[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Semiotics has suddenly piqued my interest and I want to learn

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: treachery.png (2MB, 1442x1005px) Image search: [Google]
treachery.png
2MB, 1442x1005px
Semiotics has suddenly piqued my interest and I want to learn about it.
Where are some good places to start?
>>
File: Hopper (1903).jpg (85KB, 559x800px) Image search: [Google]
Hopper (1903).jpg
85KB, 559x800px
For me Barthes' 'Semiotic Challenge' was a pretty good introduction. After it, if you are interested in discursive semiotics, read Propp / Jakobson. If you are more interested in plastic and figurative semiotics, read A. J. Greimas, he often overlaps with Barthes, but I personally like him more.
>>
>>7664909
What /lit/ will tell you is that you should start with Saussere and Pierce and then work chronologically towards contemporary thinkers but I think that a textbook or summary is enough to get a basic understanding. Like Saussere and Pierce can be summed up quite quckly but you need time to wrap your head around it.

I did a presentation on semiotics for my design courses and once I was done with it the idea of decoding the world through signs (consciously and un-consciously) occupied my mind for months - that's when the real fun starts, I felt like rediscovering the inner mechanisms of life, the psyche and everything else you can apply the sign analogy to.

When you're done Charles S Pierce and Ferdinard De Saussere, you can march on to Max Bense, Baudrillard, Umberto Eco, R Barthes and maybe look up the ancient definition signs by Aristotle. Again, no need for the original texts, an introduction to semiotics is more than enoguh
>>
i started with mythologies by roland barthes. it makes most reading lists of essential critical theory
>>
>>7664969
It's a tough read if you have no context on his methods, or french culture in the 50s
>>
>>7664967
It's Saussure* and Peirce*, senpai.
>>
>>7664967
it's Charles PEirce, not Pierce
>>
Cratylus
>>
>>7664997
>>7665003
>Saussure
While we're at it, it's good to point out that the name's pronounced 'satchel', which comes as a surprise to most of course but is a crucial distinction to make for any credibility in discussing him.
>>
Thanks so much, fellows. Got a lot to look into now.
>>
>>7664971
What should I read to give me the necessary understanding of these things to approach Mythologies?
>>
>>7665046
This isn't true, OP, but Peirce is pronounced 'purse'.
>>
>>7664971
eh true but some of the stuff in there like the einstein's mind or the martians essay are easily digestible without that knowledge
>>
>>7664909

A tobacconist or a hookah store.
>>
>>7665003
>>7664997
>>7665046
>>7665129
This is actually how I pronounced their names all this time, I beg your pardon

>>7665129
Barthes expanded on the previous definitions of semiotics, so inform yourself on previous iterations of the term. I got much more out of the book on my second reading, when I came in prepared.
As >>7665177 said, some essays don't require cultural context, like the ones about wrestling, or steak, others will need a bit of background information like who Abbe Pierre was or how other cars compared to Citroes DS at that time. But in the end even without a theoretical background you'll get hints of Barthes' brilliance
>>
>>7664909
In the trash
>>
>>7665239
Woah. Epic.
>>
>>7664909
A theory of semiotics, Umberto Eco
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.