[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone recommend a literary magazine that publishes a fair

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: lrb.jpg (45KB, 380x253px) Image search: [Google]
lrb.jpg
45KB, 380x253px
Can someone recommend a literary magazine that publishes a fair amount of new (interesting) material - short stories, poetry, whatever. I'm not interested in submitting anything, just interested in reading new short-form stuff regularly.

pic slightly related I guess
>>
The only lit mag I subscribe to is NYRB but they aren't really focused on publishing fiction/poetry as much as I gather you are looking for. I'd look into academic publications like Ploughshares.
>>
Tin House is a big one. I'm not too familiar with it, but a lot of my friends are obsessed with it. It's highly respected in the literary community.
>>
Poetry Chicago and McSweeny are decent i think.
>>
Can we not let this thread die so quickly?
I'm really interested myself.
>>
>>7673148
I sent some poems that are about jerking off but thinly veiled as seasonal mood pieces to them. What do you think my chances of getting published are, senpai?

It was just a joke though so I don't mind if they reject them.
>>
>>7673208

I couldn't say honestly, but that is pretty funny. From I do know, it's really hard to get published by them. They don't really publish unsolicited work from what I've heard. Hell though, they're into experimental weird shit, so maybe you won't be too far off.
>>
>>7673232
They were open for submissions at the time I sent them, and the submission is currently listed as "recieved" on submittable (which was what they listed as their preferred method of taking submissions for that issue).

Statistically speaking, they probably will reject it but they haven't yet.
>>
>>7673268
Yeah, a lot of magazine still do that, even The New Yorker excepts unsolicited manuscripts, but it's probably something like 1% of them get published at best. Publications have interns who can sort through that and the reason I think they continue doing it is just in case they find some unpublished author who ends up being the next big thing, then they can brag about discovering him. I'm not trying to be a down, I'm just cynical about the literary world.
>>
>>7673296
>but it's probably something like 1% of them get published at best

It's even lower than that. Getting published in the New Yorker is a dream for thousands of writers.
>>
>>7673296
Yeah. I do understand what sort of publication this is and how low the odds of them publishing me are. That's part of the joke too: most people would try to send them some "masterpiece" they spent months on because of how prestigious it is, I just whipped up a few poems about whacking it and hit send.
>>
>>7673303
Definitely. I was being very generous with 1%. I'd say the same for Tin House based off what I know of its reputation, since from what I've heard a fair amount of people view it as the The New Yorker of more experimental, less conventional literature.

>>7673323
Totally, I get what you're saying. That's pretty funny actually, imagining the unpaid intern who will read it. I've sent shit off to magazines like that just for the fuck of it.
>>
Granta’s the obvious suggestion, if you consider it a magazine.
>>
Paris Review is the main one
>>
>>7673303
How big of a deal would it be to get a couple of poems published in the new yorker?
Wouldn't it just be drowned out, seeing it's a weekly magazine?
>>
>>7673332
>of more experimental, less conventional literature.
lel Tin House is more milquetoast/middlebrow than New Yorker and that's saying something. not that either are bad.
>>
>>7674474
Anyone?
>>
>>7675139
>>7674474
As far as bragging rights go, a pretty big deal. If you're trying to get a book published, saying you've been in the New Yorker or Tin House helps a lot.
>>
>>7673332
>>7674516
Yeah.. a better choice for a magazine like that would be Conjunctions
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.