[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>have a friend in the publishing business >write in as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: faulkner.jpg (64KB, 948x711px) Image search: [Google]
faulkner.jpg
64KB, 948x711px
>have a friend in the publishing business
>write in as obtuse and opaque a manner as fucking possible, going so far as to write 1/4 of your most famous novel from the POV of a retard
>have no idea how to work with plot, nor how to limit yourself only to bringing characters that are relevant at all into your stories

>become one of America's classic authors

Why is this literal cuck (raised kids that weren't his) so goddamn beloved? He couldn't write a sensible, concise story if his paycheck depended on it. Just throw in hordes of characters, make sure your shit is utterly impossible to understand, and behold as up-their-own-ass intellectuals stumble over themselves to grant your trash some deeper meaning.
>>
his short stories were good

for some reason authors always feel like they need to go full retard when it comes to novels.
>>
Bad bait. Get this shit out of here
>>
It's pure aesthetics. Faulkner's writing is beautiful, and beauty gets you pretty far.
>>
If you didn't give up a quarter of the way through the sound and the fury you'd know that the jason and dilsey chapters are a lot more direct and that the quentin and benjy were unique for their perception of time, not hurr durr mental illnesses
>>
nice opinions
>>
>>7673271
>Are you a pseudo-intellectual faggot locked high in the ivory towers of academia? Is your head shoved so far up your ass that you can taste your professors' cocks? Is your opinion formed solely from what you are told in class?
>Just call a dissenting opinion "bait" and continue on! No defense needed! It's that simple!
>>
>>7673300
Yeah well I like faulker

*unsheathes katana*
>>
File: laughignferrets.jpg (13KB, 438x353px) Image search: [Google]
laughignferrets.jpg
13KB, 438x353px
>>7673255
>>7673260
>These are the types of people who bash the classics
>>
>>7673316
its no secret that novels are mostly hulking shits that can be condensed if anyone gave a damn. Even Borges said as much.
>>
>>7673255
>a sensible, concise story

You do realize that no one really gave a shit about these things until publishing started to turn into a big business in the later half of the 20th century, right?

Most of the things that are currently taught in writing classes about what is or isn't "good writing" come from mass-media entertainment based sensibilities. Books weren't always meant to be easily digestible shit for plebs.
>>
>>7673343
>Even Borges said as much

What do you mean by "even"? Borges was famous for saying that, which is why he wrote mostly short stories. (also because he was blind)
>>
>>7673310
*projects urine on you mom*
>>
File: Big Shakem.jpg (295KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Big Shakem.jpg
295KB, 1200x1200px
>>7673371
>Books weren't always meant to be easily digestible shit for plebs.
So why are all the best stories so simple, effective, and economic in their plots and diction?

The "Big hulking magnum opus" is a modern meme that probably wont last much longer.
>>
>>7673415
You think they're the best because you're a pleb. Most people will agree with you because they're plebs too. It's that simple.
>>
>>7673255
i tried to like faulkner but after the twentieth sentence that goes on for more than six pages, i was done.
>>
>>7673371
if you knew anything, you'd know that it's mass media that actively encourages long, drolling plots that continue endlessly so long as someone watches it.
>>
>>7673255
>Why is this literal cuck
I can't imagine that anyone who unironically uses "cuck" in this manner has anything intelligent to say.
So, I'm just gonna call bait and move on
>>
>>7673425
So does the publishing industry when it comes to books for adults who read, familiga. Writing classes stress being concise because paying attention to a book or story is harder than just staring at a TV screen.
>>
>>7673436
Not being concise more often than not means dont even know what the fuck you're trying to say. You can still have good prose while being concise and expressing clear thought.
>>
The Benjy section was great. If you thought about before quickly dismissing it you'd have a firm grasp of what was happening, it's difficulty is overstated, the skill with which he writes is not.
>>
>>7673451
Only if you're talking about a hack like Stephen King or GRRM or some shit.
>>
>>7673255
>cuck

seriously if you want to be taken seriously don't say that. It just makes everyone picture you as haranguing your reddit pals with tales of the friendzone while beating off to Sam Harris. Stop.
>>
>>7673436
Writing classes focus on journalism and professional writing, not creative writing.
>>
>>7673489
This guy has never taken a creative writing class in his life.
>>
>>7673492
The creative writing class at your community college doesn't count.
>>
You guys know Faulkner wrote screenplays, right? In the 30s and 40s, when the studio system was still in full swing. One of them was even the adaption of The Big Sleep, by fucking Raymond Chandler. Claiming he couldn't write a sensible concise story is ridiculous.
>>
>>7673494
yeah because there aren't poetry and fiction seminars held every summer at Iowa. get a grip man, it's practically an American tradition for semi-literate, semi-professional, talentless wannabes to throw their money and best efforts at the big writing schools. the MFA, a distinct but similar entity, is practically the entry point for professional writing (notice I didn't say good writing).
>>
>>7673255

Decent bait.

You caught a few.
>>
>>7673537
Three people are credited for that damn screenplay but all they did for most of the movie was just transplant Chandler's dialogue over. Exactly why it took three of them, I have no idea.

It's also not a great example of "sensible concise story". While Chandler wraps up most of the story (bar the chauffeur), the sections that the movie changes the most leave the whole thing impenetrable.
>>
As an anon said above, read his short stories.
>>
File: a.jpg (456KB, 1439x2244px) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
456KB, 1439x2244px
>>7673415
I think a lot of the hybrids will last
>>
>>7673778

The Big Sleep is one of my favorite books, and while I enjoy the film as well, it's certainly true that the screenplay made the plot difficult to understand. I watched the movie with my girlfriend who hasn't read the book, while thinking the whole time "there's no way she has any idea what's going on; if i didn't read the book, I wouldn't, either". I'm not trying to place myself on either side of the argument, but the screenplay for Tye Big Sleep is a bad example. It's plot is made incomprehensible (which honestly doesn't affect the quality of the movie at all, in my opinion; both the film and book are more about having an intriguing atmospheres be mood, good set pieces and scenarios, and God-tier dialogue))
>>
>>7673415
>all the best stories
That's a pretty ballsy generalisation my dude.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.