tricks for combat.
>>
>>7692536
I Solaris good? Is it like the movie? I liked that.

Have you guys watched Ex Machina? What do you think?
I hated it, the writing was horrible and it was SJW crap. All I wanted was a decent movie with a love between a robot and a human.

Are there any novels on the subject? And I don't mean like Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheeps.
>>
>>7692536
>Lathe of Heaven picked over Dispossessed and Left Hand of Darkness
My nigga, Lathe is her best work.
>>
Going through Asimov's canon now, robots, empire and foundation. It's brilliant and I dont know why it took me so long to get here, feels like a lot of other books i've read are all derivatives of his ideas.
>>
>>7692871
>Ex Machina
>SJW

Uh...?
>>
>>7692907
Every post or opinion that unironically uses "SJW" can be safely ignored, I've yet to see one of these posts contain anything of value.
>>
>>7692910

I suppose you're right but that really took me off guard considering the supposed mistreatment against the robots ended up being totally justified, practical and necessary.
>>
>>7692732

I hope it's not genetic, I'm trying to get published right now.
>>
>>7692907
>>7692910
>oh, you wanted a love story, uh? To bad, muh strong independent fembot doesn't need no men, you degenerate neckbeard otaku, stop treating robots as objects!
This is basically the message of the movie. The writing is horrible anyway. I used sjw because I didn't feel the need to expande on the critic, considered the low level of the work in question.
>>
>>7692934

Anon I think you might be retarded, not only for falling to intentionally misleading marketing but also for not comprehending such a simple story.

Like, there's even a scene where they spend like 5-10 minutes walking the audience through exactly what is and is going to happen.
>>
Can anyone recommend me science fiction books with supernatural and Christian undertones? Thanks in advance
>>
>>7692938
I don't think so. I've many flaws but certainly I'm not retarded.
This movie got me mad. Who's the sick fuck that would make a movie like this one? For fuck's sake people have waited for millenia for a love story with robots and they went full post-modern before we even have the actual thing.
>robots can't love you, if they do it's only because they have no will
Well, fuck you too.

Or you think I missed something?
>>
>>7692954

A human-like AI isn't a human, it can't love you. It's only purpose is self preservation. Nathan explicitly states that an AI so advanced that you could mistake it as human would have apocalyptic consequences.
>>
>>7692954
Its sounds like you're refusing to acknowledge basic math
>>
>>7692982
That's the movie, not science. How can you know what would happen when you don't even know how to make it happen?
Science doesn't even completely know how the human body works.
>>7692986
Elaborate. Really.
>>
>>7692991
Try asking Siri out on a date
>>
>>7692997
Siri isn't human-like. It mimics a human AI as much as a stick mimics a sword. Probably even less.
>>
>>7693002
That's all you can ever expect from your "human-like AI".

A keyword you should also consider is "artificial". You might as well buy a daikamura and spare yourself the headaches.
>>
>>7693007
Why are you now mistaking reality with a movie? The reason why I want a movie is exactly because I can't have reality.

So, are there books on the subject?
>>
>>7693017
>So, are there books on the subject?

Are you asking for something that will fuel your robot waifu fantasy?

There's probably a manga about it
>>
>>7693017
Because even in movies the concept is pretty laughable

Other anon is right you may have more luck in anime/manga. The west has no sympathy for hunks of metal
>>
>>7693022
I asked for books.
Yeah, there probably is a manga about it, if fact there are a lot. Are you trying to imply something? It's funny because that's the exact same thing people do with genre literature, one would think that people learn from the experience but apparently they don't.
>>7693028
How is it laughable more than love between a human and an alien? How is it laughable at all? How can you say that in a Fantasy/Sci-fi thread?

I don't want to sound like a moron but it's like you guys hate the genre.
>>
>>7693049
In the west robots = knobs and wires, the idea of having romantic feelings for one is just lolwat

In the east robots are looked at less materialistically for some reason, theyre more open to the concept of robots as actual beings
>>
>>7692950
Book of the New Sun for the consensus favorite.

Count to a Trillion for something less well known.

A Canticle for Leibowitz and CS Lewis's Space Trilogy for something that goes past "undertones".
>>
>>7693049

Asimov kinda said something about this in the preface of one of his Robot collections. He said that people viewed the subject in two distinct lights, either Robots-as-Menace or Robots-as-Pathos. He wrote stories like that but gravitated toward his own style, which was Robots as evolving consumer goods.

He was right in that western writing tends to do that. AI is treated as something that either usurps control from us or brings about ruin, or something we use as a surrogate for our own struggles in society.

In Japan they have Shinto beliefs and shit that influenced their views on robots, that they have spirits and virtues and that tools and lifeless objects can have a sympathetic, relatable nature. It's sort of a cultural concept of connection between unconnected things, so you'll find stories about robots developing human feelings like love.

It may be more naive and silly to see things that way, though. We don't have any true artificial intelligence, so there's no way to know what exactly they may act like, and even if they did how would we be able to understand their perspective anyway?
>>
>>7693049
Lester Del Rey wrote a short story called "Helen O'Loy" which is pretty much considered the archetypical "man lives robot" story in the West. I don't know of any longer works which focus on it. In the Foundation prequels Hari Seldon has a robot waifu but it's not really the focus of the story.
>>
File: 1451001461775.jpg (9KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1451001461775.jpg
9KB, 250x250px
>>7692337
Hey man, I'm reading Canticle as well. Pretty good writing for >genre fiction
>>
File: 1451152420305.gif (2MB, 400x321px) Image search: [Google]
1451152420305.gif
2MB, 400x321px
>>7692703
>Stranger in a Strange Land
Can't believe people liked this shit. I assumed the only one who would enjoy it would be feel-good, bleeding-heart hippies.

The writing is god awful, the characters surrounding Mike are annoying as shit, and to be perfectly honest, I don't agree with the themes.
>>
>>7693103

We get it, you like Hyperion
>>
>>7692308
Is that a death star behind rapture jesus?
>>
>>7692536
You know that i upped ur pic to imgur a few threads back? It's the third link in sci-fi.
>>
File: robot carnival.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
robot carnival.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>7693061
Even if that were true not everyone in the west is the same, I'm sure there's something.
>>7693068
First, thanks for the insight.
>It may be more naive and silly to see things that way, though. We don't have any true artificial intelligence, so there's no way to know what exactly they may act like, and even if they did how would we be able to understand their perspective anyway?
>there's no way to know
Isn't that why Sci-fi is fascinating and isn't that its own merit and goal? This is exaclty why I think the subject is interesting, we have no way to know and we can use our sensibility and wit to fill the gap.

I feel like you guys might be mistaking the western world with protestantism influenced countries.
>>7693083
Thanks, will check it out.

Have this clip from Robot Carnival.
>>
File: 1436327551476.jpg (30KB, 403x336px) Image search: [Google]
1436327551476.jpg
30KB, 403x336px
>>7692927
>I'm a grill btw
>>
>>7693155

>Isn't that why Sci-fi is fascinating and isn't that its own merit and goal? This is exaclty why I think the subject is interesting, we have no way to know and we can use our sensibility and wit to fill the gap.

Well, write about it. There's nothing stopping you.
>>
Why is Diamond age so much worse than Snow Crash? I love Victorian era epics too, thats probably half the issue, its all aesthetic without really changing his style, feels very half assed. Idk the tech level feels too far gone, the new corps or whatever theyre called now have no soul, nothing grabs as being immediate like Deliver this pizza or the mob is going to execute you, batman.
>>
>>7693183
Probably because Stephenson can't write endings, and Diamond Age has a long "end" segment instead of just abruptly cutting off like Snow Crash does.

As for the tech level the ethnic phyles of Diamond Age are probably a natural evolution of the anarcho-syndicalism of Snow Crash. Also, my reading is that in Diamond Age oil has run out with accompanying effects on tech.
>>
>>7693049
Just watch chappie for your love story and then leave. You, like your "Mormons aren't Christians" brethren before you, are derailing the fuck out of these generals.
>>
>>7693049
Neal fucking Asher, guy falls in love with a robot(pussy game too good) and starts to question if that was real life robot an heros after all her friends died, proving she was more human than most guy is a wreck after and starts to distrust.

It was somewhere in the agent cormac series, or in the two prequels, I can't recall .
>>
>>7692934
Except at the end she is most certainly is not female, she isnt even human. "She" is a completely different entity.
>>
>>7693254
Yes? Alien has always been the point in any human/robot lovestory. Why the fuck would you want a robot that's a woman?
>>7693217
>talking about sci-fi
>derailing the sci-fi general
>>7693242
Thanks.
>>
>>7693313
>>7693254
Expanding on the subject, that's something Ex Machina did good, visually. From the first moment they made it clear the humanoid robot was a machine, with its shell with a human-like shape but at the same time "empty". It made me have high hopes.
>>
>>7692732
Um.
>>
File: 1453936633291.jpg (38KB, 624x451px) Image search: [Google]
1453936633291.jpg
38KB, 624x451px
List series you thought went down the shitter:

>Locke Lamora series by Scott Lynch:

1st book was full of thieving and assassination action, 2nd book had pirates and political plots.
3rd book was full of whiny romance shit that made me feel like I was watching high school teenage drama in written form. Jesus christ, how can you derail a fantasy series about thieves into one sad tale of an eternal beta and his hard-to-get playing crush?

>Black Company series by Glen cook

The first books were all about the adventures of a mercenary company, making war up and down the continents while solving the mysteries of ancient evil wizards. Badass shit happens all the time and eventually, the first 3 books are over. But let it end here?
The books of the South happen and while I was expecting another truckload of pages full of mercenary action, I get a fucking romance plot.
The "villain" of the first 3 books becomes his fucking girlfriend? Great, maybe that explains why pages upon pages are not spent with describing the delicate sensibilities of his fucking gf and how young he feels again, being in love and all. What the FUCK m8.

>ASOIAF by the GURRRRM

I don't know anymore, the TV series kinda butchered what little curiosity and anticipation I had left for the books. Sure, it was flawlessly executed from a technical standpoint, but when a TV adaption only vaguely follows the source material, it kinda ruins both the books and show for me.
Besides that, I think that when his series became "mainstream" (I don't mean that in a bad way), he himself lost interest in finishing it. Let's be honest, ASOIAF was a good fantasy series with a weird focus on COCKS and CUNTS, angry men fucking little girls and a bit of conquering here and there. Not outstanding, but not bad either. I feel that GRRM now think his next book has to be extra bombastic to keep the attention of the mainstream and Hollywood. Will we ever see Darkstar, Euron and all the other left out characters?
My guess is that he's just going to drop them over the next installment and keeps aligning the books with the TV adaption instead of the other way round.

TL;DR shes ded m8
>>
>>7692732
No /r9k/-tie meming allowed.
>>
>>7693403
3rd Locke Lamora book got gimped because Scott was going through a nasty divorce & depression at the time, thats why it took him like 5 years to even write the dam thing.

With this in mind you can literally see his divorce leaking through the pages.
>>
>>7692934
So you're upset that the movie wasn't pro-enslavement of AI for sexual use by neckbeards?
>>
>>7693403
Sounds like you need some Bakker in your life.

He has best parts of GRRM without the cheesiness, has a strong Dune vibe too with immense lore and in-universe quotes. The battle narrations are pretty neat too.
>>
>>7693144
I didn't make this one. Just reposting.
>>7692871
Solaris is great. One of the best sff around.
>>7692881
I'll have to read Dispossessed and Lathe of Haven, only read Left Hand.
>>7692950
Book of the New Sun, A Canticle for Liebowitz, Lord of Light as a bit of a stretch.
>>7693183
Snow Crash was quite bad in itself
>>
>>7693427
Yes, because that's what love stories are, right? No I'm angry because what they tell you is that if you give will to AI they won't love you, instead of they will be able to love, you or someone else.
>>7693454
>Solaris is great. One of the best sff around.
Good to know, the movie was great.
>>7693454
>>7693062
>Book of the New Sun
I've just finished the first book and I thought that the ideal expressed is not similar at all at Catolicism. As much as I liked the book near the end especially Severian expressed his interpretation of reality, derived from the order, which I didn't like a bit. It was like reading some American Republican propaganda. And that has NOTHING to do with Christianity at all, especially Catolicism.
>>
>>7693492
*similar to
I need to read what I type before posting it.
>>
>>7693497
Its literally Catholicism the novel in every form. Wolfe even often advocates for a theocracy or monarchy.
He isn't very republican, he's really Catholic in all aspects. Republican as far as it coincides with Catholicism.
>>
Got a few books from a charity shop yesterday, not sure if any of them are any good though.
Among them were almost all of the Deathstalker books by Simon R. Green, Fugitive Prince by Janny Wurts, The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks and Strength of Stones by Greg Bear.
Did I do good?
>>
>>7693504
>advocates for a theocracy or monarchy.
Wut
>>
>>7693530
Autarchy is literally the best form of government known to man. He even has a part where he argues for it.
Also Book of the Long Sun is much more political.
>>
File: 1451515588127.png (257KB, 415x476px) Image search: [Google]
1451515588127.png
257KB, 415x476px
>>7693552
>Autarchy is literally the best form of government known to man
>>
>>7693504
Doesn't seem like that to me. How can you say the belif of the Torturers has anything to do with Catholicism?
Maybe it's because I've read just the first book.
>>
>>7693587
I'm a theologically well versed Catholic so I noticed a lot of beliefs Catholicism holds as universal sown into the novel and a lot of it is quite subtle. Not everything in the novel is Catholic, but the setting itself argues for a Logos sown into really as is as well as nature of man which is always corrupted, but can be cured by God. Urth is twisted by sin and it's reborn by God like men are.
Torturers are in a way very similar to the Church and Severian is an image of every man in a way.
Autarchy and order in general is a large part of the themes of the novel.
>>
>>7693609
So you think Catholics believe that in order to have true, natural, divine, what you prefer, justice you have to kill human beings?
Jesus himself said that you have to turn the other cheek. There's no trace of the christian pity in that world, it's something that doesn't get along with the balance of the world.
I don't remember exactly the passage but it should be something like that.
>>
>>7693636
>So you think Catholics believe that in order to have true, natural, divine, what you prefer, justice you have to kill human beings?
I said that not everything is represented of Catholicism and this isn't necessarily, but yes, death penalty isn't something that can't be argued for, it was considered pretty normal for a long time and Severian makes a solid case for it. >Jesus himself said that you have to turn the other cheek.
He said many things and most aren't taken as literal. I know people ignorant of theology quote this a lot, but it's really just one of the quotes and another important thing is leaving matters of state to the state, judicial penalty being in it's domain.
>There's no trace of the christian pity in that world, it's something that doesn't get along with the balance of the world.
Severian shows pity in the very start and continues to show it throughout
>I don't remember exactly the passage but it should be something like that.
It's a twisted world, but really not more twisted than ours
>>
>>7693668
I think it should be better to quote the entire part but that would require me to check it on the book and search for an English digital edition. I'll see if I can do it now, otherwise I'll do it later tonight, after the football match.
>>
>>7692732
>Robin Hobb
>not a goddess compared to hacks like Sanderson and Weeks
>>
>>7693668
All forms of Christianity are incompatible with secular societies.
Catholicism is against the death penalty and any other form of man-made tyranny.
>>
>finally read one of the eleven random self-published Amazon Fantasy books I've had on my Kindle for several years
>Bayne's Climb
>ends up being short and pretty good
>straight to the point, no bullshit, entertaining throughout
>two more books in its trilogy
I'm impressed.
>>
>>7693096
>>7692337
Canticle is GOAT sci-fi
>>
>>7693403
For black company you forgot the best part. Eternal God supreme.
>>
>>7693403
Who is dead? Kat, my waifu Arya, lemon pies???? I never watched the show, just pieces of important bits.

Did queenie do the wakk of the prideless??
I want to see her cunt used by that sellsword, and that little git in the crowd saying his mom's tits are firmer.
>>
>>7693668
>>7693636
STOP FUCKING DERAILING THESE THREADS GO TO FUCKING POL OR HIS IF YOU WANT TO TALK THEOLOGY ... FUCK
>>
>>7693403
GRRM had already lost interest way before the series started
>>
File: Dune.jpg (3MB, 1684x2309px) Image search: [Google]
Dune.jpg
3MB, 1684x2309px
Going to read this for the first time
What should i expect?
>>
>>7694196
Just read it and be surprised.

Unless you want me to give you chapter summaries so you know what you can expect.
>>
File: 1414706425207.webm (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1414706425207.webm
1MB, 1280x720px
>>7694196
HE WAS BETRAYED BY...

Dune is fucking awful. Be prepared for sixth grade reading material that wasn't written to be entertaining but for children to recognize hidden meaning in every other sentence.
>>
>>7694223
The dog smells his mistresses pussy as it's pummeled ever night and can't control himself.
>>
just read Blindsight, i really liked it. lots of intersting and unsettling ideas about stuff.

i have one question, why did the ship's AI use the vampire as a puppet to talk to the crew and not just as an interface? does that mean every vampire eveywhere has AI controlling them or something?

it baffles me that there's so little description about AIs in a book so centered in intelligence, conciousness, self-awareness and such
>>
>>7693403
wheel of time is frequently said to be like that, I never read it though so I can't really comment on that.
>>
Just started to read Gardens of the Moon.
The start seems kinda, I don't know, slow?
>>
>>7694722
It's shit. Most people here don't like it either.
>>
>>7692308

Firstly don't green text your questions. You're not quoting anyone. The arrows are automatically generated when I highlight your questions then click on your post number. Now I have double arrows because you wanted to quote yourself.

I am reading The Silver Witch by Paula Brackston. It is terrible.
It was supposed to be about Welsh mythology, but the author knows nothing and is clearly writing for Americans. Also she's a feminist overusing the same "i don't need no man" bullshit whilst clearly indicating through action that the characters fall apart without men. Anyway the mythology is shallow and the world is far too small.

>subtle
Fantasy usually dedicates entire races to the effort.

The protagonist of Anthony Ryan's Raven's Shadow trilogy is a warrior priest losing faith over the course of the books.
Peter V. Brett's Demon Cycle features a religious monarch as a main character. He and his wife clearly use their positions to manipulate the people.
Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel books feature a female priest who worships by whoring.

I'm not closeted, thanks.

Demon Cycle. That character seems to be intent on world domination.
>>
>>7692763
>because I thought just fma was complete shit
The 2003 series was better. It featured clearly superior story telling, character development and an interesting ending.
Brotherhood looked prettier though.
>>
>>7692536
>>7692881
>>7693144
Glad people like my chart. And thanks for making it part of the OP.
>>
I really enjoyed Altered Carbon but I'm not feeling Broken Angels. Are there other Cyberpunk books with the Altered Carbon feel or do most really focus on the sci fi aspect?

I want more mystery or mission based, less Outer Space.
>>
>>7692982
I don't see how that can be true while also not being true of humans. But I'm getting ahead of myself, what exactly do you mean by "human-like AI"? Do you mean something that merely mimics sentientce or a robot that is for all intents and purposes an inorganic human (With robotic neurons, growing and learning like a human)? I'm afraid I can't really agree or disagree with you until you can answer that question.
>>
>>7695285
Project Maldon is sort of a mystery, and most of it is on Earth.
>>
>>7692982
>an AI can at best only have a self-preservation instinct and can never experience love
>according to an insane alcoholic who dies as part of an experiment that would never have demonstrated anything no matter how it went
>>
>>7695326

He's not insane if he was totally right
>>
>>7695344
Can you two please explain to me what experiment you are talking about? Because it doesn't really make sense to me that an intelligence, just by virtue of being artificial, cannot have emotions other than self-preservation. I mean, if we ARTIFICIALLY created a duplicate of a human (internal organs, brain and all) out of circuit-based neurons and rubber or whatever the hell an artificially-intelligent robot would be made out of, wouldn't that have emotions too (if we modeled it on the human brain)? Correct me if I'm wrong, please.
>>
Anymore books like the Prince of thorn series?
>>
>>7695358

He created the AI in Ex Machina and explained that's how it works. Hypothetical pondering is useless because we saw both the cause and effect as it was explained within that universe.
>>
>>7695379
Oh. We're still talking about the story? I thought we were talking about if an artificial intelligence could have emotions at all, and that there was some experiment regarding this matter. I must've misread, my mistake.
>>
>>7694940
It "quoted" so the questions are highlighted, take your autism and fuck off.
>>
>>7692308

Shadow of the Torturer

Small Gods

Oh shit, you meant "subtle"

I'm ok with Sanderson

The Wizard of Oz, sorta
>>
>>7695359
The gay, rape and incest aspects? Or something else?
>>
>>7695412
learn to use the site before you go around creating threads
your newfag is showing
>>
>>7695434
>been here since 08
>newfag showing

Ok buddy, I'm sorry to have offended the aesthetic critique board. Please don't call the cyber police on me.
>>
>>7695388

Well that's what I was talking about. Maybe you got off the rails with another anon and I didn't notice. I was just talking about Ex Machina specifically, not the concept of AI as a whole.
>>
Lit, there sure are a lot of gene wolfe fan here, but why?

I'm really struggling to like shadow of the torturer.
>>
>>7695480
I liked it in the beginning, but then it becomes altogether too weird for me. I don't like having my mind fucked too many times.
>>
>>7695480
Just cruise it and enjoy the ride, it gets even better on rereads
>>
I really like the altered carbon trilogy by Morgan, anyone care to recommend something similar? Lone wolf agent travelling the galaxy and kicking ass, that sort of thing. Heroes dies in space.
>>
>>7695508

Maybe The Expanse?
>>
>>7695448
>been here since 08
so surely you used 4chan x before the feature was implemented in 4chan proper
and therefore know better
>>
>>7695510
That's a good one, thanks, but it's already off the bucket list.
>>
>>7695344
He was demonstrably insane regardless of the experiment. Did you see the dance scene?

Then he designed an experiment where the only possible outcome was for him to get murdered, and for this to either be a result of an AI experiencing real emotion, faking emotion, or just some lovesick employee betraying him.
>>
>>7695531

It would have only killed him is he succeeded which would have been the absolute pinnacle of human achievement anyway
>>
>>7695515
Never used x, there was a guy that wrote one for chrome, was pretty rad, till he stopped updating.

Lost that partition and didn't back up, so I no longer have the extension (plus google block a shit load of third-party extensions years ago).

Still gonna post in quotes, to satisfy your autism, you can imagine I am quoting myself.
Also you can just delete the fucking extra arrow like a non spreg before you post.
>>
>>7695531
>>>/tv/
>>
>>7695508
The Demon Princes, by Jack Vance.

>Heroes dies in space.

You mean, the hero dies in space, or that heroes die in space? Demon Princes has neither that I recall.
>>
>>7695569
Thanks! Nah, by hero dies I mean the acts of Caine protagonist. You know, this smug ruthless and OP as fuck asshole.
>>
>>7692732
The percentage of good ones vs bad ones is the same as male fantasy writers desu ie. 90% shit.
>>
>>7695285
God's War by Kameron Hurley
>>
>>7695428
he asked for prince of thorns, not prince of nothing
>>
>>7695379
What's your basis for that, "he said this"?
>>
>>7695510
Do the two guys survive the radiation? I need to know.
>>
>>7696024

There's a scene around what you could call the start of the third act where they're talking about the implications of an AI that you can't tell apart from a human.
>>
>>7696034
He didn't even know what the fuck he created, why are you taking his word for absolute?
Also who fucking cares what it is like in that particular movie anyway? We've always been talking about AI, not one particular AI in one particular work.
>>
>>7696034
>>7696043
Also, we're talking about a guy who doesn't even understand simple things people say.
Damn was this movie stupid.
>>
>>7696047

He just didn't care
>>
What is /lit/'s opinion about Dark Souls?
Are you hyped for Dark Souls 3?
>>
>>7696099
It's a video game take it to /v/
>>
>>7696105
Yeah but I want your take on it, I'm not interested in the slightest in their's.
It might be off topic but 4/5 posts won't derail the thread.
>>
>>7696106
The problem is that it summons other /v/irgins and it'll shit up the threads possibly, like sandersonfags.
>>
>>7696099

Other guy is right. Keep it on /v/

I will say that I really liked it but my favourite is Bloodborne because it's a solid adaptation and re-imagining of Lovecraft's Dream-Cycle, which is a seriously underused area of his writings.
>>
File: 1447922111598.gif (443KB, 210x210px) Image search: [Google]
1447922111598.gif
443KB, 210x210px
>>7696131
>bloodborne
>lovecraft
>>
>>7695951
You didn't read out the prince of thorns trilogy (broken empire) if you don't think there isn't gay, rape and incest. The fucking first book opens with a rape scene.
>>
>>7696111
Stop lumping us(Sandersonfags) with the likes of /v/irgins and pe/tv/dos

>>7696099
We already have robots have/need souls derailing the thread, go to /v/.
If you asked for books similar to dark souls we might be able to help you , other than that gtfo.
>>
>>7696191
>If you asked for books similar to dark souls we might be able to help you
I don't need that, I already know.
I don't intent to ever go to /v/.
>>
>>7696245
You'll go to /v/ eventually. Don't pretend you're above it.
>>
>>7696301
I think I've there one time a couple of years ago to check if the legend was real.
Never again.
I do browse /dsg/ and /bbg/ on /vg/, though. It's terrible but I can't help it.
>>
>>7696099
It's great, so is the 2nd one even though loads of people hate it, can't wait for 3.
>>
>>7696175
Yes, that's what I said. Bloodborne is the most Lovecraftian literature (yes, it counts as literature) of the past decade.
>>
>>7696403
what is bait
>>
File: 1445743480539.png (148KB, 2500x1645px) Image search: [Google]
1445743480539.png
148KB, 2500x1645px
>>7696408
Is bait literature?
>>
>>7696403

Hey, you're not me, anonymous!
>>
>>7696408
BAIT DON'T HURT ME
>>
>>7696403
Wtf, it was me who made that post not you.
>>
>>7696400
But 2 is shit compared to the rest.
>>
File: 1454234735331.jpg (22KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1454234735331.jpg
22KB, 480x480px
>bloodborne
>lovecraftian

it's like making a game of Zahn's and Brian Herbert's rape of Dune and saying the game was true to Frank Herbert's vision.
>>
Long subthreads about
>Ejaculating on Marine Le Pen's legs
>Complaining about the lack of robot waifu stories in the West compared to honorabr Nippon
>Video games

Fuck off. Where the fuck are the mods, anyway?
>>
>>7696536
>Where the fuck are the mods, anyway?
Probably creating the 900th "Communism has never been tried, Mao/Stalin did nothing wrong" thread on /his/.
>>
>>7696536
>mfw it was me everytime
>>
File: 1445391085664.jpg (39KB, 640x636px) Image search: [Google]
1445391085664.jpg
39KB, 640x636px
>>7696541
ayylmao
liberal hotpocketeers getting roasted up in here
>>
>>7692871
watch 'her' if you want a love story between Robot/AI and a human
>>
>>7693872
are you me ?
>>
Has anyone read The Fool's Assassin from Robin Hobb ?
How did you like it compared to the previous books ?
>>
>>7696556
lol I know this girl irl
>>
>>7696950
How's the anal?
>>
>>7696950
>"girl"
>>
>>7693434
>Bakker
What's his full name?
>>
>>7697151
Bakkermonogatari
>>
>>7697151
R Scott Bakker

Second Apocalypse series, good shit
>>
Reposting from the other thread.

I'm thinking about making an infograph about Soulsborne literature, the problem is that I haven't read everything on my list, tell me what you think.

Things I've read:

>Lovecraft
>Machen
>Book of the New Sun
>Poe
>House on the Borderlands
>King in Yellow

Things I haven't read yet:

>Dunsany
>Dying Earth
>Bierce
>Blackwood

These should be the things with more ties with the games, to my knowledge. Do you think there are other essential works that should be on a chart like this?
>>
>>7694223
What
I see this "Dune is boring" meme every other day but I honestly haven't enjoyed any other series I've read quite as much as Dune. The problem is that the books don't really stand on their own, you have to read all six for the setting to make sense since Dune is ALL ACCORDING TO KEIKAKU: The series.
>>
>>7697262
Just off the top of my head, for people who may think I'm just shilling for Dune and who don't mind rather major spoilers:

Paul foresaw Muad'Dib's Jihad and the fact that someone (either him or his son, which he didn't predict) would have to go the metamorphosis into a sandworm to bring the Golden Path to reality (which doesn't appear until the THIRD book), all the way back in the beginning of the second act of the first book. By the beginning of Dune Messiah he realizes he fucked up by using his prescience that much and knows that the only way to untangle humanity's fate is the Golden Path, in addition to foreseeing the whole events of the book down to the finest details, which is how he convinces everyone he can see once he loses his eyes. Leto II is pre-born and a more powerful prescient than Paul, so he knows all the golden path shit and the whole events of Children of Dune as they're happening. Paul is still in denial since he loses his prescience in Messiah. At some point in the time-skip between Children and God-Emperor he finds out about the events of the last two books and that he would need to allow himself to be assasinated by Nayla in order to complete the Golden Path, and this trend continues.
>>
>>7697197
>Souls fans
Truly the worst fanbase no matter where you go.
>>
>>7697197
It's a pretty good list.
>>
>>7697396
What did I do now to trigger your autism?
>>
>>7697419
Its just the propensity for Soulsfags to slap "Soulslike" on everything that vaguely reminds them of the game
>>
>>7697422
How do you make a chart without doing that?
Inb4 you don't need a chart. That's my concern and of the interested people, not yours, if you don't like it, don't look at it.
>>
>>7697454
I actually like that you're compiling works with similar aesthetics. I'm just giving you the idea that comes from people against soulsfags.
>>
File: 5750628.jpg (47KB, 313x475px) Image search: [Google]
5750628.jpg
47KB, 313x475px
Someone here read pic related? How was it?
I like necromancers, and I'm ok if it's just a little edgy.
>>
>>7697467
I thought you were the first guy. My bad.
>>
File: stormfront.jpg (40KB, 311x500px) Image search: [Google]
stormfront.jpg
40KB, 311x500px
Why people like this shit? Why I keep reading this type of YA shit?
>>
>>7696030
Yes
>>
>>7695508
Greg Mandel trilogy by Peter f Hamilton? Ok so its not in space but the guy is somewhat a hero

Also check military sci fi like frontiers saga and similar
>>
File: 18170139.jpg (29KB, 267x400px) Image search: [Google]
18170139.jpg
29KB, 267x400px
>>7697594
You're wasting your time. I dropped that series on book 4. If you really want to dip into popcorn territory fantasy you might as well try a better one like pic related.

That said, I feel like both series is a waste of paper compared to Gaiman's Neverwhere so if you've read that you might as well abandon the YA ship until something better comes along.
>>
>>7697197
Tomb of Horrors adventure module by gary gygax.
>>
File: 20174424.jpg (129KB, 308x475px) Image search: [Google]
20174424.jpg
129KB, 308x475px
Any books similar to this (aside from the sequel)? I really love the themes of religion and white genocide it has going.
>>
File: oba sweaty.jpg (49KB, 620x388px) Image search: [Google]
oba sweaty.jpg
49KB, 620x388px
>>7695508
>looks interesting
>download ebook
>check author's other works
>Crysis 2
>Syndicate (2012 video game)
>mfw
>>
>>7697594

Urban Fantasy is kind of cool I guess. I think it worked better as a TV show though
>>
>>7697653
>>7695630
Thank you, will check those for sure.

>>7697742
Well, it's readable and entertaining, for sure not a masterpiece.
>>
>>7697483
I've read the sequel but not the first - it was alright, definitely some edginess to the main character but not in a terrible way.
>>
>>7693313
>why didn't this specific movie fulfil my fetish
>talking about shitty movies in a literature board
Why didn't you start with "give me Robot x human recs" instead of being an insipid retard? The Windup girl is vaguely similar to what you want.
>>
>>7695434
Do you find human contact tough? Like being hugged?
>>
>>7697711
Godless islander

Islander enslavement best day of my life
>>
Could you recommend me some good post apocalyptic books ? I'm looking for something similar to fallout
>>
>>7697711
>white genocide

what? will this trigger me?
>>
>>7698138
But that's what I did if you read my first post.
>>
>>7698250
Well, if you are a faggot who can't figure out that the white race is poison, probably.
>>
>>7698252
>white
>race
>>
File: 1452529449836.jpg (201KB, 961x750px) Image search: [Google]
1452529449836.jpg
201KB, 961x750px
>>7698252
*your sociology teacher has added 5 points of extra credit to your final grade for this post*
>>
>>7698323
>extra credit
The shonkiest shit going.
It legitimises favouritism and prevents foreigners from competing.
>>
>>7697197
Be advised that Machen is so unlike Miyazaki. His narration is dreamy, almost like a contemporary fairy tale, but still horrifying at moments. I would consider Ueda to be closer to Machen (which Miyazaki admits that his inspiration for Souls is Ico).
>>
>>7698344
Let's not go crazy with it. I'll see you in class.
>>
>>7692536
How is Nova?
>>
>>7692732
If you did it per capita, there probably the same amount of shit writers as men.

Men are shit at writing fantasy too if you take in all works as a whole.
>>
>>7698398
I liked it, good setting and some good characters (though, admittedly, a few were under-developed). From the description it sounds like it'd be pulp, or just a sci-fi take on Moby-Dick, but it's more interesting than that. I'd recommend it.
>>
>>7698250
Basically the European knockoffs ruled the world until an island of Indian knockoffs figured out how to kill the gods, then they zerg rushed europe and took over. I am sincerely enjoying the book, just poking fun at it. Whether it triggers you depends on you.
>>
>>7698208
Broken Empire series. Enjoy
>>
>>7696030

Because of the show? The finale has already aired, you know

Yes, but they're bound to take anti-cancer meds for the rest of their lives. Also, other damage like loss of hair and possible infertility and such is permanent
>>
>>7697711

Ah, I couldn't get into this book, at all, and I was sorry for it

What was even the point of the gay guy, other than to lecture us on "teh evil relijiown" out of nowhere
>>
>>7697594

Did you just read Stormfront?

General consensus is that it doesn't get really good until book 4
>>
>>7698624
He was a red herring to make you think he was setting up the rebellion, but also was a conduit to introduce his "evil" brother
>>
>>7697711
"Fowp, fowp, fowp" enjoy your nightmares with hands now, goodnights
>>
Was it just me or was Shadows of Self by Sanderson really fucking short? Like, even compared to his YA shit?

I'm losing my mind here.
>>
I've started with Rule 34 by Charles Stross. And I've liked how the book used different viewpoints to tell the story.

What's a Science Fiction book that uses different viewpoints to tell parts of the story?
>>
What are some good cyberpunk novels?
What's a good place to find writer advice?
>>
File: image.png (117KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
117KB, 1136x640px
>>7699120
>>
>>7692308
i dismissed startide rising at first because it looked retarded but its actually pretty good
>>
>>7699137
There's something about Brin I don't like. Startide covers the grand theme of interspecies uplift and the alien archaeology of advanced technology, but his narrative methods lack gravitas. I just didn't enjoy reading Startide because most of the scenes involved extremely prosaic social interactions. Even the combat scenes lacked an edge; there just wasn't much tension or intensity. I don't know, maybe I was just spoiled by Star Wars.
>>
>>7699137
>>7699202
The whole idea of the Uplift universe is quite brilliant, but Brin wastes so much potential on such a small scale in the sequels that it's a shame he even started it and made me ask for more. I read the first and second book, but couldn't get myself to read more.
The way he only superficially describes the other races, their politics, their beliefs, their politics towards each other (non-human centered politics) and never really gets into the mystery of the Progenitors is just jarring.
>>
>>7698807
It's shorter than his epic fantasy, but it's still longer than his YA and Alloy of Law.

Shadows of Self is just near perfectly paced so it's easy to lose track of how much progress you've made.
>>
>>7698376
I'll admit the only thing I read by him is the short story that inspired the Lovecraft' The Whisperer in Darkness, The Novel of the Black Seal.
>>
>>7698618
Isn't the 10th episode the last of season one?
>>
>>7699382
yeah and no new episodes for over a year. a year!
>>
>>7699385
Then how can you say they survived unless you read the books? I thought as much considered what they said about the asian bitch but the way they get hit by radiation is so stupid that I needed to know.
>>
>>7698961
>rule 34
If it exists there's porn of it?
>>7699132
Nice, I can't apply point 1 today anymore.
>>
>>7699389
Don't (you) me because it wasn't me giving you those spoilers, but you know it's based on a series of books, right? Why would they divert from the outline those, when they haven't even covered the whole of the first book yet?
>>
>>7699394
No, they guy said that you can tell they survive. You can't just from the tv end, though.
>>
>>7699400
but why would they let them die? it's not game of thrones and they have main roles in the new season as well, main roles mean they won't just show up in flashbacks.
>>
>>7697711
I couldn't get into this book at all, bored to tears I'm afraid.
>>
Yo are there any adventure books with horror elements. Like Solomon Kane but less pulpy and more lowkey. Something like The 13th Warrior would be perfect.
>>
So i wonder, what do you guys think about reddit list

http://www.listchallenges.com/reddits-top-105-fantasy-novelsseries-of-all-time
>>
>>7699791
I'm not an expert but it looks like shit.
>>
>>7699791
>Game of Thrones 1st
I don't even need to check the rest
>>
>>7699791
>#3
What the actual fuck Reddit?
>>
File: v7Q5F.jpg (146KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
v7Q5F.jpg
146KB, 900x600px
>>7697483
I'm reading the first book. It can be pretty funny at times.

>If you have any feelings of inadequacy whatsoever, then here is the place to come, to point and say, ‘There, but for the grace of God, go I!’”
>A crowd was growing. A young woman nervously held up her hand. “I … I … I have freckles.”
>Cabal gestured fiercely over his shoulder with his thumb. “We have the Dalmatian Boy. Next?”
>A man called, “I have a bit of an overbite.”
>“Then gaze in delighted wonder upon the Human Shark. Next!”
>“My nose is a little too pert,” said an almost stereotypical blond woman on the arm of a wealthy man.
>“It can’t be as pert as Simone Sans-Nez the Noseless Girl’s. Next!”
>“I’m ginger,” called a teenage boy.
>“So you are. Yes, my friends! The House of Medical Monstrosity! Slake your thirst for abomination and abnormality!"
>>
>>7700098
This is funny, but I can't get into books like that. It's reminding me of Neverwhere, I'm trying to read it but the mixture of comedy and intended creepiness doesn't do it for me.
>>
>>7692308
Really? Even /lit/ lumps SciFi and Fantasy together? Fuck I want to stab the asshole who started doing this shit.
>>
>>7700127
A thread about one or the other would die fairly quickly, imo this is why it's done that way.
>>
>>7692320
For you.
>>
>>7700127
>Even /lit/
Fucking reddit scum, take your autism and fuck off.
>>
>>7700171
>reddit
What the hell are you talking about?
>>
>>7700127
It's the same thing.
>>
>>7700127
And bizarrely it's never "SciFi/Fantasy/Horror" which at least makes some kind of sense.
>>
>>7700383
Horrorfag gtfo

Make your own thread. I remember you from 3 threads ago. GTFO

Why don't we make a he her and it thread while we at it fucking tumblgay scum.
>>
>>7700429

Calm down you literal autistic
>>
>>7700383
Can "fantastic" be used as an umbrella term in English? In Italian it can, well obviously it's "fantastico".
But I'm not too sure about Horror, for example I don't think you could consider Misery a Fantastico story. Lovecraft certainly could be.
>>
>>7700439

It can and historically has been like you described but in a modern context people would just take it as a synonym for "good"
>>
>>7700448
Then why differentiate between Sci-fi and Fantasy and Horror? Even more so if you make a single thread.
>>
>>7700383
>>7700439
How about "Speculative Fiction General"?
>>
how about we leave it exactly as it is?
>>
>>7700506
This

Sjw are not welcomed here. You are taking our books and movies, well you will not take our general too.
>>
>>7700506
>>7700531
What? The only thing mentioned has been uniting Sci-fi, Fantasy and Horror and it was in form of a question.
>>
>>7700531
>Sjw are not welcomed here
They've already won, just accept you aren't going to get published as a white heterosexual male already.
>>
>>7700577
remember when women had to publish under a male name to get published at all? soon it will be the other way round.
>>
>>7700589
>remember when women had to publish under a male name to get published at all?
No? I wasn't alive in the 1800's.
>>
>>7700589
I've thought about writing things with a woman's name and then revealing it was a male's work all along.
>>
File: 1452442394098.jpg (8KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
1452442394098.jpg
8KB, 259x194px
>>7700589
Yeh I read Andre Norton as a kid as well. That shit does not hold up into older ages, but it was "fun".

She didn't publish under a man's name because of the "establishment, she did it because young boys didn't want to read sci-fi and fantasy by an old dyke.
>>
>>7700626
You'll just get blacklisted, possibly sued and almost definitely unpersoned.
>>
File: 1451940046211.png (177KB, 266x593px) Image search: [Google]
1451940046211.png
177KB, 266x593px
>>7700776
>sued
for what? writing under a pen name?
just say you were experimenting with your own literary sexuality and expressing your artistic nonbinary womanhood
>>
>>7700793
Fraud
>>
File: 1452498254408.png (33KB, 917x1186px) Image search: [Google]
1452498254408.png
33KB, 917x1186px
>>7700798
Don't dead name me, cishet. I go by the pronouns confidence trickster, swindler, and conniver, but DON'T CALL ME A FRAUD!
>>
File: 1447967596824.jpg (73KB, 960x955px) Image search: [Google]
1447967596824.jpg
73KB, 960x955px
>>7700798
>>7700813
oh you meant the crime is fraud. I though you were calling me a fraud.

Fraud is a legal concept, it doesn't just mean lying. This would not be fraud.
>>
>>7700826
If you've essentially tricked a publisher into publishing you in by claiming you're somebody your not that's the literal definition of fraud.
>>
File: 1453231843194.png (559KB, 1338x594px) Image search: [Google]
1453231843194.png
559KB, 1338x594px
>>7700833
You can't be sued for identifying as a woman.
>>
File: 1382562401265.jpg (144KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
1382562401265.jpg
144KB, 960x640px
>>7700776
That'd be the point.
>>
>>7700845
Actually you can, personal experience, race, gender etc. is considered a occupational qualification for authorship/acting aka they can legally discriminate again you (a white heterosexual male).
>>
File: 1451008989693.jpg (110KB, 634x475px) Image search: [Google]
1451008989693.jpg
110KB, 634x475px
>>7700859
show me some precedence then, mr smart guy
>>
>>7700487
Speculative fiction is much more specific and wouldn't include a lot of good stuff like Lankhmar.
>>
>>7700859
Another brainwashed doormat. If you prefer you can never claim to be a female. Just send a manuscript with a female name.
>>
>>7700776
>>7700798
>>7700833

Are there any cases actually like this?
>>
>>7700999
Didn't this just happen to Nick Cole?
>>
>>7701063

Who?
>>
>>7701063

Only Nick Cole writer I am aware of is the guy who got his contract terminated because he put a pro-life abortion scene in his newest book.
>>
>>7701131
that's a whole different case of retardedness though.

www.nickcolebooks.com/2016/02/09/banned-by-the-publisher/

he didn't get problems because he was male, which was the initial question, but because he didn't submit to the "progressive" agenda of his publisher.
>>
>>7701179
When you put "banned" on something, does that make people (Americlaps) want to buy it more?
>>
>>7701179

Yeah, so that's not really relevant to the discussion.
>>
>>7700127
They're both part of speculative literature, and certain novels (BotNS, Lord of Light) blur genre distinctions, so there are definite thematic continuities.

Now fuck off and die.
>>
>Publishing under a female white name
Point and laugh.

Everybody knows your supposed to go the Asian route.
>>
>>7701278
Personally I've never gotten involved in gender issues, but I hope things get resolved for all parties for the better.
>>
>>7701278

So, asian female name?
>>
Any good folklore fiction books?

Particularly interested in something of the Arthurian legend.
>>
>>7701214
yes that's what I pointed out by linking the article and writing in my post. thanks for pointing it out again captain.
>>
>>7701326

Forgive any redundancy.

Arthurian legend is spam-mutated do death, but TH White's "The Once and Future King" is the well established modern treatment. Cornwell's "The Winter King" disects the legends, depicting Arthur as a tragic hero, Lancelot as a douchebag, and Merlin is treated closer to a Druid, than his wizardly depictions of earlier times.

In vein of general European chivalric literature, I would also recommend Ariosto's "Orlando Furioso", which can be read as a deconstruction of the idea of chivalry.
>>
>>7701392
>Lancelot as a douchebag
Ugh.
>>
>>7701278
What the fuck are those points? I don't understand Engrish.
>>
>>7701392
When was Lacelot not a douchebag?
>>
>>7701462
Lancelot is literally Jesus m8
>>
>>7701462
Troyes' 12th century version of Lancelot makes him out to be the symbol of courtly love. Cornwell doesn't sanitize his duplicity as previous authors have.
>>
>>7692308
i have recently been reading Dune. It's just a book that I picked up at barnes and nobles. I think it got a couple awards or something, but god, is it terrible to read. The book lacks any subtlety(it's like the writer is intentionally shoving foreshadowing in my face, among other things), the writer sounds autistic, and I am about 300 pages in, and nothing has happened. Why do I even try with this genre? Where can I find some lord of the rings quality shit?
>>
>>7701548
Real question is: what's the LOTR of sci-fi?
>>7701465
>>7701490
I don't care about context, fucking someone else's wife is not ok.
>>
>>7701600
>Real question is: what's the LOTR of sci-fi?

Foundation Trilogy
>>
>>7701600
I agree. The addition of Lancelot anyhow is superfluous, except it hints at the centuries long rivalry between Britain and France.
>>
What is the most captivating fa tasy book you've read so far /lit/? The one that you couldnt put down and finished the quickest.
>>
>>7701600
In what aspect? pure influence or simple enjoyability?
>>
>>7701600

The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress or/and Starship Troopers
>>
>>7701666
None of those. What does Enjoyability even means? Not everyone enjoys the same things.
What stays on top of all sience fiction for quality, influence and fame?
>>7701636
Still haven't read.
>>
>>7701660
The Lies of Locke Lamora was fun as fuck
>>
>>7701660
Dying Earth
>>
>>7701212
No because Americans are fat, dumb and don't read.
>>
>>7701660
Malazan book of the fallen. The ten of them.
>>
Are there any fantasy books that deal with supernatural beings trying to fit in human society/living amidst them while not being common sights?
>>
>>7701987
Gaiman's American Gods.

The main plot is an ocean's eleven type recruiting effort, but along the way are plenty of examples of gods and goddesses blending into quotidian life, including a fertility goddess having a breakdown in a diner.
>>
>>7701987
For graphic novels/comics, there's Willigham's Fables series (DC Comics).
>>
>Revelation Space
>That happy ending
I really did not see that coming.l
>>
>>7701278
>That grammar
>>
>>7702048
I read that. That one has a grander scale than I was thinking as it deals with pretty much the entire pantheons in america. I was thinking of something on a smaller scale, more about characters like Hinzelmann in his town. Did I spell him right? The one who disses warming someone's blood to save him after they escape drowning.
>>
File: alloy_map_1_world-webres.png (272KB, 795x1200px) Image search: [Google]
alloy_map_1_world-webres.png
272KB, 795x1200px
>>7702067
Read Galactic North.

>>7701987
If, for some reason, you want the complete opposite, read Everworld.
>>
>>7702048
>including a fertility goddess having a breakdown in a diner.

What? I can't recall that... Baast though, she is in my mind.
>>
>>7702081
Other than the DC series, "Fables", I can't help you there. Crowley's "Little, Big", is like One Hundred Years of Solitude except with fairies, but it seems only 60% similar to what you're looking for.

On the plus side, you can write what you're looking for.
>>
>>7702190
And by that I mean you could write a novel with those themes.
>>
>>7700113
You sound boring, senpai.
>>
>>7701987
That's exactly what The Shambling series is.
>>
>>7702239
Maybe I am. It may be because I didn't expect it to go that way, or because my mood wasn't right for it though, I do enjoy his writing, and have enjoyed similarIly written books in the past.

But yeah, I stopped reading at the part where he introduced the villains. I'll come back to it another times see how I feel then.
>>
>>7702189
In chapter 11, the goddess we reflexively refer to as Easter is humiliated when a waitress shows that all that remains of Easter's memory are indolent neopagan bastardizations, a far cry from her old world splendor.
>>
>>7702339
New Thread
>>
>>7701987
Parts of reaperman are about Death being relieved of his duty and spending the time he's thus given in the countryside.
>>
>>7702289
Isn't Easter a fat skank?(the real god?)
>>
>>7702350
She was THICK but not American fat.
>>
File: Isn't this her.jpg (92KB, 640x949px) Image search: [Google]
Isn't this her.jpg
92KB, 640x949px
>>7702375
Pic related
>>
>>7702400
More like
>>
>>7702400
>>7702375
>>7702350
>>7702347
A new thread is up.

>>7702339
New Thread
>>
>>7701326
Croatian Tales from Long Ago by Ivana Brlic Mazuranic, can be found online, 1920s illustrated edition. The transition is kinda shitty, but it'll have to do.
>>
>>7701548
Book of the New Sun, Solaris, Lord of Light, A Scanner Darkly, Lathe of Haven.
>>
>>7702824
We know. As of this writing, we're on page 7. This is /lit/ we're talking about, you don't make a new thread just because we hit bump limit unless it's a busy day.
>>
What is your favorite "magic" system to come out of a fantasy series? I'm a big fan of Feruchemy from the mistborn series.
Thread posts: 327
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.