[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kafka, Borges and Joyce are the greatest writers of the XX century.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (51KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51KB, 500x500px
Kafka, Borges and Joyce are the greatest writers of the XX century.

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>7671632
that's not a very controversial opinion OP. why bother proving you wrong?
>>
>>7671632
Borges out, Beckett in
>>
>>7671635
See >>7671636
>>
>>7671636
>Beckett better than Borges

I love Beckett, but I wouldn't say he was better than Borges. Borges is definitely part of the triumvirate along with Kafka and Joyce.
>>
>>7671673
I don't care about your shit opinion, mate
>>
>>7671640
Hmm, that might be true. I admit I kind of forgot about him. A whole century is a long time and the twentieth century had a lot of great authors.
>>
I feel Borges can't really be compared to other writers because his thing is so special, almost not literature. His work is just made from ideas related in interesting ways.
>>
Should I bother reading Borges?
What's so special about him ?
>>
>>7671738
he's only interesting to liberals. its degenerate "literature"
>>
What about Nabokov? He's not at least as good as Kafka or Borges?
>>
>>7671738
even if no one was to tell you anything about Borges, you might as well try, considering that most of his stories are about 5 pages in length.

He's the progenitor of South American Magic Realism. I haven't read that much of the genre or of Borges besides Ficciones, so I can't explain with honest passion why you should read him, but I can say that you might as well try it.
>>
>>7671636
Both out, Proust in.
>>
>>7671738
He's the greatest thing ever duh. If I was 13 years old I'd tell you that his stories are mind fucks that will leave you with a great feeling and new ideas you'd never have.

I'm 26 years old and I can tell you that his stories have an incredible philosophic weight, are built under erudition and are incredibly entertaining, specially if you are into literature since most of his themes deal with what writting is really about.

When he's not dealing with literature or philosophy, his metaphores are beautifully crafted to the point where they become euphemism.
>>
>>7671810
>his metaphores are beautifully crafted to the point where they become euphemism.

what did he mean by this?
>>
>>7671738
Everything in Ficciones is easily available online, just go read him
>>
>>7671718
Far from being not literature, his work is arguably some of the "purest" literature out there. He works in the abstract, with things that can only be communicated through words.
>>
>>7671684
>implying that's an opiniĆ³n
>mfw it is a fact
>mfw I have no face fue to your plebhood
>>
Faulkner, Beckett, Bely, and Nabokov are all more important than Borges. Hell, Robbe-Grillet is more important than Borges.
>>
>>7672503
PFFFTT HAHAHAHA

I mean, who the fuck would even dare to call Nobokov influential? Joyce, Borges and Kafka redefined literature around the world...

Faulkner was by no means that influential either.
>>
>>7672531
Spew blanket statements all you want, it won't change the facts. The fact that you picked out Nabokov and Faulkner, each of whom has been more influential than Beckett and Robbe-Grillet, indicates that you don't really have any knowledge of literature. In fact, this is why I included Robbe-Grillet, who has actually been less influential than Borges, to see whether you knew anything or were just shilling Borges.
>>
>>7671810
>his metaphores are beautifully crafted to the point where they become euphemism.
This is why i hate magical realism. It's trash worthy.
>>
>>7672531
>Faulkner was by no means that influential either.

Thanks for letting us know your opinion is garbage.
>>
>>7672531
Faulkner is arguably the finest Anerican writer of the 20th century (if not that country's entire history) and second only in that same century to Joyce
>>
>>7672531

I'm not saying Absalom, Absalom! and The Sound and the Fury are the greatest books ever, but it doesn't get better than. I don't know if anybody with half a brain would claim he isn't influential, even if they don't care for him.
>>
John Hawkes desu
>>
>>7671632

i CAN'T.
>>
>>7671632
I will be sad when i see /lit/ turn against borges through no fault of his own.
>>
>>7671632
Switch out Borges for Beckett, add in Gaddis and Gass, and we have ourselves a deal.
>>
>>7672621
Nigga, I love Hawkes, but even though his ideas can match Joyce at every step, I just don't feel that as a stylist he can compete.
>>
>>7672554
Borges redefined Latin American literature for the rest of the century. Who did Nabokov influence?
>>
>>7672711

pedophiles
There's a reason he's so popular on 4chan
>>
>>7672503

no
>>
>>7671688

that's not james joyce m8
>>
>>7671632
>Not Proust
>Not Gass
>Not Wallace
don't waste my time
>>
>>7671745
Borges was in favor of laissez-faire capitalism mate-o
>>
>>7671745
You're thinking of Pablo Neruda. Borges was definitely capitalist and hated well fare.
>>
>>7673007
that's the joke
>>
>>7671684
>Thanks for letting us know your opinion is garbage.
Mind your slippery toung mister.
>>
>>7671632
J O Y C E

B E C K E T T

P R O U S T
>>
>>7673182
I don't get the hype about Wallace. He's not an outstanding stylist, and most of his ideas were taken from Gaddis and DeLillo.
>>
>>7673830
That's not any better.
>>
>>7674377
I know, and in fact, it's infinitely worse, but that's not the point.
>>
>>7671632
Chesterton
That was easy
>>
>>7671632
>>7671636
I would say Borges out, Proust in.
And funnily enough, neither of them received the Nobel Prize.
>>
Mann, Proust, and Joyce.
>>
>>7671632
>Borges
I don't get this meme
>>
>>7676142
>meme
I don't get this meme
>>
>>7674709
as a rhetorician he was the best but in terms of literature he was very good. Not the greatest.
>>
>>7673848
>capitalist
>not liberal
>>
>>7671765
>He's the progenitor of South American Magic Realism
burn it all
>>
>>7671768
>>7673182
>>7671768
>>7676123
Do I need to learn French to read Proust?
>>
Mann, Musil, Bernhard.
>>
>>7676166
Yes.
>>
>>7676190
did you tho?
>>
>>7676166
do you have autism?
>>
>>7676237
Will that help me read Proust?
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.