[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/lit/ how do you feel about Peter Singer? Do you think that a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: _20160209_122702.jpg (104KB, 1080x792px) Image search: [Google]
_20160209_122702.jpg
104KB, 1080x792px
/lit/ how do you feel about Peter Singer? Do you think that a life of luxury and excess is morally reprehensible? And do we have an obligation to others?
>>
I don't see how that follows.
>>
That isn't in my best interest

It will only be in my best interest if the pleasure of feeling that I've done something good outweighs the displeasure of giving something away
>>
>>7679466

What arguments does he have against egoism?

The idea that morality is egoistic, that in behaving morally we are just actualizing ourselves. "What is moral" is ultimately a different question to different persons, semantic interpretations aside.
>>
Well its people like him that make me see why Nietzsche is such an upsetting figure in philosophy. Almost completely contradictory to what his philosophy.
>>
OP here, he's an analytical philosopher

One thing to d question is what he defines are "morally insignificant" items?

And to what duty do we owe our time, money, effort to other people? Realistically this is completely time wasting what we're doing here, and his philosophy implicates us all if we so choose not to use this time to do something to prevent pointless death
>>
>>7679471
But you've never done anything remotely close to what Singer is arguing for, hence you don't know and cannot reasonably claim that it will not outweigh the displeasure of giving your, say, money away. Try it first, and only then shitpost.

And assuming you do act according to this maxim, do you have a private fMRI machine that you use to measure the degree of your (dis)pleasures?
>>
Singer's only purpose is to show how dumb utilitarianism is
>>
Utilitarianism is retarded. Read Hume and Nietzsche.
>>
Also just so you realize how pathetic Singer is: in order to shoehorn support for abortion into his system, he has decreed that _every_ human life results in a net decrease of utility.
>>
You're posting on a board that worships Nietzsche. What are you expecting?
>>
>>7679689
Read Hume, then Kant, the Nietzsche

Hes a vital joint in the real ethical nigga trifecta.
>>
>>7679475
That Cultural relativism / individual relativism isnt even morality, it confuses customs/desires with actual moral notions and side steps ethics entirely.

Read Kant on why necessity, universaility and apodictity is essential to our understanding of morality.
>>
File: 1441217967702.gif (1MB, 258x193px) Image search: [Google]
1441217967702.gif
1MB, 258x193px
>>7679466

>moral obligation
>>
If capitalism never happened we wouldn't be having of those problems. Charity sucks, solidarity is something else entirely.
>>
>>7680004
If capitalism never happened you would be working you feudal lord's estates.
>>
>Utilitarianism
Jesus, even fucking Socrates blasted this out of the water.
Read Kohlbergs ideas on the stages of moral growth. Utility and natural right law are both imcomplete compared to 2nd order Golden Rule or the CI
>>
>>7680001
Its like a blind man laughing at people who talk about "color"
>>
>>7680012
typical capitalist hypnotic thinking, because you can't think of alternatives we would be living in medieval times, right? suck my dick
>>
>>7679466
I think he's completely right. Don't actually do it tho.
>>
File: 015.png (139KB, 680x308px) Image search: [Google]
015.png
139KB, 680x308px
>>7679514
>do you have a private fMRI machine
He said, arguing in favor of a particular brand of utilitarian ethics...?
>>
File: max.jpg (11KB, 190x200px) Image search: [Google]
max.jpg
11KB, 190x200px
>>7679466
>morality
Argument disregarded.
>>
>>7680020
>"color"

Color is a totally subjective experience. We may describe it with science, but the full force of it remains only an internal thing.
>>
>>7679466
Every utilitarian ethic system is bound to be junk and Sanger is probably the worst one that I know of.
>>
I have nothing to contribute to this thread other than this: I met a philosophy grad student at princeton, asked her if she'd ever run into Singer. She told me he's pretty much absent from the philosophy department and hangs out with humanities instead. Go figure.
>>
>>7680079
That sounds almost sad
>>
>>7680079
They've outsted his works as philosophically bankrupt and the only place he can hoodwink dumbasses is humanities, home of the last vestige of other garbage like Freud and Marx.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.