[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the cases of movie being better than the book other

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2

File: 12.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
12.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
What are the cases of movie being better than the book other than Coraline and Women in Dunes?
>>
>>7689748

American Psycho

Clockwork Orange

The Shining

Inasmuch as two entirely separate media can be compared as basically as this.
>>
Never Let Me Go
>>
There Will Be Blood
>>
>>7689748
I'd argue that Baz Luhrmann's adaptation of The Great Gatsby is better than the novel since it takes out unnecessary details and just gets right down to the meat of it.

Saying that, I did enjoy The Great Gatsby and despite what neigh sayers on /lit/ suggest, I'd argue it's at least worthy of a reading if you didn't read it in school.
>>
>>7689762
>Clockwork Orange
you're wrong
>>
>>7689762
>muh kubrick
>>
>>7689748
lost and delirious (wives of bath)
although I prefer the books ending where the tranny loses her shit and wears the janitors dick running around showing it off to everyones horror. and how mouse faps watching her friend getting fucked up against a tree while the tranny loses her shit completely and spirals into madness bcuz no dick.
>>
Blade Runner
Solaris (not even joking - admittedly, some parts of the book might have gone over my head)
Howl's Moving Castle
>>
>>7689762
>Clockwork Orange
He fucking butchered it. One of the weakest Kubrick films
>>
>>7689748
interview with the vampire
>>
File: 1atticusmain.jpg (41KB, 556x314px) Image search: [Google]
1atticusmain.jpg
41KB, 556x314px
Ill go ahead and say it
>>
>>7690309
Not read the book but damn, that was a powerful film.
>>
Solaris for sure, the looney version I mean. It gets a lot of hate but I like it more than the original.
>>
>>7689748
The Godfather
I bought in Krakow because I needed something to read on my flight.
I don't know what I expected, but I didn't expect that.
>>
Jaws, which is a terrible book for terrible people
>>
>>7690108
I thought the film was good, but it was the savory details that made Gatsby such a wonderful novel. The prose is incredible and emphasizes the themes throughout. You just can't get that into a movie adaptation.
>>
Woman in the Dunes isn't better than the book. It just doesn't have a decent English translation
>>
>>7689748
Valerie and Her Week of Wonders
>>
Forest Gump
Although I did like that the book didn't make him an infallible angel
>>
>>7689762
all wrong

>>7690308
even

>>7690405
right

>>7690431
right

>>7690517
right. and he may not have been an infallible angel, but the whole cannibal tribe section was way worse.
>>
>>7690287
I couldn't disagree with the Solaris bit any more than I do. The film eviscerates almost everything that the book was about and the only compensation is some good cinematography (while being average or even sub-par for Tarkovksy). Even the aesthetic of the film is seriously hampered by the god awful effects and the over reliance on the artistic achevments of others, i.e. Bach and Bruegel.
>>
>>7690287
>>7690314
amazon's recent ebook only translation of Solaris by bill johnston was a much better experience than the polish to french to english first effort
>>
>>7690108
Gatsby is not a subtle novel (that's why they study it in high schools), but Luhrmann managed to make things even less subtle. For example, when Daisy says she's never seen such beautiful shirts, they preface it with Nick in voiceover saying she couldn't say the words about the 5 years missed, so she said that instead. Shameless spoonfeeding.
>>
>>7689762
nah bro American Psycho the book is better. Christian Bale's heroic performance is rusing you.
>>
>>7689813
this

Also, Full Metal Jacket and The Godfather.
>>
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
>>
Fight Club
>>
>>7690309
nah, that's the single "they're both perfect" instance
>>
>>7691457
>doesn't into "book-to-film adaptations are fair game to fuck with so long as the director/writer gives a shit"
>>
>>7692494
Fight club? No fucking way, have u actually read the book?
>>
>>7692534
fuck off pahlanicuck
>>
>>7690526
>all wrong
>he unironically thinks King's book is better than Kubrick's movie

JUST SHOOT ME F A M
>>
>>7689748

The Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me. Both were from Different Seasons by Stephen King.
>>
>>7692494
>>7692534
>>7692571

Yes, Fightclub.

The author himself admitted he preferred the movie version. I've read the book. It's good, but not quite as pungent as the movie.
>>
Double Indemnity
Badge of Evil (Touch of Evil)
The Executioners (Cape Fear)
>>
>>7689748
Stardust, reinforcing my notion that Gaiman is a writer of images, not prose
>>
>>7689748
fight club is a pretty good movie, i have yet read the book. but the movie is the imdb cannon. where as you don't hear much about fight club the book
>>
To me Jurassic Park is the big one. A pretty shitty genre fic turned into a masterfully crafted piece of pop art.
>>
The End of the Tour
>>
up in the air
>>
>>7692685
I feel the same way. Everything I have read by him has been garbage except for Sandman. although I read that as a teenager. Not sure what I would think of it if I were to reread it.
>>
>>7691457
To say he relies on Bruegel is overstating things, might be able to argue it for The Mirror, but not Solaris. Haven't read the book, but the film still has a strong message/themes while being masterfully done. The atmosphere is top notch. I agree it's one of his weaker films, but only because his filmography is so strong. It gets shit on entirely too much because people identify with Stalker much more, and they can tell it's a much more personal film than Solaris was for Tarkovsky.
>>
Perfume: The story of a murderer
>>
>>7690504
I have recently watched this movie. I had no idea that it was made after a book. Now, that I know it exists, I would be curious to read it, but you are telling me that the movie is better, so I'm confused.
>>
>>7692590
>book: jack starts sane, ends crazy
>movie: jack starts crazy, ends crazy

yeah, movie's so much better.

but that's what i expect from /lit/'s kneejerk king hate.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.