[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you think of a situation that is DFWean, Wallacean,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 6

Can you think of a situation that is DFWean, Wallacean, or Wallacesque?
>>
*WalLean
>>
>>7683835
I posted this one bit of flash fiction here in the summer about a guy killing the CEO of the Dr. Pepper Snapple group as revenge for marginalizing Mr. Pibb with Dr. Pepper. I'd post it again but I never saved it.
>>
Dee-Eff-Dubwean
>>
>>7683862
https://warosu.org/lit/thread/7255317

there it is, but the archive is offline right now. you could save that link tho, it should be back up soon (tm)
>>
>>7683844
Wal*Lean

look 4 my mixtape, yall
>>
college
>>
>>7683844
Wall-E
>>
A future where diseases become registered trademarks of the corporations who's products cause them. Preferably presented in a FIOS type scenario.
>>
Um this is going to sound stupid but I think like how... people watch tv. I mean I watch a lot of tv. Does this make any sense?
>>
>>7683912
I'd read this. Someone should write it.
>>
The man with the most drab life possible tries to dedicate their life's work to creating boring entertainment in the way of dull films, music, etc. in an attempt to bring everyone's life to his level.
>>
>>7683912
>obtain cancer
>get sued by 4chan
>>
I had to learn to teach a kids class for my last job. A 35 year old bald man pretended to be a 3 year old Asian girl throwing a temper tantrum and I had to calm him down. .

Was very wallacesque.
Is caught between needing the money, being sad, being embarrassed by the entire thing, and forced to reflect on it all but the absurdity of the situation.
>>
Some boys get into hijinks at the periphery of an international crisis; drug addicts are involved; the protagonist is verbose, and sad.
>>
A drug addict with a vast collection of carpet squares
>>
>>7684135
That sounds amazing. Not to experience, obviously, but just to hear about.
>>
Someone contemplating whether their effort should put into either the act of their suicide, or the aftermath.
>>
A guy who is that worried with his own external image that he killes himself
>>
Its new sincerity, so my entire life
>>
A man spends each year of his life working on a story about and for a girl he knew when he was 15.
>>
Things started out kinda weird, and then they started to get wacky, and then all hell broke loose, and before you know it things were flying everywhere, and there were all these ironic twists of fate, and one guy you'll never guess, and another guy woo boy, and so but then there was this one guy right like in the corner, and he wasn't doing much of anything at all, no sir, and everybody knew at that moment that there was nothing in their pretty little heads or their tiny little tummies that were digesting last night's meal's supper, that there was anything wrong with this picture, el-em-en-oh-pee.*

* And there's something terribly sad and banal about that.
>>
Trying to watch an airline television while in the extreme reclined position
>>
I listen to anything made by Red Letter Media every night so I can fall asleep. I've been doing this for 3 years... I know every bit of Mr Plinkett's reviews and I laugh everytime like it was the first time, specially with the commentary tracks.

Not a single person who knows me know anything about RLM, not even the SW reviews.

Does this work?
>>
Thousands of people spend many hours discussing hobbies on an animé image board, repeating the same shit over and over again for years.
>>
>>7684798
wew
>>
>>7683903
kek
>>
>>7684283
>mfw spent months writing and rewriting a poem about a girl I talked to twice back in high school
>>
>>7684798

Uh-huh.

Do any of you guys ever reflect on why you do it? I mean, you're entirely correct that it's repetitions of the same shit again and again. Seems like it would get very boring or unbearable pretty fast.

Why do we do it? Why aren't we busy reading the classics or learning a language?
>>
A guy who is so autistically capable of understanding the emotions of a person based on his acutely-sensitive perception of their minor facial muscle movements and changes in iris dilation and breathing patterns and so on meets a girl who he just can't read at all and is intrigued by her and eventually falls for her after finally being able to appreciate the "woman as mystery" thing which he keeps hearing about but he is so aware of how people give emotions and so on away and how embarrasing it is for them that he makes every possible effort to conceal his attraction towards her as they talk and walk around together without expression or without communicating any desire or attraction and subtly the girl says something about a guy they pass and he realizes right at the end after he and the girl have parted because of minor circumstances in routine that she had the same ability he does and was equally as scared and worried and that he knew this not through perceiving her outward expression but by seeing the guy they passed before conspicuously expressing the emotion the girl had suspected him of feeling.
>>
>>7684137
>the protagonist is verbose, and sad
This
>>
>>7685367
Thank you, I'll steal that idea
>>
>>7686754
Go ahead cuck.
>>
>>7683835

When you prattle on about absolute nonsense without taking a breath until you're about to explode.
>>
>>7685367
I've already read twilight my man.
>>
>>7684126
Kékk
>>
>>7683888
>dubwean
>gets trips
CHECKED
>>
>>7683835
Easy. Be an upper-middle-class white male who's convinced himself he's an intellectual sibling to DFW and implicitly professes ownership of all his work.
>>
File: 1424846117086.png (77KB, 445x464px) Image search: [Google]
1424846117086.png
77KB, 445x464px
Clicking the update button on a 4chan thread, forever.
>>
>>7685362
>Why aren't we busy reading the classics or learning a language?
The day has 24 hours, m8, you can do several things with your life at the same time.
>>
>>7683835

I'd say the whole Twitch thing is pretty Wallacesque, I just find the very idea of people watching other people play or watch things very unnerving.
>>
the day before I move out of my house I have a sudden memory come out of nowhere of my dad waving his dick in my face when I was 8 years old. ask him about it the next day in the car ride but he just looks at me with disgust. don't talk to my family for two years. Meet up again for my sister's birthday at an Italian restaurant and we all laugh over chicken parmesan.
>>
bumping for more Walean memes
>>
>>7683844
>>7683888
I'm not OP, but I've used 'Wallacesque' while discussing stuff with an irl friend.

So that's the actual word that comes to mind I guess. But >>7683835 mentioned the other two options because others might've also used them, while yours are absolutely crazy.
>>
>>7683912
>FIOS
>wait, what's FIOS
>about to click 'open new tab' in order to google it
>ohhh shit nvm I know
I hate /lit/.
>>
>>7688521
Isn't this in Brief Interviews?
>>
My diary desu
>>
>>7683835
I've just realized that no, I can't [1].
And there's something terribly sad [2] and banal about it.

[1] Can't is the opposite of can. It expresses an impossibility, like playing tennis while sleeping.
[2] Sadness is the opposite of happiness, like remembering you can't anally fist yourself with your tennis racquet.
>>
File: feels-guy.jpg (40KB, 300x310px) Image search: [Google]
feels-guy.jpg
40KB, 300x310px
>>7688044
nice gets
>>
>>7689735
Doubles are literally and exactly 10% of all posts.
>>
Davesque Fosterian Wallacisms
>>
>>7683835
Tolstean Gogolisms
>>
File: 02 - uEM2TFU.jpg (168KB, 952x574px) Image search: [Google]
02 - uEM2TFU.jpg
168KB, 952x574px
>>7689704

Good one bro
>>
I was licking sweat off people's bodies in the locker room today.
>>
>>7689824
What sort of wisdom did you share with them?
>>
>>7683835
something involving a lobster struggling with a lifetime spent on a tightrope between irony and sincerity before he's sadly and banally cooked
>>
>>7689704
>playing tennis while sleeping
you CAN do this though mr wallace. I'm going to need a revision sir
>>
His life was the most Wallacesque situation imaginable. I mean the whole circumstances of him committing suicide midway through writing the pale king is exactly the sort of thing he would write about.
>>
>>7689429
what is it
>>
That's easy. See my life: November 1977 to today.
>>
>>7683835
I'm joining the tennis team
>>
I had a female friend from a very rich family and jokingly thought to myself that she's the most american person I know (I'm from eastern Europe). So after a few irony-saturated self-conscious jokes regarding her cinema addiction, need for attention etc, (I also had the feel that DFW would've been disappointed with my sense of humour) one day I thought that she'd fit as the only person around to eventually pick up tennis classes. Needless to say, the next day she came up to me and said how her parents signed her up for tennis.

...and she dropped the following month because she couldn't keep up with TV serie releases and other stuff because of it.
>>
File: RARE dfw.jpg (53KB, 500x331px) Image search: [Google]
RARE dfw.jpg
53KB, 500x331px
>>7692189
>A fellow of infinite jest
>>
>>7692798

Is that Zizek's wife (or ex-wife, not sure) in front?
>>
File: karen-005.jpg (22KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
karen-005.jpg
22KB, 460x276px
>>7692805

DFWs wife, Karen Green
>>
>>7692798
on pictures dfw always looks so cozy

it's like it's a warm summer evening everywhere he goes
>>
>>7683835
/lit/

Then I leave it.
>>
>>7685362
-using 100% of your time effectively is impossible
-I get my reading suggestions from here
-interesting discussions do spring up here from time to time about works I have read
Idk desu, it's a time killer
>>
>>7683835
Going to the library and finding carrels occupied by people who are watching TV shows on their laptops. Being unable to escape the sound of audience laughter.
>>
>>7683835

Trying to impress the literary establishment with a cynically and sarcastically formulated novel full of shallow academic references, even telling everyone it's a joke in the title, and getting depressed when it actually works and everyone treats you like a god.
>>
Wallesque
>>
klomp :DD
>>
I was going to say my life, but that's already been posted in this thread. Isn't that Wallace-esque?
>>
>>7683835
I watched a bunch of MASH for a while.
>>
>>7694849
maybe?
>>
>DFWean
Applying for a retarded child care job at your local recreation center.

>Wallacean
Applying for a retarded child care job at your local recreation center and having, like, an itchy ass crack from the bad wiping of 1-ply toilet paper and the smell of urinal cakes and the last dribble of brandless dispenser soap stuck in your nose and the smooth sax in the waiting room giving you a dull headache.

>Wallacesque
Applying for a computer repair job and having like, a bad resume with only "English Degree" and "Landscaping" on it without any real sources or references and but so you know you really don't stand a chance to be hired but you sit and wait while the old Jewish man behind the desk reads it his face turning more and more into a grimace as he works down the page and like you just have to sit there and wait it out.
>>
>>7683835
this thread
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.