[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would you read a reworking of the Iliad set in the 22nd Century?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 220px-Statue_of_Paris.jpg (24KB, 220x410px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Statue_of_Paris.jpg
24KB, 220x410px
Would you read a reworking of the Iliad set in the 22nd Century?
>>
No because the Iliad is based on the honour and customs of warfare, and warfare will not exist by that time. We're already moving to drones and remote warfare, give it another 100 years and we'll just be exploding heads with radiation.
>>
>>7683024
I'm actually aware of that and the way it would work would be that a general loss of purpose and direction due to the banality of 22nd Century life would lead to small groups of people embracing anachronisms including outdated modes of combat in small-scale conflicts that ultimately mean nothing on a statewide, national, or global scale.
>>
It would have to be a post-apocalyptic kind of scenario where human warfare has been reduced to sword fighting or basic firearms.
>>
>>7682958
it depends. is it a well written, well plotted, well developed, creative reinterpretation with interesting, believable characters? or is it a morass of cliches, forced dialogue and tepid caricatures just attempting to capitalize off established and respected source material?
>>
>>7683047
Then brilliant, I would. Have homeric characters in a meaningless conflict sounds interesting.
>>
>>7682958
>>7683047
its time to go to bed John Dolan
>>
>>7682958
I might. Depends on the overall quality.
>>
I it was well executed, yes
But that's not going to happen
>>
Id read anything if its written well
>>
Ulysses 2: electric boogaloo
>>
Would you read a reworking of the Odyssey set in early 20th century Ireland?
>>
>>7683047
I'm wary of any non-ancient epic poetry. Ever heard of the Hermead? I've never read it and must admit I'm curious about it, but at the same time I have a sneaking suspicion that it's utter shit.

Also, what is your experience with epic poetry? Unless you're copying the Iliad word for word, you'll probably want a stronger background in the medium. Toohey's "Reading Epic" tracks the development of the genre from Homer through Rome. I haven't read it yet, but the table of contents alone introduced me to about a dozen minor epics that I had never heard of before.

Also useful would be perusing the Loeb wiki page for poets in Greek and Latin; I know there are at least 3 epic poets not mentioned by Toohey writing in Greek in the ~4th century AD. Some small epics, but also the Dionysiaca, which is about 50% longer than either Homeric epic on its own.

And depending on how heavily you intend to lean on epic tradition, you may even want to immerse yourself in the ancients. Primary source history, ancient drama, philosophy, non-epic poetry, etc. IMO that seems like it would be necessary to not create an epic that totally sucks, but it really depends on what you're actually planning to write.
>>
>>7683495
Chuckled
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.