[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /lit/ think of Frankenstein and Mary Shelley?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: MaryShelly.jpg (63KB, 732x900px) Image search: [Google]
MaryShelly.jpg
63KB, 732x900px
What does /lit/ think of Frankenstein and Mary Shelley?
>>
frankenstein is good. i didn't expect it from a woman writer.
>>
She conquered the romantic era of literature. She's great
>>
>husband- Percy Shelley
>mother- Mary Wollstonecraft
How can one family be so literarily based?
>>
>>7666692
superb

i've read that 'notes from underground' is considered the first existentialist novel. wonder why it never occurred to them frankenstein was earlier. the monster's existential crisis is doubled by frankenstein's crisis his creating life. the metafiction structures in the story are genius. science fiction, milton, comfy descriptions of the arctic landscape. 10/10 would read again
>>
>>7666692

Shelley is seriously based, all memes aside.
>>
You don't actually think she wrote it did you?

Look who her husband was...
>>
>>7666692
Those traps tho
>>
One of the best
To bad her husband made her edit it and she edited it later
>>
>>7666692
The Last Man is better IMO
>>
>>7666908
but she wrote the plot, right?
>>
Everyone ITT is being ironic.
Frankenstein is obviously a hugely overrated book, and if it had been written by her husband or any other male Romantic, it would be little more than a footnote.

There are legitimately great female writers, but making out mediocrity to be masterful just smacks of insecurity.

(A Vindication of The Rights of Women is equally bad)
>>
>>7666976
you should not read it for what it is by why it is
>>
Frankenstein is a great book, not overrated at all, firmly in the Gothic tradition (bizarre frame narrative), arguably the first science fiction novel, raises all kinds of dope philosophical questions, and it and its movie adaptations are a big basis for the "mad scientist" trope. Hard to think of a better 19th century novel written by a woman with the exception of Middlemarch and the first half of Wuthering Heights.

If you want to see overrated 19th century writing check out Polidori's The Vampyre, also composed in 1816, year without a summer, at the same story contest that caused Frankenstein to germinate. It's not very good.
>>
Great time for that thread, just finished the audible yesterday.
The second half of the book is too predictable, nonetheless enjoyable.

According to the Spiegel http://www.spiegel.de/unispiegel/studium/aristoteles-bis-marx-diese-zehn-buecher-muessen-studenten-in-harvard-lesen-a-1074279.html

it is the ficitonal novel that has been handled in literature (sciences) more than any other, which - to be perfectly frank - surprised me.

I guess it is due to being
a) written by a woman and on top it
b) features the theory, that a human/creature with consciousness is being born good but may become evil due to bad treatment by society.

A thought that is rather common in the progressive atmosphere of these university courses.
(Not trying to start a political argument by the way)
>>
Percy Shelley is a good poet

Frankenstein is the fucking worst and I've never read anything else by Mary Shelley. Should I give soemthing else of her's a shot?
>>
>>7666692
frankestein is perfect.you must read it
>>
>>7667794
>Frankenstein is the fucking worst
You're an illiterate child.

>>7667002
I should pick up Wuthering Heights, but I haven't been able to find a non-translated physical book in my country. I may end up reading the translation or the ebook.
>>
>>7666976
Back to the shitheap with you hipster
>>>↑/tv/
>>
>>7666908
Quite the other way around, she wrote her husbands work, or at-least heavily edited it because he was a shit writer.
>>
>>7666692

>makes a deal to create his monster a mate
>has second thoughts "OMG what if they breed!?"
>doesn't instead create a futanari, thereby saving the remainder of his family

Dropped.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.