[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw slogging through a shitty book that a cute girl recommended

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 5

File: 11297[1].jpg (54KB, 308x475px) Image search: [Google]
11297[1].jpg
54KB, 308x475px
>tfw slogging through a shitty book that a cute girl recommended you while trying to come up with convincing lies about why I liked the book
>>
god dammit, i fucked up the pronouns. you know what i mean.
>>
I just had this experience with a /lit/ recommendation. I imagine it was a woman at least, because its quality was offensive.
>>
>>7671957
What book did they recommend?
>>
>>7671960
A Month in the Country - J.L. Carr
>>
That's what Marquez was for me.

Fucking girlfriend making me read 800 page tomes of boring horseshit.
>>
Unbearable Lightness of Being

why do women love this boo
>>
>>7671978
It's pretty cute, as ghosts go.
>>
>>7671968
I took a magical realism class back in high school and Marquez was pretty lame. We read The Third Resignation and that one story about some girl whose grandma pimped her out.
>>
>>7671967
That does sound terrible. Like some wannabe Hemingway shit.
>>
>>7671993
It brims with shallow insight. It was short at least.
>>
>>7671949
Fuck it man. Just tell her why you didn't like it. All you need to make sure is you don't make her feel TOO shitty for liking it.

What's the point of lying.

Funny post though.
>>
>>7672031
>What's the point of lying.
Pussy. What else?
>>
File: 1386763972321.png (56KB, 1379x2031px) Image search: [Google]
1386763972321.png
56KB, 1379x2031px
I REALLY got memed into reading Murakami
>wanted to know whats up with this murakami guy
>start with south of the border west of the sun
>it's ok nothing bad or good about it, too much LMAO SEX tho
>"it gets better, read Norwegian Wood !"
>read it and it's pretty much the same thing
>"it gets better, read his magical realism stuff"
>read hard boiled wonderland, kafka on the shore and other fucking book I don't even remember
>its all shit even worse than his LMAO SEX stuff
>>
>>7672040
Bitches like dicks, not pussy. Pussy accommodates. You're accommodating her shit by lying.

You're the pussy, she's the dick.

It's impossible to give good advice on "Women" but generally have faith that you're worth some shit and that you don't have to lie to women to get in their pants.
>>
I liked Norwegian Wood. I mean, it's not like it's going to be a classic, but I enjoyed it.
>>
I think Murukami is probably just fun for two books. One magical realism and the other Norwegian Wood. I mean, if you're not immediately bored by it two books is probably good enough.
>>
>>7672051
Except for how much pussy you've fucked, actually. ALWAYS lie about how much pussy you've fucked. I usually double my body count.
>>
>>7672051
thanks dad
>>
>>7672072
No problem kiddo.

Go get'em.
>>
>>7671949
hahahaa been there. Don't do it or you'll hate yourself later on. Here's what i did.

I read the summary online and made up a salad of buzzwords like quirky, exciting, fun, sexy, rip-roaring, resplendent, human condition, blah blah and got laid in under 3 weeks.

Although, I did have to buy another book by the same author just to make her feel i really liked the book she'd recommended. Small price for the best slavic pussy i ever had. I later used the same book i'd bought to get similar-styled pussy i'd just screwed.

Those were the days. Now i'm gay. The End.
>>
Be honest and explain why it was shit. Make a point.

Girls hate head nodders. They like to be right about things, but they like better to be challenged.
>>
>>7672097
cuck everyone.... a cuck
>>
>>7672050
I think part of it is in the translation. Besides, it gets better with his nonfiction work. Read Underground.
>>
I really enjoyed Norwegian Wood.
>You'll never have an emotinally damaged motherly middle aged woman/pedophile slowly enter your life and then passionately make love to you and never see her again
>>
>>7672111
>more Murakami
Im good bro
>>
>>7672097
>women like to be challenged
literally lmfao

There are two types of women, women who want to be told what to think and women who want to tell you what to think. Both attitudes are responses to avoid challenges because women cannot bear to be challenged. I have fucked 5,000 women, and I am an expert.
>>
>guy that reads more books than me recommends Murakami
>we both start reading the same book
>I tell him it's shit
>he says "I thought you might like it"
>"what's a better book then?"
>"I don't know I never really bothered with him"

y
>>
>>7672139
>Fucked a vapid feminist purely because I was the only one who challenged her on her shit.

:^)
>>
>>7672139
Which number was the best?
>>
>>7672111
LMAO SEX WITH TRAINS
>>
What's wrong with Norwegian Wood exactly?
>>
File: 1303865402633.png (45KB, 181x191px) Image search: [Google]
1303865402633.png
45KB, 181x191px
>>7672340
BRO SEX LMAO, SEX WITH EVERYONE SEX SEX THE PUBIC HAIR AND SEX !
>>
File: 1281392653997.jpg (9KB, 251x250px) Image search: [Google]
1281392653997.jpg
9KB, 251x250px
>>7672354
>>
I once read an entire series of shit vampire fiction (Anita Blake) because I liked a girl and she said they were her favorite books. The writing was god-awful too, 50 Shades tier but with vampires. Told her that I didn't think much of the writing, but liked the plots (I didn't, they were just as bad). Got laid, but also had my first heartbreak, so I don't know how I feel about it now.
>>
>>7672354
I guess virgins can't appreciate the genius that is Murakami.
>>
>>7672050
>kafka on the shore
i always liked the title of this book
>>
My English Prof recommended me the Stranger and Kafkas bug story, liked them both

she's a nice lady
>>
>>7672340
other than the namedropping of random western authors for no reason whatsoever, the cringe worthy gratuitous sex scenes , all the women in the novel being hysterical and insane and the writing being incredibly shallow? (I can't comment on the original Japanese, maybe it's just jay rubin being a hack)
>>
Read sparknotes or wikipedua summary

Talk about something
>>
>>7672449
I don't really recall the writing being that shallow, though it is just a simple romance kind of story so that I could accept.

The "random" namedropping is just a Murakami thing, he loves western authors and music, classical too usually comes up. I don't really see that as something that could be considered "wrong", especially considering the time period in Japan being one where a young person would probably be pretty interested in the West.

I guess I could see people not wanting to read about sex, personally those are always my least favorite parts of Murakami books because it always feels dry, unless it's relevant to the story in a significant way. So that I can accept.

And I really don't see how the women being mentally fucked up is something "wrong". I don't really understand how that makes sense as a critique.
>>
>>7672432
>Kafka's bug story
I love it
>>
>>7672432
Read Kafka's starvation story too. I liked it more than the bug one.
>>
>>7672111
well meme'd my gentlesir
>>
How is hard boiled wonderland? I'm set to read it next and, since i'm currently reading gravity's rainbow i figured it would be a nice decompression book. Was I wrong?
>>
>>7672097
>they like better to be challenged.
then they're not humans
>>
>>7671949
Have you had workshop where you had to critique a shitty vampire story from some fat weeboo girl who probably has PTSD but legit has been raped, and you don't want to be too harsh with her story so you start coming up with some good things to say even if they aren't true? Treat it like that.
>>
Why do you faggots tap dance around the issue? Just tell her how you see it.
>>
>>7672600
Read The Broom Of The System instead. No one really talks about it here but it's pretty entertaining despite not being particularly deep. DFW called it "A dialogue between Wittgenstein and Derrida" but he was high off his gourd and a wanker undergrad when he wrote it.
>>
>>7672628
They think if they're nice to her she'll reward them with a kiss.
>>
>>7672600
I read it while also reading Hassidic tales by Nachman of Bratslav (Kafkaesque before Kafka) and just felt dissatisfied because it didn't have much substance.

Some ideas about binary and identity, hints of cyberpunk, namedropping musicians and historians. It's pomo-lite but not fulfilling. To me at least
>>
I thought maybe it was/is exciting to formal and traditional Japanese society. Murakami does speak of how he rejected his own nations classics in favour of modern western lit/music etc. Female characters particularly shallow - psychiatrist okay. Too much sex for no reason. Sparks of decent writing, wish he'd spent more time actually describing Japan.
>>
>>7672068
>tfw you double 0

:(
>>
>>7672391
>normalfags liking shit authors
Clockwork
>>
I wish a qt girl would recommend me books.

They don't even talk to me.
>>
>>7673450
I recommend you suck my clit.
>>
>>7673458
That doesn't really work the same way "suck my dick" would because most guys would just say "ok" unless you're a gigantic hamplanet who doesn't shower or something.
>>
>>7673458
Lewd
>>
>>7673458
W-will you teach me and pat me on the head as encouragement?
>>
>>7671949
girls read walmart tier books because one day they decided, "hey, I need to improve myself" so they go and buy a book to read thinking that reading it will make them smarter.

just trump her by downloading it, read the first chapter then talk to her about how you deconstructed the first chapter and about the story construction. then relate to other books you have read and discuss that.

>women also fall for the "being around smart people makes you smarter" meme
>seem smart and being around you will also play into her desire for self improvement
>>
>>7673726
This doesn't sound like it'll lead to a scenario where you'd end up ejaculating inside her, which is I presume the ultimate aim of the whole "read stuff girl recommends" act?
>>
>>7672090
You're some kind of hero,
>>
>>7672068
Yeah because girls love guys like
>yeah I fuck around a lot
You fucking retard
>>
>>7673794
The slutty ones do desu.
>>
>>7673739
when a woman does something, she doesnt actually do it for the outcome, only for what it signals to other. she wants to feel worthy, important.

talking to normies is like...talking to a psychotic schizophrenic having an acute episode. they might say things like the government is watching them and she can hear people masturbating through the invisible cameras in her bathroom. but what she is really telling you is that she is scared. so you must respond in a way that will make her feel safe.

the worst possible way to react is to actually attempt to talk to her about the book. she wont actually understand it. she will feel threatened. you have threatened her ego. what she is telling you is that she's smart and thoughtful and interesting. below this, she is telling you that she does not feel valued and people need to start valuing her, "look, I'm doing something worthwhile people do! why does everyone still treat me like an idiot?!?" fill this void in her. soothe her pain. treat her like a person. ignore the intellectual facade. take her to lunch, ask her simple questions like the weather, her family ect. make her feel like she is in fact interesting to you. worth your time.
>>
>>7673831
I almost can't tell if you're just autistic or were raised on 1950s educational videos.
>>
>>7673831
I would say people in general are the way you're describing, just with varying degrees of subtlety.
>>
File: BUeN3_RCAAAFhgB.jpg (7KB, 216x216px) Image search: [Google]
BUeN3_RCAAAFhgB.jpg
7KB, 216x216px
>mfw my female best friend gives me Cioran's books to read and I give her Bataille's
>mfw I had my girlfriend read DFW's essays and she formed a more coherent opinion on them than anyone on here did
>mfw I can discuss philosophy, literature and cinema with my mates every night drinking a beer and we all have a great time

Shit dudes, I feel fairly sorry for you all.
>>
Just emphasize what you liked about it, not that you like it.
>>
>>7671949
Murakami's only good book imo
>>
>>7673863
>>mfw my female best friend gives me Cioran's books to read and I give her Bataille's
Did you give her the "story" of your "eye"?
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.