[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I lost the habit to read about three years ago Is it possible

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: 1454812277662.jpg (162KB, 1280x852px) Image search: [Google]
1454812277662.jpg
162KB, 1280x852px
I lost the habit to read about three years ago

Is it possible for me to reacquire it or am I just going to have to settle for only reading 10 books a year?
>>
It's like riding a bike. Same shit happened to me and a few months ago I wen't back. I felt like nothing changed
>>
>>7669286

Did you do anything special to get back in the groove?

I'm thinking of just forcing myself to lock my laptop away in the late afternoon so I have to read or do nothing until bed.
>>
>>7669282
Yeah, I did the same thing. Just start with something fun and not too challenging, then you're back.
>>
>>7669301
this.
>>
>>7669282
I had the same problem, i overcame it by rereading something simple and fun, i used the Inheritance cycle, but choose whatever you like best, you'll be back into it in no time.
>>
Force yourself to read ten minutes a day, it can be whatever you want. Rereading an old favorite, reading something light, your favorite poem, whatever. After about two weeks, kick it up to 20 minutes.
You can set an alarm so you don't glance at the clock and take yourself out of it, or you can set a stopwatch so you won't be interrupted.

Once you feel comfortable at 20 minutes increase to 30m, then 45m, etc until you get to where you want (I try for 1-2 hours a day, more on weekends).
Don't let yourself skip a day, or wiggle or of it or you can end up back at square one.

If you become too busy at some point in your life, just reduce it to something you can handle even it's just 10 minutes again.
>>
Do you take public transport at all?
Read whenever you do. This is what makes me read a lot because it sparks my interest, even if I don't get to read too much on the way.

>>7669993
Do you even like reading
>>
>>7669996
Reading in public transport a shit unless it's an empty tram or tube.
>>
>>7669996
I'm finding myself having to reread lots of parts whenever I read on a bus, it's not very comfy either but at least I'm reading r-right guys
>>
>>7670010
Why does it have to be empty
As long as you get to sit it should make no difference
>>
>>7669996
Yes, but I'm also forgetful, and want to make sure I read every day, because I enjoy it but get distracted (from starting in the first place).

OP said he lost his habit for reading, what I wrote is basically a guide for giving yourself a habit for anything.

I used the same tactic for writing, drawing, painting, etc
>>
>>7670020
not the poster, but having read on public transport I can see how some people would not feel comfortable doing so. Public transport can be really loud and cramped during rush hour which can make reading more challenging at times with a lot of loud talking and shuffling about means you have to devote a bit of concentration on those around you. That would probably be at the extreme end of the scale with empty being on the other.
>>
>>7670189
I listen to music while I read on public transport
I can see how some people would be too distracted, but it was a suggestion that might have worked for OP, so I suggested it
>>
>>7669282

Not sure you have the same problem, but for me, I had replaced the habit of reading with the habit of buying books. My backlog had reached the triple digits, and still I kept buying books, starting said books, then getting only 30 or 40 pages in before my mind wandered and I started something new.

To fix this I simply had to build up some willpower and force myself to stop buying books until I finished the one's I already had.

I'm no where near finishing my backlog, but at least I'm actually finishing books now.
>>
File: 1435275193666.png (40KB, 237x165px) Image search: [Google]
1435275193666.png
40KB, 237x165px
I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on 4chan anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.
>>
>>7669282

10 books a year is actually insanely good, considering what your average judge on the Pulitzer panel reads.
>>
I HATED READING
THEN FOUND A BOOK ABOUT PHILOSOPHY
NOW CAN'T STOP
Good luck op
>>
I suggest figuring out how to make reading take the place of some activity you find yourself defaulting to. For example, I used to browse news articles every morning on my iPad while I was waiting for my adderall to kick in; now I open up my ebooks instead. When I was first switching over I found that I'd (unthinkingly) open up my browser or w/e, so I went and switched the places of the icons.
>>
>>7670293
>Read various books at the same time
Horrible advice.

>Guys I read Im so superior us readers right, im better than average, right ?
>>
>>7670854
This desu, reading novels is such a drag.
>>
Why do we get so many of these threads?
>>
>>7670979

Because we've hit that low-point in history where literacy has become a luxury of the few, rather than the right of the many.
>>
>>7670293
came here to read this post
>>
>>7669282
10 books a year is better than most desu senpai.

I like to balance big books with shorter books and novellas. A door stopper than 2-3 short works.
>>
>>7671346

*then
>>
>>>/adv/
>>>/r9k/
>>>/batteryacid/
>>
>>7671370
http://www.diffen.com/difference/Than_vs_Then

better read that, lad
>>
I don't read as much because I also watch film and other shit. Fuck you fags and your "75 books a year" bullshit, also not a neet.
>>
>>7671389
>A door stopper than 2-3 short works.
then is the correct change, lad
>>
>>7671431
I thought he was referring to

>10 books a year is better than most desu senpai

The second one is obviously a typo
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.