[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ulysses reading group

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (392KB, 1000x676px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
392KB, 1000x676px
Hey /lit/ I was thinking of starting a Ulysses group comparable to Infinite Summer. I was thinking of starting it the last day in February and reading a chapter a day until St. Patty's day (lol cuz Ireland). I'm starting this thread to see
1. What edition should we all uses?
2. is there an interest?
3. What are some things we can read in the meantime. I'm currently reading Portrait and will be done before the end of the month
Thanks, guys. I really hope we can tackle this book and better understand it.
>>
>>7683940
>a chapter a day

Yeah, no.
>>
I've read it a few times but I wouldn't mind going again if there was a group to follow along with. Go for it op
>>
>>7683945
Would this be too much? I know it's going to be dense regardless, but the chapters themselves can't be too much page wise, can they?
>>
>>7683950
How can you even attempt a reading club without having skimmed through the book in question? Not only are the later chapters dense, there is also an exponential increase in the lenght of the episodes, each one longer than the previous one. In any case, I would suggest that you plan a schedule that culminates in the 15 or 16 of June, so that you can celebrate Bloomsday at the same time you finish Ulysses.
>>
who else read it in one day?
>>
>>7683950
A chapter of Ulysses a day is way too much. Well actually, it depends on the chapter. You could do Telemachus and Nestor in one day because they're not that long or dense compared to the rest of the book, and some of the early bloom chapters are pretty easy too. But others will fuck your shit up if you try to read them in one day.

You'd need a schedule by someone who's familiar enough with the book to pace it properly for this to really work. Also there are way too many teenagers and teenager-esque undergrads on /lit/, and I just don't see them having the patience for a book as dense as Ulysses.
>>
>>7683950
think of 13 episodes in 900 pages, with Joyce's writing.

You can definitely count me in for the reading group, though.
I have just finished first chapter. I'll wait for the group to begin and start all over.
>>
>>7684073
>>7684018
>>7684067
900 pages? Is that with annotations and essays. I saw an edition on Amazon that has it around 450. Okay, thanks for informing me more on the chapters; it's good to know. I'll break the later ones up into two or more days depending on just how difficult I've heard they are. The first few may only get a day each, but later ones will take two or three days--maybe less if it's weekends.
I really appreciate all your feedback, guys. Any other suggestions? I already mentioned Portrait is a good one to fit in before the end of February. Maybe some of Nabokov's lectures?
>>
>>7683940
sounds nice, I haven't read it yet
>>
>>7684191
Stuart Gilbert's "James Joyce's Ulysses" is a great companion to the novel. The book of annotations ("Ulysses Annotated") is nice too.

I insist, have a look through the book first. I suggest that you divide your schedule in 18 weeks, giving a week per chapter, because, contrary to popular belief, not everyone here is a NEET who can spend three whole says reading Ulysses and complementary works. Moreover, the last week should be either the one before Bloomsday or Bloomsday's week.
>>
>>7683940
I'd be down. Bumping for interest.
Also, should there be prerequisite reading (i.e. the Odyssey)?
>>
>>7683940
>St. Patty's day (lol cuz Ireland).

Why not Bloomsday?
>>
>1. What edition should we all uses?

how about the english version
>>
>>7684233
Not as much as you'd think. I heard the one to check out is Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
>>
>>7684218
18 weeks seems like an awfully long time. Is there anybody familiar with the book who can stand by this? I was thinking no more than a two months or so.
>>
>>7683940

I'm in for sure. Definitely can't keep up with a chapter a day, but whatever you guys decide I'm in for
>>
>>7684262
I'd say like 100 pages a week, pretty sure anyone can handle like 15 pages a day and catch up easily if they miss any day.
2 months would do it.
>>
>>7684341
dud I'm no n33t I cant do 15 pages a day. that'd atke me like 3 hours. when am i gonna find puss time?
>>
I would be down to join I just need to get through the Odyssey first
>>
I would be down for a chapter a week.
>>
I'm in if this happens
>>
Alright, awesome everyone. I'll look to one or two chapters a week. We'll play it by ear. I'll post another thread in a week or so as a sort of Ulysses prep, where we can kind of brainstorm some things to look out for. I'll mine for some resources we can go over before reading. I think the most important thing to realize that the book exists to entertain us, not for us to decode it. Let yourself laugh; it's a comedy after all.
>>
>>7684439
That's a really lopsided schedule because of how the chapters are set up. You'd have to account for which ones are shorter and which ones are longer and do 2 some weeks for it to make sense.
>>
>>7684473
I'm literally excited for this. I'll happily contribute to future threads if you're too busy or forget. I think we could easily manage a chapter every 1-2 weeks. I just hope that no one is scared to discuss their unironic thoughts. I advise righting down notes as you read and then polishing them up a bit if you're insecure about your literary opinions.
>>
>>7684588
Oh ya I'm sure I'll remember how fun it might be in a month when OP returns and is "ready" to read.
>>
>>7684615
>nyeh nyey nyeh negativity nyeh
>>
>>7684588
Great to hear, man. This is going to be interesting.
>>
I'd be interested in something like that
>>
This needs to be bumped.
>>
>>7683940
>a chapter a day
wew lad
tell me you ain't reading it for the plot
>>
File: 1454865765209.jpg (48KB, 570x379px) Image search: [Google]
1454865765209.jpg
48KB, 570x379px
So, when are we starting, OP?

We could give a week to those who don't /lit/ to catch up with Portrait, but there should be at least a fixed schedule to begin with.

I mean, everyone in this board has read Odyssey and Hamlet, amirite?
>>
>>7686893
OP here. Who's in favor of getting started next Friday? We give ourselves next Friday and the weekend to read any introductory essays or lectures we can find as well as chapter one?
>>
>>7683940
>St. Patty's day

Please don't say this. It's Paddy, short for Padraig (Irish language spelling of Patrick).
>>
>>7687552
And in the US it's spelled patrick therefore it's patty. Don't forget it's mainly an Irish-American holiday.
>>
>>7687616
>mainly an Irish-American holiday

W-what? Seriously, what?
>>
I feel like ~15 pages a day is sustainable.

When would we start?

It would be nice if everybody taking part could make an effort to not be a 4chan taste nerd
>>
>>7687510

hells yea
>>
>>7687510
Sounds a bit early. I usually like to finish one book before starting another. I'm sure there are other people who do the same thing. Could we maybe have at least two weeks?
>>
>>7687616
Don’t be appropriative shits.
>>
>>7687731
Actually, I need about three.
Wait, how about five?
>>
>>7687770
I'd be good with that, but I guess a lot of it depends on everyone else.
>>
OP here. How about 3 then? I'll post another thread to genrate some more interest as well as provide whatever sources I can find. I've uploaded the free version on my Kindle as it provides a dictionary on the device. I'll get a physical copy, too. Now, the question for those of you who have read it: is there a difference in e 1922 text?
>>
>>7687896
I'm okay with waiting, what worries me is the amount of people who could forget about it.
I think week and a half should be enough for reading Portrait and Odyssey.
Perhaps some might want to read some complementary works first.

Anyways, will it be 15 pages a day on Ulysses?
>>
I've never even bothered with Joyce as I assumed he would be quite obtuse and beyond me

Reading the first few pages confirms this, how am I supposed to read Joyce? Am I simply too dull?
>>
>>7688157
Yes. Shoo!
>>
>>7688166
Well this makes me sad
What are some easier authors to get into which might aid me in my quest to understand Joyce
>>
>>7688174
Just read. This board is ruined by an understanding anxiety.
>>
Just do 20 pages a day. Let people read ahead if they like.
>>
File: DNA - DNA On DNA.jpg (68KB, 600x601px) Image search: [Google]
DNA - DNA On DNA.jpg
68KB, 600x601px
>>7688182
Ok, I've tried reading. But im just glassing over page and page without taking anything in. I'm reading beckett at the same time. Every time I pick up ulysses i'm left wondering why I'm not finishing one of becketts novels. You say "understanding anxiety" like it's alright to not understand what I'm reading. And that I shouldn't worry about it

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a guide to understanding Joyce, or if it's impossible and I simply lack the iq.
>>
So do I start reading Ulysses now and be done with the first chapter by next Friday, or do I start on next Friday?
>>
>>7688174
i recognize those no-wave sods
>>
>>7688203
>and I simply lack the iq.
What's with you guys and your IQ shit? You're dumbing yourselves down
>>
>>7689026
If it were up to the retarded OP, we wouldn't start for another two months.
>>
>>7688174
Just read Dubliners and then Portrait, and the Odyssey and you'l be fine for a first reading. Take it slow, don't worry about getting every bit of it, and hopefully you'l have a good time with it.
>>
>>7690305
This

We starting next week or what?
>>
I tried to get into Ulysses over the christmas break but failed dramatically.

I think having people who I can talk about it with would help me out. Hope this becomes a thing OP.

>Also we need to do a GR reading group sometime. I really want to go through it, section by section with others.
>>
>>7683940

I'd be down for whatever schedule. But can i find this for free?
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.