[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I only like to read when it's fiction (nonfiction bores

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: 1452035381253.png (53KB, 240x232px) Image search: [Google]
1452035381253.png
53KB, 240x232px
I only like to read when it's fiction (nonfiction bores me). Fantasy and Sci-Fi are my go-to genres. So, lately I've been told by the 80-year-old lady that I'm working for that the genres I read are junk and not very good for (brain) stimulation. She wants me to read classics because, in her opinion, they're better than the mindless things I fill my head with.

What's your opinion on this?
>>
Whats your opinion on it
>>
Sounds like a patrician called you out for being a pleb. Still, be a pleb if you want. Just don't muck up the board with Sanderson/Pratchett/Martin threads. Read whatever you want m8
>>
>>7672860
That I enjoy the books I read and I still learn lots of new things from them
>>
>>7672856
Start with the Greeks.
>>
>>7672856

Give her slaughterhouse 5 (science fiction) see what she thinks then.
>>
>>7672856
Tell her this:
https://www.brainpickings.org/2014/03/14/einstein-fairy-tales/
>>
read
>True History, Lucian
It's originally in Greek but it's sci-fi about philosophers going to the moon. It's Pratchett before Pratchett.
>Lysistrata, Aristophanes
It's a play, but with snappy enough dialogue you won't mind it's a play. It's about how women withholding sex in an argument is stronger than a war machine.
>The Golden Ass, Apuleius
This is fantasy again, and filthy. By this stage she'll know you're trolling her, so even if you're not enjoying the hilarious books so far, make sure you read the next one as a concession that you will stop reading fiction and start reading non-fiction.
>The Satyricon, Petronius
It's about Roman life and its constant cuckoldry.
>>
Stupid frog poster
>>
>>7672856
You can read what you want, but it doesn't hurt to branch out. There's a possibility you might enjoy stuff you didn't think you would have.
>>
>>7674730
tldr: Einstein said the best way to make your kids smarter was to read them as many fairy tales as you could.
>>
None of this is true
>>
>frogposter with a shit opinion
Typical
>>
She's right
>>
>>7672856
She's right, and she's also wrong.
There is a lot of hate on this board towards genre's, but sci-fi is such a broad genre, same with Fantasy.
Neither are inherently dumb-founding, but the classics do out weigh the genre's for good writing.
But to say that the classics are more stimulating for your brain? Top kek m8.
Sci-fi's are the most philosophical fiction books around, a good science fiction book outweighs a good classic in terms of stimulating (opening) your mind.
>>
>>7675093
>Sci-fi's are the most philosophical fiction books around, a good science fiction book outweighs a good classic in terms of stimulating (opening) your mind.
please, give some specific examples so i can tell you how wrong you are
>>
>>7672856
fuck off, frog fuck
>>
>>7674789
OP's probably not a child though.
>>
>>7675165
i don't that's a safe assumption to make on 4chan
>>
>>7674789
You don't give a child something complex, not because it isn't good to eventually learn, but because they are not yet at the point where they can learn it.

If OP doesn't feel the need for something more after reading nothing but genre fiction, he isn't ready to move on.
>>
She's right that 'the classics' tend to be more intellectually stimulating than genre fiction, but of course there are exceptions to this. Even Harold Bloom praises certain works of sci-fi and fantasy.

I'd say it's worth trying out some of the classics, but if it's not your thing don't force yourself. Just read what you get the most out of.
>>
>>7672856

If you read nothing but your favorites, she is right. But I don't get people who try to discredit some genres as trash. Different strokes for different folks, and different tastes for different cravings. I'll watch a blockbuster explosion fest if I'm in the mood for it.

Read the stuff you like but try new ones. Alternate or do a two to one, whatever. But you're probably due to grab a classic you haven't read. Never hurts to expand!
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.