[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone recommend something not depressing? I just read the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: tumblr_nsry5mYw9P1tbcb6no1_400.jpg (43KB, 342x458px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nsry5mYw9P1tbcb6no1_400.jpg
43KB, 342x458px
Can someone recommend something not depressing? I just read the metamorphosis by franz kafka. What an absolutely empty and painful feeling that book left me with. All I could think about was how depressing life is, I want a book that leaves me feeling empowered and optimistic. Is there a book that's either funny and /or optimistic that is still either disturbing and creepy and deeply philosophical and psychological? I'm looking for something that involves people living very atypical lives, with atypical personalities or something.
>>
You utterly misunderstood the metamorphosis
Read a confederacy of dunces
>>
>>7688135
Book of disquiet
>>
Read Pynchon
>>
read some of Iain M Banks' Culture novels ("which ones are they?" look him up on wikipedia). there are depressing moments in them here and there, but ultimately the good guys prevail and, jesus h fuck, the Culture is itself the best thing that humanity could possibly evolve into.
>>
Read Nietzsche.

Not history but I also recommend reading history. It's probably the most empowering subject out there.
>>
>>7688651
Meant to say "not literature" not "not history"

o god the shame
>>
>>7688135
Kafka's one of the most hilarious authors ever, though.
>>
Life is depressing. Why would you like to delude yourself and not see reality? Are you a dishonest person?
>>
>>7688651
is it? i’ve been reading lots of china’s lately and it’s just one sad casualty after another.
>>
>>7688135
the holy bible
>>
>>7688159
This
>>
"metamorphosis" is lightweight. read the trial and shakespeare's king lear if you want to kill happiness for good
>>
>>7688135
RED GRASS BY BORIS VIAN
>>
>>7688814
Did you know our boy Franz had hysterical fits of laughter that upset his neighbors at night while he was writing the trial ?

Being depressed by it is peculiar to say the least

You're on the wrong side of the blade
>>
>>7688820
Same with metamorphosis except at readings for his friends. He had to stop reading because he was laughing too hard.

This obviously doesn't mean the books aren't depressing though, you idiot.
>>
>>7688858
Yes it does [insult]
>>
File: 1455075881074.png (45KB, 596x658px) Image search: [Google]
1455075881074.png
45KB, 596x658px
>>7688538
>implying the culture isn't last man-dom personified
it's basically just a bunch of mellow english liberals with godtech
>>
>>7688871
>>7688871
fuck off back to your 3 legged monsters Bora Horza.
>>
Journey to the end of the night
>>
>>7688141
>>7688664
>>7688820
>the idiot hivemind spouting that Kafka is ''funny'' when Kafka being humorous doesn't mean at all you are supposed to laugh or feel good about what he's writing
>mfw i imagine these faggots laughing while reading The Castle or The Penal Colony, because they want to fit in to academic literature criticism, completely unaware that kafkas humor is a dark and twisted one, that is much more agonizing than it is ''funny'' and that the anecdotes of Kafka laughing while writing or telling the story to his friends in a humorous way takes anything away from the surreal, nightmarish atmosphere of the novels

I wonder how utterly retarded you have to be to think The Trial is supposed to be funny. When will this meme end? Just because you don't get kafka, you don't have to jump to the first viable interpretation that ''you are not supposed to get it, it's supposed to be hilarious''
>>
>>7688135

From where have you taken the picture from? The style seems like Junji Ito's one, but i can't associate it to any of his stories I've read.
>>
>>7689217
I just found it on some comedy blog. I thought the picture was hilarious. It's like, oh there's this disembodied head with entrails hanging off of it, possibly one of the most horrifying things you could see when you open your window and this girl's just like "oh it's you".
>>
>>7688135
Moby Dick
>>
>>7689023
This idiotic meme was started by none other than the supremely idiotic meme himself, David Foster Wallace. May he haunt this fucking board til we all kill ourselves from his retardedly 'deep' and 'complex' insights.
>>
>>7689217
shintarou kago - head prolapse elegy
>>
>>7688159
>>7688802
>>
>>7689246
You know what's funnier? That's actually from a hentai manga that details the turbulent love life of a penanggalan (not a pontianak as the English translation says), a woman who can detach her head along with her entrails. And apparently, she just realized she can actually infect other people with her condition, so she sets out to find love by spreading this condition everywhere.

It had the weirdest ending ever. "Getting your head removed FEELS SO GOOD!!!"

^ I can never erase that line from my head now...
>>
>>7688871

This, read xeelee novels for some true will to power with godtech humans.
>>
>>7688141
> The Metamorphosis
> not depressing

Did we read the same thing at all? Like, I appreciate it's somewhat absurdist and amusing in that way but overall it was a pretty cold perspective on how quickly people turn against their own.
>>
>>7688159
Lololololololololol
>>
>>7689023
I have laughed out loud while reading The Castle, without any will to go along with literary criticism (which I very much despise, btw). I wouldn't say it's supposed to be a humorous book alone, but it does have many scenes that are remarkable funny.
>>
File: idiran.jpg (69KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
idiran.jpg
69KB, 800x600px
>>7688927
fuckin' Idiran whores, amirite?
>>
File: justice_Aiko_win_and_gold.jpg (155KB, 364x360px) Image search: [Google]
justice_Aiko_win_and_gold.jpg
155KB, 364x360px
>>7689217
pretty sure it's Shintaro Kago, who is just as fucked up as Junji Ito but with more of a poop fetish.
>>
If on a winter's night a traveler
Rorty's pragmatism
>>
>>7688159
after reading this ive been looking for so much more like it. where do i go from here? more pessoa? started fucking with society of the spectacle and theory of bloom, any suggestions?
>>
>>7692608
still interested, anyone?
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.