[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Name of the Rose

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (28KB, 133x200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28KB, 133x200px
Is The Name of the Rose a book that I can just begin reading with no trouble understanding? I know nothing about semiotics, and was just wondering if I need a crash course before reading.
>>
Nope. One of the best-sellers of Modern lit dude, you think all these plebs would know anything about Semiotics?
>>
>>7681100
I'd say you need a solid background on medieval history and scholasticism more than semiotics. Despite some esoteric elements this is definitely a very accessible detective story.
>>
Started reading it a bit ago, and find it very enjoyable so far, and am learning a few things. It can be a bit heavy on theological history, but nothing too bad.
>>
>>7681100

It's written for a general audience. Just read and enjoy and don't worry about catching the more arcane stuff. You're not writing a dissertation on it.
>>
No trouble? No.
But read it anyway. Eco himself was pleased that plebs read it, and emphasized how reading it as a pleb brings different views.
>>
File: image.jpg (106KB, 800x635px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
106KB, 800x635px
>>7681268
Is he also thrilled by those who choose to misread it?
>>
>>7681330
Probably. He seems to like the idea of literary errors and misinterpretation. Wrote a whole book about it.
>>
Before you start, get "key to the name of the rose. ". Gives background to the characters and tranbkslations of Latin and french passages. Best book ever with "key" as backup.
>>
>>7682915
what a fucking pleb
no really, do you need a companion book to a narrative book?

OP everything you need to know is already in the name of the rose, and if it's not clear a second read will not hurt nobody
>>
>>7682915
This looks interesting but seems that it just provides background info which isn't necessary to digest the actual story.

I'm not OP but I think I'm just going to jump into my first Eco book.
>>
I found that basic knowledge of the Bible, religion (iconoclasticism, for example) and history was enough for it to be a very enjoyable read. Obviously, there was a fuckload of things that I missed out, but even then the book was enjoyable. Make sure you'll buy an edition which translates the Latin phrases.
>>
>>7681100
it's one of the worst books ever written
he's italian dan brown

>hurr did jesus laugh
>he dreams he enters a giant vagina xd

there's also repeated references to new world plants e.g. pumpkins that would not have been present at the time in europe.
>>
I'm halfway through this and I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of the number symbology (the description of the architecture, mostly) but I also don't know much about Christianity which it is probably a reference to.
>>
>>7683364
Your a tard
>>
>>7683364
>there's also repeated references to new world plants e.g. pumpkins that would not have been present at the time in europe.

thank you cornfather
>>
>>7683364
What? A fictional book that isnt factually accurate?

Burn the heretic!
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.