[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /lit/ so my gf and I are going to spend the spring on a farm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 41GH18jksDL._SL500_.jpg (26KB, 325x500px) Image search: [Google]
41GH18jksDL._SL500_.jpg
26KB, 325x500px
Hey /lit/ so my gf and I are going to spend the spring on a farm working as assistants. The set up only requires 4 hours of labor a day in exchange for room and board. We are both bookish so what do you suggest that I bring along to read on my off time. I'm definitely bringing pic related. Would appreciate thematically or stylistically relevant suggestions.
>>
>>7679385
>my gf and I
>>
>>7679391
Wait is that not correct? I am hopeless with grammar.
>>
Anne Karenina for those sweet farming scenes
maybe some Steinbeck like East of Eden
Walt Whitman's poems are pretty good
maybe Thomas Hardy or Henry James
>>
>>7679418
Ah yeah Anna Karenina is definitely going on the list. Also maybe i should try Walt Whitman again? I didn't like it in h.s. but then again I have changed.
>>
>>7679385
How to suicide
>>
>>7679449
I don't get it? I'm asking for literature recommendations on a literature board.
>>
The Adventures of Augie March
>>
>>7679505
thanks anon! i had to look it up, which is nice. not to say i have an exhaustive knowledge of literature but i have read a lot of the classics and i am always looking for more. contemporary literature generally leaves me feeling flat. dat lack of ethos.
>>
Pedro Páramo, by Juan Rulfo
>>
I did literally exactly this.

A few points:
- there's a good chance it'll end up being more than 4 hours a day, just because when any employer (and yes I know the whole woofing thing is phrased as some sorta alternative lifestyle peace core-ish thing - they're just employers all the same) say you're only going to work x hours, add anywhere from a half hour to 2 hours onto that
- if you've never worked 4+ hours a day of hard physical labor for days on end, you're going to be amazed at how tiring it actually is. You won't want to read.
- there's a good chance this will turn your relationship into a nightmare. You'll probably have a very hard time getting meaningful alone time, so unless you're okay not only living with her but also working with her, this can get ugly. Imagine having a fight, and then having to do hard labor with that person while your feelings are still hurt - if that's not obviously unpleasant then I don't know what is.

Not saying I'm not projecting but I met a few woofing people and that's how it worked for a lot of them.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.