[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some quotes/verse that every cultivated English speaker

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: The_Raven.jpg (66KB, 445x500px) Image search: [Google]
The_Raven.jpg
66KB, 445x500px
What are some quotes/verse that every cultivated English speaker knows ?
I was thinking of things such as simple as "nevermore" in The Raven.
>>
it was the worst of times, it was the best of times, ...
i am become death
to be or not to be
>>
Arse full of farts
>>
>>7675955
Do you think the archangel Gabriel
thinks anything the less of me, because I promptly and
respectfully obey that old hunks in that particular instance?
Who ain’t a slave? Tell me that
>>
>>7675955
To be or not to be
>>
>>7676114
painfully obscure for a mass audience

call me ishmael is what most people remember/know in passing/can identify from the book
>>
>>7676143
>mass audience
>cultivated
what are you asking for?
>>
File: 1454096695512.png (3MB, 2560x2739px) Image search: [Google]
1454096695512.png
3MB, 2560x2739px
>>7675955
The Lord's Prayer and John 3:16, despite originating in another language. People at least know one or the other.
>>
>>7676149
well, cultivated is a pretty vague bar, i just went with the example given in the OP as the level of mass penetration he's looking for.

nevermore is a few magnitudes more well known than the moby dick passage
>>
Then it don’ matter. Then I’ll be all aroun’ in the dark. I’ll be ever’where — wherever you look. Wherever they’s a fight so hungry people can eat, I’ll be there. Wherever they’s a cop beatin’ up a guy, I’ll be there. If Casy knowed, why, I’ll be in the way guys yell when they’re mad an’ — I’ll be in the way kids laugh when they’re hungry an’ they know supper’s ready. An’ when our folks eat the stuff they raise an’ live in the houses they build — why, I’ll be there. See?
>>
Cry "havoc" and let slip the dogs of war
I bet no one does actually
Et tu, Brute?
Fug, it's latin
it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God
I bet most didn't even read that book
The fresh prince lyrics?
>>
Some bits from In Memoriam AHH:

I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

and

Who trusted God was love indeed
And love Creation's final law—
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and claw
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed—
>>
"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day."

I guess mostly just the "band of brothers" line but nevertheless the entire St Crispin's day speech is GOAT
>>
Behind him, across vast distances of space and time, from the place he had left, he thought he heard music too. But perhaps it was only an echo.
>>
>>7677025
i remember this from the red and the black
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.