[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If I read nothing but the New Testament for a year, will I become

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: dostoevsky.jpg (4MB, 3200x4000px) Image search: [Google]
dostoevsky.jpg
4MB, 3200x4000px
If I read nothing but the New Testament for a year, will I become a good writer /lit/?
>>
>>7664326
Yes but only if you write in double column.
>>
Stop deluding yourself. The NT is merely a history book with certain, shitty life lessons. There is no reason to read it more than once and stop lying to yourselves
>>
>>7664344
Just admit it's over your head.
>>
>>7664326
you'd deteriorate to hopelessness
>>
Which version of the NT do I read if I don't want any globalist propaganda?
>>
>>7665649
>not only concerning yourself with the KJV
>>
>>7665654
What do you mean by this?
>>
>>7664326
No love for the OT? Has some great writing like Job and Ecclesiastes
>>
>>7665680
Seriously. I'd recommend Song of Songs as well.
>>
>>7665853
>>7665680
You might as well just add psalms and proverbs
>>
>>7665680
>>7665853
>>7665873

Even if your not religious they're good. The bible in general is a pretty interesting book.

This is why I don't understand fedoras who get mad at it, its a legit good book (collection of books really i guess) and a huge part of history.
>>
>>7665654
Read NASB, it's the most literal translation. That should be good for you, right?
>>
>>7665952
Agreed. I'm an atheist and I think the bible is a pretty good read.
It's worth looking into the origins of the texts though. Genesis is more interesting when you find out that it's a combination of three separate creation myths, for example.

It may not be the most historically accurate (magic, there is no evidence that there was ever a mass exodus of Jews from Egypt, etc.) but it still is an immensely important historical document.
It's also a pretty decent intro to philosophy for beginners. Many later philosophers have either tried to build on or refute some of the more popular teachings of the bible.
>>
>>7665963
Actually there's a version, the name escapes me now for some reason and Google was no help, that is a literal word for word translation of the Bible. Needless to say it's incredibly difficult to read and understand.

I personally have a common English study bible which includes notes, references, maps, and commentary, which I cross-reference with my King James Version.

I'd highly recommend a study bible for beginners who may not be familiar with the historical context. The common English one isn't the best, but it's good to compare it to the KJV.
>>
>>7665952
it's actually a horribly written cobbled together book and a pain in the ass to read.
>>
>>7665993
Do you mean an interlinear bible? That's pretty dang literal, NASB is much more readable though, I think the ESV is pretty popular and still highly accuate.
>>
>>7664326
no, you will just become an athiest
>>
>>7664344
Those are the ONLY lessons you need. Its a message of the living God. You're probably too shallow at this point of your life to try to understand it, but you will. The more I age the more sense it makes. And Jesus knew it at 30 years of age, perhaps much earlier.
The main theme of his teaching is reaching closeness to God through servitude, humbleness towards all of his creatures and turning the other cheek - understanding the issue in people and forgiveness because of it.
And who was he? Great psychologis? Some noble exposed to all the previous works of the Greeks and contemporary Romans? Neither. Just a poor carpenter in the world where such teaching was revolutionary. If nothing, it is truly inspiring to know for such teacher to exist.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.