[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/lit/, let's try something here: Name an area of literature

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 1444480716605.jpg (47KB, 552x336px) Image search: [Google]
1444480716605.jpg
47KB, 552x336px
/lit/, let's try something here:

Name an area of literature you generally don't enjoy/strongly dislike (whether it's genre fiction, YA fiction, existentialism, high school-core, postmodernism, etc) and then name an exception to that which you genuinely enjoyed/appreciated.

For me, I strongly dislike YA fiction as it's often derivative and a diluted form of works that influenced it, however I do enjoy the His Dark Materials trilogy for tackling more than just transparent political allegory and creating something that transcends typical YA-ficiton shit.
>>
don't usually like the american southern gothic literature but love Cormac mcCarthy

don't usually like sci-fi but love Philip K Dick and the Strugatsky Bros.

I don't read ethnically diverse authors unless if they're nationalistic like Yukio Mishima
>>
>>7670597
I hate dystopian lit but Brave New World was awesome
I have nothing for sci-fi but "Dune" was amazing
I never saw the appeal for realism but "La Peau de chagrin" was pretty dope
>>
File: image.jpg (194KB, 856x757px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
194KB, 856x757px
i detest comic books. but Neil Gaiman's Sandman was great
>>
>>7670712
Have you read 'Maus', senpai?
>>
>>7670647
Recently I've been noticing a lot of people shitting on Dune. I'm torn on whether I should read it or not (I probably will pick it up eventually just to see what I think of it and form my own opinion of course).

Just wondering, what did you find amazing about Dune?
>>
>>7670712
Gaiman I think is a surprising author. He's everything incarnate that /lit/ seems to hate: genre fiction, nerd culture and YA fiction. Yet, he knows how to handle pacing and usually manages a line between his interest in humour and weird fiction that is surprisingly effective. Kinda like Pratchett, I guess, which makes sense since those two worked together a few times I believe.
>>
>>7670712
> detest comic books

Have you read Watchmen? I hear a lot of people saying that transcends typical comic-book superhero schtick.

Also Persepolis is pretty fascinating and worth a read. It's a comic-book, sure (or graphic novel if we want to be pedantic about it), but it's pretty humorous and political too: it's like a mixture of coming-of-age teen drama (if that can be applied to a Iranian girl having to evacuate her country on her parents recommendation due to political tensions rising) and recent middle-eastern political history. I didn't expect it to be as engaging or as funny as it was.

Also >>7670734 this anon is right: Maus should also be an exception. European comics are okay too if you, like me, can't stand Marvel-shit everywhere. Europeans love their mysteries, crime and archaeology if their comics are anything to go by.
>>
>>7670712
Sandman is corny pseud shit
perhaps it's alright by the standards of mainstream US comics, but considering how putrid that standard is that ain't saying much

get yourself some chris ware and jim woodring comics
get cerebus, from hell and corto maltese as well while you're at it
>>
>>7670712
> doesn't like the ultimate GOAT, Calvin and Hobbes
>>
>>7670734
>>7670739
>>7670751
>>7670754

thank you all for the suggestions persepolis and maus look like they're good
>>
>>7670770
i didn't care much for persepolis when i read it
you might appreciate harve pekar's american splendor, chester brown's paying for it and joe sacco's war journalism comics(palestine and safe area gorazde in particular) if you're interested in autobiographical comics though
>>
File: tumblr_mcq1d25L531qagnmwo1_1280.jpg (327KB, 1095x1505px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mcq1d25L531qagnmwo1_1280.jpg
327KB, 1095x1505px
>>7670754
>>7670776
oh and shit, you definitely need to check out charles burns' comics, the man is a master of the medium

i recommend starting out with the x'ed out/the hive/sugar skull trilogy
>>
I genuinely struggle with romantic literature but I loved Audition. Best romance novel, hands down.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.