[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /lit/ think of Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (24KB, 292x425px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24KB, 292x425px
What does /lit/ think of Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality?
>>
It doesn't.
>>
It's great. /lit/ talks about it a lot. Seems to be held in high regard here.
>>
I've heard a guy talk about if and its kind of sci fi blended with HP?
Sounds utterly uninteresting.
>>
Autism.
>>
It's ok, bit too pretentious though. Loads of autism from every character, even Voldemort.
>>
The author is an arrogant, delusional jerk. However, it was fun in places, especially at the beginning.
>>
An enjoyable read, although a bit pretentious, and the prose is bland. It's quite the Mary Sue story - and that's part of the attraction.
>>
>>7677398
Started out fun and interesting--honestly a pretty good example of a power fantasy/"Mary Sue" done right--but got bogged down by the author's lack of planning and increasingly strident preaching.
>>
>>7677505
>>7677791
Could someone explain the "autism" meme to me in this context. I haven't read the book, but does it have to do with applying pseudo-academic frameworks to things that most people consider unacademic?

Because I do that a lot.
>>
>>7677505
>>7677791
Go away /b/abby's and finish reading your first big boy book before you start /le/ discourses here
>>
It was interseting in the begining where it approached the HP with a scientific view. But then the author makes several characters mouth pieces for his own opinions. While that isn't unheard of he does it so blatantly that it takes away enjoyment from the series. I started reading it because since HP sounded cool not to read the ramblings of a clever man who can't even come up with arguments against himself.
>>
File: 1428506918976.jpg (126KB, 527x614px) Image search: [Google]
1428506918976.jpg
126KB, 527x614px
>2000 pages of harry potter fanfic
>>
Trash written by an insufferable autodidact with zero academic credentials. No one takes his drivel seriously and nor should you. He has built a community centred around vague and speculative ideas which has grown into a deifying A.I. and transhumanism cult. It's an ideal environment for delusional autodidacts that obsess and romanticize about the concept of rationality. It's a tiny bit more sophisticated version of /sci/, but still utterly and hilariously a shit place to be in.
>>
>>7677398
Literal autism.
>>
the author's worldview or whatever he's selling is utter nonsense
>>
I enjoyed the review series at http://su3su2u1.tumblr.com/tagged/Hariezer-Yudotter/chrono
>>
>>7677467
underrated
>>
>>7678385
Just go read the first chapter, then you'll know.
>>
Just STEM my shit up.
>>
>>7681137
>Harry approaches magic scientifically and rationally
>this is somehow autistic
>>
>>7677398
I've never even heard of it, but without even looking up anything about it, I bet the main character is a smug twat.
>>
>>7681325
>I didn't pay attention to how the character acted
You're right, just approaching magic like that isn't autistic itself. Everything he does in going about it is.
>>
Was fun at the start when Harry was trying to figure out how magic works. Then that angle was dropped and it became shit.
>>
>>7677398
Horrid, horrid, horrid. The fact that it's held by fans as the gold standard of fanfiction as a medium proves the inherent trashiness of the genre. It makes the original Harry Potter, not exactly a masterly series itself, seem like a zenith of the written word.

The entire affair is the worst kind of self-insert drivel, and its version of Harry is the worst kind of do-no-wrong holier-than-thou mouthpiece for the author's personal, banal opinions on everything from physics to politics. It's akin to an Internet webcomic, where the writer's insert is the precocious always-right enlightened figure surrounded by strawmen caricatures that only exist to enforce how right the main character (and by extension the writer) is.

All thematics and psychological profiling aside, the author clearly doesn't know how to write children characters. They all speak like PhD students who spend too much time on the Internet, which is a huge problem because the main cast are all 11-year olds. Reading a multiple paragraph long treatise on the educational system coming from a literal child that contains the author's "enlightened" opinions is a special kind of torture.

Just horrid.
>>
>>7682098
but from how you've described it it sorta sounds fun
>>
Having looked it up it turns out it's written by Eliezer Yudkowsky. This speaks volumes why it gets such a mixed reaction on here, because /lit/ gets infamously vexed over intelligent people.

I don't mind the whole rationality thing but I'm still not sure fanfic is my cup of tea.

To anyone who's read it: is it actually educational? Say, on rationality and other topics. I've read a few things Yudkowsky has written and I've found them useful.
>>
>>7682715
There's some metaphors and fun little tidbits that have some educational value, but I wouldn't consider 'learning' as a reason to read it.

It's not nearly as fantastic or horrid as polarized anons will claim, but it's worth a read. Worst case scenario you waste a bit of time reading a couple of chapters.
>>
>>7677398
It's pretty good apart from the fact that Harry is a terrible annoying character but without him being a super autist the rest of the characters wouldn't act how they do.

not worth reading all that shit desu
>>
>>7677398
It's awful
>>
File: eliezer is pathetic.png (46KB, 490x573px) Image search: [Google]
eliezer is pathetic.png
46KB, 490x573px
>>7682715
>because /lit/ gets infamously vexed over intelligent people.

he knows math, sure, but the guy is a literal autist. That would be fine, but you know the guy is an insufferable sack of shit.
>>
>>7682965
This isn't an intelligent man, this is a complete moron attempting to ape intelligence.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.