[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So... he's a banal pseud, right? >boo hoo hoo my life

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2

File: No_Longer_Human.jpg (28KB, 750x1050px) Image search: [Google]
No_Longer_Human.jpg
28KB, 750x1050px
So... he's a banal pseud, right?
>boo hoo hoo my life is great but I feel so empty inside
yeah great like I haven't read that shit a million times before
>>
>boo hoo hoo my life is great but I feel so empty inside
That would fit the /lit/ blogposters better

Didn't the protag barely have the rent money while having a ton of mental issues? It's been a while since I read that book
>>
>>7684410
after his father told him to gtfo, but yeah he as a lot o mental issues.
>>
Lol look at these plebs dismissing with Osamu Dazai so easily and foolishly.
>>
i thought it was a good, relatable novel.
>>
>>7684394

He needed the salvation of Christ.
>>
>>7684394
But that's not the point.
Ōba is just narrating life from his point of view, his alienation from everyone else and how it affects his decision-making in life. It's a bleak and depressing novel in it's honesty, there is never any "I'm alone please feel sorry for me".
I'm sorry if you missed the point of it, it's an exceptionally written novel.
>>
>>7686760
how many translations are there?
>>
it's like that elliot kid's journal essentially, even in the prose
>>
I thought I would love this novel and relate to it completely, but I actually didn't think much of it. It didn't really describe my sort of depression at all, and I was frustrated and annoyed with the main character's actions. I didn't find it particularly bleak or moving either.
>>
>>7687801
bait
>>
what happened between his wife and that one guy? was she cheating on him?
>>
>>7688128
Seemed to me like the line between consensual cheating and rape in 1930s japan is not where we expect it.
>>
>>7687801
Exactly
>>
>>7686755
>it's an exceptionally written novel
>>7687801
>even in the prose

>japanese book
>judging it from the English translation
>>7688128
She was raped and he couldn't bare to look at her anymore. It was over for him, it was like a beautiful flower, a shining guiding light in which he had put all his remaining "hopes" had been soiled forever. And it was all his fault.
Plus something else which I don't remember right now.
>>
What's up with older Japanese novels having NTR/cuck shit? some dude raping the wife in this one and the entire second half of Naomi
>>
>>7686701
i dismiss him simply because hes japanese

japanese people are objectively the most ignorant people on the planet
>>
I was planning on buying this until I saw the anime adaptation. I don't think I'll like it.
>>
>>7688982
they would say the same for westerners
>>
>>7689197
Man I didn't even know that existed. It even seems to cover Sosekis Kokoro.

Is it good?
>>
>>7686727

may christposting on lit never stop, forever and ever amen
>>
>>7688982
>japanese people are objectively the most ignorant people on the planet
>proceeds to walk with the shoes inside the house
>>
>>7689216
you obviously know very little
>>
>>7684410
>>7684418
Been a while since I read this, but he's got an addictive personality with some severe isolation issues but I didn't notice anything you'd brand as "mental issues".
>>
He's been raped by the housemaids when he was little, if you didn't get it.
>>
>>7690093
women can't rape
>>
>>7690143
Judging from his mental problems I'd say they can.
>>
>>7688953
Japanese isn't Mandarin or German. It's a very simple language that translates easily and well into English. There are lots of inferences one can make about prose.
>>
>>7690143
They can always try.
>>
>>7690344
Exactly. Paradoxically for that reason all the nuance is probably lost.
>>
Yeah I wasn't too impressed when I read it. /lit/ really overhyped this book. I was expecting some great and thoughtful work but it was basically a sad alcoholic navel-gazing for a hundred pages. Some great moments, to be sure, but not a great book.
>>
>>7690390
>sad alcoholic navel-gazing
Pleb.
>>
>>7689309
the irony is rich
>>
>>7690344
>translates easily and well into English
lel no
>>
>>7690093
I completely missed that
>>
>>7690748
That's why I posted it, I knew you fuckers can't even pay attention to what you read, it was pretty obvious from the other posts.
>>
>>7688961

A lot of high profile novels are cucky as hell desu senpai. Literature is the refuge of the beta male.
>>
>>7690738
Well tell us why. What is it about the language that makes it difficult to render into English. The grammar, the syntax?
>>
>>7690780
>>7690093
Would you mind quoting the section? When I read it I got it from the library so I can't get the text in front of me right now.
>>
>>7691828
Nigga I read it like 2 years ago and I don't have the book, I loaned it from the library too.
Anyway, if I'm not mistaken there are two parts in the novel that allude to it. One in the beginning and another one maybe near the end. I could be wrong though.
>>
>>7690922
Tolstoy is basically a slightly wordier BLACKED script.

Also I finished Journey To The End Of The Night last week and I counted at least 6 different times Celine told us of people, often himself, getting cucked.
>>
>>7691653
Yes motherfucker! Including lots of cultural terms we haven't given English words, because we don't do or have some things they do. And the descriptive words that are only a few characters, but would require their own sentence to translate properly. Japanese is nothing like English, that's why Donald Keene is admired so much.
>>
File: 1454499090524.jpg (105KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1454499090524.jpg
105KB, 480x270px
>>7690344
>It's a very simple language that translates easily and well into English.
>>
>>7691653
First you have chinese characters, which color the words. The greats use odd kanji choices to add nuance to their work.

Second Japanese has a ridiculous number of words in standard usage. This can make shit seem very long-winded because English requires an entire sentence or clause for one word in Japanese.

Third Japanese omits subjects, but doesn't conjugate verbs, which can lead to necessary liberties during translation.

There are others including levels of formality nonexistent in English, story telling format (kishotenketsu), and its ridiculous compound word creation system, but that should give you a start.
>>
>>7693584
Sounds like something beautiful and worthy of translation to be honest family.
>>
>>7684394
osamu dazai was a meme author, and had no discernible talent. He was shitposting, and is literally genre tier fiction. clearly a juvenile author.
>>
>>7693864
kek
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.