[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Greetings and goodevenings, /lit/. I would just like to bring

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

File: Prof._Gass275x370.gif (70KB, 269x368px) Image search: [Google]
Prof._Gass275x370.gif
70KB, 269x368px
Greetings and goodevenings, /lit/. I would just like to bring to your attention this wonderfully crafted, beautifully composed sentence from The Tunnel. Enjoy, friends.

Whatever the world really is; whatever we share when we think we share something; whatever the truth turns out to be, including the possibility that the truth was turned out of this world like a disgraced daughter long ago; in short, whatever remains and acts with regularity and can be counted on, whatever that whatever is, Kohler: this much is true of it, even of the untruthful part, namely that reality permits us to believe anything or its opposite, as we wish, even both at the same time; it allows us to be stupid and willful and perverse and blind without any special penalty, to live in a daydream or a nightmare, as one drugged or drunk or worse, to follow religion, ideology, or myth, any half-baked scheme our wretched wants miscook; and while in our delusion, while traveling our dream streets day after day, and confessing our sins and sacrificing our virgins and circumcising our cocks and lighting candles in front of crudely colored crockery and cursing people who eat with spoons, sticks, fingers, differently from us, and killing those who have hair in their noses, or those who fail to fart after eating beans, or those who spit upon our sacred shadows, who refuse to banish their unclean women to the blood huts, as well as those who put vinegar in milk, chlorine in water, feet in shoes; even so, while our minds miscarry, we nevertheless fuck, we grow fat, we multiply; yes, that "out there," that it, that other, lets us make fools of ourselves and prosper; we can waltz while the world ends and worry about what will cure warts; but the wonder of it is, Kohler, that as heedless as we invariably are about consequences, we shall waltz to music by Strauss and Mozart, dance divinely on the edge of doom; the head cold of a Milton, the mist in Blake, can encourage the divinest poetry, inspire Dante; we can paint lies so allegorically belief will run to catch up, and create a culture out of sheer kookiness the eyes of others will envy, emulate, admire, adopt.
>>
Top toad, /lit/hren
>>
>>7687425
Which was your favorite part?
>>
Hey, it's Gassposter!
Thanks again, Gassposter
>>
>>7687452
No thanks needed. I'm just spreading the glory of Gass.
>>
>>7687205
;Not;enough;semi;colons;apply;yourself;senpai;
>>
>>7687529
Please do not mock or make fun of Mr. Gass.
>>
>>7687549
I;tried;to;immerse;myself;in;the;supposed;beauty;but;when;I;was;about;half;the;sentence;I;just;couldn't;take;it;anymore;it;was;too;much;for;me;to;handle;
>>
>>7687569
Not the Gassposter (s/o to the Gassposter) but do the semicolons really bug you that much? I don't get it
>>
>>7687205
truly euphoric
>>
>>7687569
Just go with the flow, anon; settle into it like it was quicksand, a waterbed, a warm bath; don't struggle or spit or resist; rest, relax, and just go with the flow.
>>
hell be fine
>>
>>7687638
pls no
>>
>>7687599
>>7687633
At a certain point I started laughing. Especially considered the introduction given.
How does that count as a single sentence is beyond me, there must be like 50 sentences there.
I think I have a completely opposite idea of composition.
>>
I liked it. Thanks
>>
I mean yeah, obviously
>>
>>7687650
No offense, but if your idea of composition differs from Gass', it is likely--very likely--wrong. You have to understand how staggeringly intelligent Gass is, how many thousands--tens of thousands, maybe--of hours Gass has spent reading and writing, how deeply he understands language--he has his PhD in the philosophy of it, after all--and inner workings. As silly as it sounds, if Gass thinks something, he is probably right; if he does something while he is writing, something that seems strange, seems like it isn't right, it is right.
>>
>>7687689
I prefer to be wrong and reason with my own head and steadily and slowly grow in the process, thanks.
>>
>>7687701
Don't be too prideful; learn from others.
>>
>>7687701
Why not learn from Dr. Gass instead of being delusional?
>>
>>7687701
>>7687706
this is why i come here mates
>>
>>7687710
For the Gassposting?
>>
>>7687724
nah for the different pov's
>>
>>7687823
Ah. I see and agree: that is quite appealing.
>>
>>7687837
>>7687823
So are you guys going to fuck?
>>
>>7687839
I don't know. Maybe.
>>
>>7687706
There's not being too prideful and learning from others and then there's this >>7687689, which seems like turning off your brain.
>>
It's honestly a very beautiful passage, all memes aside.
>>
that passage is so whatever
>>
>>7688840
But I'm doing no such thing; I just recognize that Gass is older than I am, smarter than I am, and much more well-read than I am; in other words, I know that Amy opinion he may have is infinitely more educated than mine; so I listen, learn, let go my ego, and push my agon towards its inevitable end, when I will either break off/away/out or be subsumed.
>>
>>7689165
*any
>>
>>7688842
I'm glad you enjoyed it :).
>>7688911
:(
>>
>>7687205
>we can waltz while the world ends and worry about what will cure warts
Wow, that's pretty much what 2015 was for me.

brb buying the tunnel
>>
I read Omensetter's Luck and it read like Nabokov poorly attempting to imitate Faulkner. I'm not really a fan of aesthetes, I need some meat to sink my teeth into.
>>
>>7689617
I hope you like it.
>>
>>7689625
The Tunnel is much better, both stylistically and content-wise. I recommend you try it
>>
Read Middle C then, later on, omensetter, and was always further more agreeing with myself that he is an average writer trying to hack his way into greatness. Now, from the snippets I read of it, the tunnel seems like a piled up gimmick plastered with shallow philosophical thoughts to compensate its weak plot. I liked the prose in middle c and sometimes it was brilliant, but it felt that all the book was just continuous attempts to craft nice paragraphs and only at moments succeeding.
>>
>>7690293
Your bait does not rustle me, friend. A+ for the effort, though.
>>
was actually excited to read this but apparently it's just a fat recluse venting over 30 years. was expecting something like his short stories or omensetters luck
>>
>>7690587
That is what it is on the outside; but, on the inside, it is a highly allusive, allegorical, and philosophical work. It is an artistic attempt to encompass the hate and horror of the holocaust. I highly recommend you read both it and Into The Tunnel: Readings of Gass's Novel simultaneously, as it will help you understand what's happening behind the pretty prose.
>>
>that pic
thanks for ruining him for me. i can't take fat people seriously. dropped
>>
>>7690524
It wasn't intended to rustle, but I see how its truth, marked by your lack of rebuke, would unsettle jimmies of the fanboy in you.
>>
>>7690620
thanks for the response.
the problem i have with this passage is that it feels very inorganic from what i've read from gass.

it seems like a shoehorned take on our morbid reality that would appeal mostly to people in their early 20s. generally, people who can't consolidate feelings of nihilism.

i'm sure this book has the same beauty of language as his other work, but does it aim for a sense of beauty in the mundane? or should i expect 700 pages of why life is terrible. i don't know how else to say it.
>>
File: into the trash it goes.jpg (47KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
into the trash it goes.jpg
47KB, 300x400px
>>7690620
>the holocaust
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.