[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Favorite quotes thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8

File: image.jpg (271KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
271KB, 1680x1050px
Favorite quotes thread
>>
File: 1342732908862.jpg (183KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1342732908862.jpg
183KB, 640x480px
Marco Aurelio is great. Also

>The Master said "Is it not a pleasure, having learned something, to try it out at due intervals? Is not a joy to have like-minded friends come from afar? If it not gentlemanly to not take offence when others fail to appreciate your abilities?"
-Confucius
>>
>witty wit wit wit witticisms

quoth me

*tips appreciated, my fellow sirs*
>>
>>7672399
thats retarded
>>
File: 1432179462277.jpg (90KB, 960x529px) Image search: [Google]
1432179462277.jpg
90KB, 960x529px
>>7672582
You're "retarded", I'm afraid.>>7672570
Great responses guys!
>>
>>7672582
So you believe that living on your beliefs and taking action is retarded?
>>
>"nec manet ulla sui similis res: omnia migrant, omnia commutat natura et vertere cogit."
Titus Lucretius Carus

>"Infirmities of body and soul have played a part in our troubles: pride in suffering has made fine revolutionaries."
Chateaubriand
>>
>>7672588
lol plato the fucking hypocrite, half of the second and third books of his 'Republic' explain why he thinks the best way to raise good citizens is to lie to them
>>
>>7672627
How exactly is that hypocrisy? Most people are clearly not ready for the truth; democracy has given ample evidence for this.
>>
>>7672610
>Don't have discourse on virtue
jus b ursef
ur all that matters...
>>
>>7672620
can't find a translation for the Lucretius but from what I can gather it's something like "Nothing remains the same [lit: of its own sort]: all things change, nature changes everything and forces everything to revolve."

Is this right? It seems like quite a nice quote.
>>
>>7672639
because he seems to be suggesting that it is a problem that people are ridiculed and labelled a lunatic for telling the truth, and thus one might assume that he thinks society would be better if children were told the truth and honest men were respected. however, his republic then goes completely the opposite way and suggests that the perfect society should actually be set up in the same way as the world that he criticizes in this quote here, namely, with children being told lies in school. how is that not hypocrisy?
>>
>>7672639
>Most people are clearly not ready for the truth; democracy has given ample evidence for this.
You mean history has given ample evidence that societies will fuck up, be they democracy or not, be they lied to or not.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (322KB, 1440x700px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
322KB, 1440x700px
>>
>>7672650
yep.
Gives hope during bad times.
Also remembers me to appreciate the quiet moments.
>>
>>7672689
I approve
>>
File: American.jpg (43KB, 600x454px) Image search: [Google]
American.jpg
43KB, 600x454px
>>7672399
>>
File: 1392096309543.jpg (2MB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
1392096309543.jpg
2MB, 2816x2112px
Quotes about being smarter, stronger, a good person, being right, noble, winning life, having cunning intelligence, accepting the one and only truth of whatever. Or even to pretend to kneel to the marvels of the universe or god or a field like arts, science and philosophy to convince yourself to explore it like a rapist would while saying you are doing it justice. Quotes of how awesome you ought to be or denouncing the flaws of mankind and everyone around. Yeah, one can certainly fill the lungs with air with these quotes and forget the facts that people just do shit because they don't know better about anything else and the romanticized history implied is hiding a long story of people thinking they understand what each other wants and needs and says, projecting neurosis and grasping to ideals and to whatever things help them believe what they have is real.
>>
>"Any man who says he is a Scientist, but something else also, isn't a Scientist at all. We have room for but one goal, the Scientific Truth. We have room for but one language here, and that is mathematics. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the Scientific Community."

Richard Dawkins
>>
>"Any man who says he is a Christian, but something else also, isn't a Christian at all. We have room for but one symbol, the Holy Cross. We have room for but one language here, and that is the Word of God. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to Jesus Christ."

C.S. Lewis
>>
>"Any man who says he is a Chinese, but something else also, isn't a Chinese at all. We have room for but one flag, the Chinese flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the Chinese language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to Chinese people."

Jackie Chan
>>
File: mfw.gif (662KB, 367x400px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.gif
662KB, 367x400px
>>7672708
>Dawkins
>>
How do Stoics come to terms with their past misdeeds?

I'm asking for a friend
>>
>'Any man who says he is a critic, but something else also, isn't a critic at all. We have room for but one reading, the aesthetic reading. We have room for but one language here, and that is the appreciative language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to literature.'

Harold Bloom
>>
Things may come to those who wait but only the things left behind by those who hustle
>>
>>7672719
>>7672719
This is why I can't commit myself to Christianity. Because it isn't real. It can make you feel good when you go to mass, but ultimately it has failed to provide the social and moral order that a religion should provide. This is because it is a pack of lies. Fuck Christianity, it has failed Europe and made it the liberal shithole that it is today.
>>
Hell is other people.
>>
>>7672743
By acknowledging that they're a part of your environment, and as out of your hands as anything else that surrounds you.
>>
>>7672725
I wish Dawkins would drop dead asap.
>>
File: 1454578107917.png (125KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
1454578107917.png
125KB, 499x499px
>>7672762
R u perturbed?
>>
>>7672582
I bet you were that kid in high school who said he had like 100 guns at home but in reality only had a 22 pistol.
>>
>>7672697
Typical old white racist nonsense, telling people of color to whitewash their identities and abandon their colorful heritages.
>>
>>7672620
>nec manet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTZyorJVeqI
>>
>>7672399
Marcus Aurelius is GOAT

>We ought to observe also that even the things which follow after the things which are produced according to nature contain something pleasing and attractive. For instance, when bread is baked some parts are split at the surface, and these parts which thus open, and have a certain fashion contrary to the purpose of the baker's art, are beautiful in a manner, and in a peculiar way excite a desire for eating. And again, figs, when they are quite ripe, gape open; and in the ripe olives the very circumstance of their being near to rottenness adds a peculiar beauty to the fruit. And the ears of corn bending down, and the lion's eyebrows, and the foam which flows from the mouth of wild boars, and many other things- though they are far from being beautiful, if a man should examine them severally- still, because they are consequent upon the things which are formed by nature, help to adorn them, and they please the mind; so that if a man should have a feeling and deeper insight with respect to the things which are produced in the universe, there is hardly one of those which follow by way of consequence which will not seem to him to be in a manner disposed so as to give pleasure. And so he will see even the real gaping jaws of wild beasts with no less pleasure than those which painters and sculptors show by imitation; and in an old woman and an old man he will be able to see a certain maturity and comeliness; and the attractive loveliness of young persons he will be able to look on with chaste eyes; and many such things will present themselves, not pleasing to every man, but to him only who has become truly familiar with nature and her works.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.