[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is justice?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1609798.jpg (39KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
1609798.jpg
39KB, 620x400px
I recently got in to philosophy and started reading The Republic. We find Socrates and others discussing the question "What is justice?"
What is /lit/'s definition of justice?

as for me, my definition would be something like this: Justice protects those who act with good intentions and punish those who act with bad intentions
>>
Your definition sucks because everyone acts thinking they have good intentions. Everyone is the hero of their own story. Even the guy murdering his wife for cheating on him thinks he's justified and doing good.
>>
>>7668877
Justice is socialized power, it goes beyond the needs of the individual in favor of the needs of society.

It doesn't have any metaphysical justification, but exists because a society with Justice has a competitive advantage over a society with Anarchy. There is no "good and evil," there is only reality, and structures that sustain and out compete other structures.
>>
It is the advantage of the stronger.
>>
Justice is doing one's own business
>>
>>7668877
>>7669193
>>7671092
Have ANY of you read The Republic?

>>7671103
Gets it.
>>
>>7668877
>on Santa Claus the hogfather
>>
>>7668877
Law's shy mistress.
>>
justice is a cuckold
>>
>>7669153
There are good objections, but that is not one. Saying you respond to intentions doesn't mean you take everyone at their word about their intentions or that you don't take an objective stance on what "good and bad intentions" are outside the opinion of the crime-committer.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.