[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just finished reading pic related, what does /lit/ think of it,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

Just finished reading pic related, what does /lit/ think of it, high school tier or literary cannon?
>>
Meme shit
>>
File: checkum.jpg (270KB, 658x800px) Image search: [Google]
checkum.jpg
270KB, 658x800px
>>7677777
>>
File: 1452776629678.webm (1MB, 959x720px) Image search: [Google]
1452776629678.webm
1MB, 959x720px
>>7677777
Catcher in the Meme confirmed as shit
>>
Works only because it's old.
>>
>>7677775

Brit here, it is canon.

Ruined by high school readers.
>>
File: SeptemContraPhoebas.jpg (1MB, 1681x2410px) Image search: [Google]
SeptemContraPhoebas.jpg
1MB, 1681x2410px
>>7677775
>cannon
It's a well-crafted and subtle story about sexual abuse and incest. This flies over most peoples' heads however so you just hear an endless chorus of
>lol why was holden so whiney this book sux b/c I can't relate to the protagonist
>>
>>7677853
Holden was sexually abused as a child, not his sister. Nothing fucking happens to Phoebe
>>
>>7677873
>rape
>'nothing'
Ok.
>>
>>7677873
>I'm a pleb who can't into basic exegesis: the post
>>
>>7677876
I got bad news: Salinger wasn't that smart
>>
>>7677916
Come on, there are better arguments than that.
For example: there is no strong textual evidence that suggest Phoebe is raped. Holden, potentially, but Phoebe you have to "infer" far off the of the page to reach the conclusion.
>>
>>7677961
I picked up on the sexual abuse that Holden received potentially, but not Phoebe
>>
what does "Catcher in the Rye" mean anyway?
>>
>>7677991
It's because Bob Uecker was a catcher
>>
File: 1439010418324.png (5KB, 284x339px) Image search: [Google]
1439010418324.png
5KB, 284x339px
>tfw no matter how hard you try the evil side of the world will find its way to your precious little ward
>>
>>7677853
>It's a well-crafted and subtle story about sexual abuse and incest.
Can you explain this further or do you have any links that do so? I've seen this posted a lot around here and though I read the book a long time ago I can't remember any of this besides the one scene with the guy who strokes Holden's head while he sleeps, or something.
>>
>>7677991
The main character explains it in the book guy
>>
>>7677991
He catches kids that are about to fall off of a cliff that happens to have a Rye field.

He then rapes the kids like he raped Phoebe, his sister.
>>
Read it in high school and loved it for the quality of the prose. That's not to say it was good, but it was a refreshing change from the norm.

Read it again in undergrad, and I better appreciated the themes of sexual abuse, rape, and mental illness.

It's a decent novel. I would say it's canon.
>>
>>7678052
It's a meme, you dip
>>
>>7678115
>decent
>canon
>>
>>7677876
>exegesis
What's the Bible got to do with Catcher in the Rye?
>>
>>7678115
>read it as an undergrad
>suddenly TCitR is about rape and sexual abuse

you triggered all my keks
>>
fuck the haters
holden didn't rape phoebe
it's a great book and certainly better than anything anyone on lit has ever written and it's a great story.
Holden may have been abused as a child.
>>
It is a masterpiece that is absolutely wasted on being read by 16 year olds.
>>
>>7679087
I don't even think he was "abused" i think he just had a perverted teacher/mentor and i think he realized it...in fact i think Holden represents how generally the young are not unaware of all the filth that the old are up to, i think that is what Salinger was trying to expose.
>>
Holden rapes his sister, Phoebe
>>
>>7679114
>puritans reading the only good person in the novel as 'old filth'
>>
>>7679118
are you fucking kidding me? you better green text some excerpts or something or else you are just listening too hard in ENG 111
>>
>>7679131
Page 136
>I raped my sister phoebe once. I really did.
>>
>>7679087
/thread
>>
>>7679121
>old touchy creep detected
>>>>/mlp/
>>
>>7679141
>this faggot thinks /lit/ wasn't created for me to extol my love for boipuss
>>
>>7677777
Nice quints.
>>
>>7678115

Congratulations. You somehow made yourself less intelligent between high school and undergrad. How does it feel knowing that you're actually regressing in terms of literary analysis?
>>
>>7678098
which is holden's misinterpretation of a poem about ... nonconsensual sex
>>
>>7679336
his poem is about being a catcher to the men he's attracted to: specifically stradlater, whom he straddles shirtless and mr. antolini, whose gentle caresses expose his latent flitiness and causes him to lash out. it's only at the end when he gets sexy with his kid sister, phoebe can he come to terms with his phoniness.
>>
Both, I'd say. Still his worst book.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.