[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the best DFW novels that aren't IJ ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

File: David-Foster-Wallace-Net-Worth.jpg (261KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
David-Foster-Wallace-Net-Worth.jpg
261KB, 2000x1000px
What are the best DFW novels that aren't IJ ?
>>
>>7660672

There are only two DFW novels that aren't IJ.
>>
Just read oblivion and his essays. Rest is trash. IJ should be edited to about 300 pages.
>>
>>7660687
>IJ should be edited to about 300 pages
Well memed XD
>>
>>7660687
I'm reading The Broom of The System now and it's a lot of fun. He was clearly an undergrad showing off and jerking himself off when he wrote it but it's an entertaining book.
>>
>>7660701
If you've read more than 50 books in your life and didn't spend all your time on /lit/ you'd realize he's completely right. Fucking illiterate faggot.
>>
>>7660710
>implying you're not the same guy
>implying you've read 50 books
Kek
>>
>>7660726
Wasn't me retard.

In case you're unaware 50 books is barely anything. But I guess it must seem daunting to you since you've only read 20 meme books and 30 wikipedia summaries to shitpost on /lit/.
>>
>>7660734
>Wasn't me retard
Sure it wasn't buddy

>"IM SMART ANON, WHY WON'T YOU BELIEVE ME?"
Because you unironically use the word retard as an insult. You sound like a regular scholar m8
>>
>>7660701
300 is an exaggeration, but it could've been half as long and gotten the same point across. For DFW, length wasn't a stylistic choice, he was just terrible at pacing his novels.
>>
>>7660751
>everyone who disagrees with me is samefagging

I call you retarded cause you're retarded. Just like all brainless DFW drones desperately clinging to their "deep and intellectual" drivel.
>>
>>7660757
You could get the point of any novel across in a few sentences. And it was a stylistic choice
>>
>>7660767
No he was just a bad writer.
>>
>>7660766
>implying anyone said it was deep or intellectual
You're the only one here who seems obsessed with proving how deep and intellectual he is
>still implying you're not the same person
Yawn
>>
>>7660767
The initial draft had about 700 more pages. So no, he just had no idea how to pace himself.
>>
>>7660782
>he is
You are*
>>
>>7660782
>had made zero real points
>repeatedly screaming Samefag as if that means anything

Can't expect much more from a DFW fan boy i guess
>>
>>7660797
>implying anyone made any points
>>
What are the best IJ novels that aren't DFW?
>>
>>7660782
He's right. you're retarded.
>>
What's the best respectful way to speak about the dfw man
>>
>>7660726
>>7660734
>>7660751
>>7660766
>>7660782
>>7660797

samefag
>>
Dfw brah tbqh lmao imho change d my life#
>>
I have two questions:

1.) Writers say that the first thing you write is always gonna suck but that's okay because it's a learning process. With that in mind, how was The Broom of the System? Why did he feel the need to publish his senior thesis? Why didn't he just wait until he was older and had more experience?

2.) How did he write considering he had severe clinical depression? I don't have depression but I have a major case of brain fog and I can't focus on anything. I'm just being a pussy and making excuses for myself, which is absolutely pathetic, but I literally cannot write more than 2 sentences to save my life anymore.
>>
>>7660839
>Why did he feel the need to publish his senior thesis? Why didn't he just wait until he was older and had more experience?

cause he's a pretentious, pseudointellectual hack with nothing of substance to say, but was good at marketing/right place right time.

>How did he write considering he had severe clinical depression?

david "career move suicide" wallace cared more about audience pussy than about his depression
>>
>>7660821
Why the fuck can't you like a book on this board without everyone treating you like you hail it as a religious text?

Its just a good book. Jesus. I liked it, I don't fucking brag about it, I don't tell people to read it, I don't think its the best book ever written. Its a good book.
>>
>>7660844
>cared more about audience pussy than about his depression

This has apparently been verified by his buddy biographer, but let's be real, NOBODY commits suicide solely as a career move. If you seriously think about death (and I'm sure we all have at some point) then you realize how tremendously scary it is to think about being unconscious for the rest of eternity.

Yes, his suicide certainly bolstered his career and helped to immortalize him, but the fact that he did it without a gun after writing about depressed people for years just shows that it wasn't exactly an impulsive career move.
>>
>>7660853
>Its a good book.
Yeah No
>>
>>7660914
Pick one.
>>
>>7660918
Kek
>>
>>7660839
see >>7660703

And it's not like he self-published it or anything. He sent it out to a publisher, who put it out and it sold decently enough at the time. Part of the reason he was even able to get Infinite Jest out was because he already had that and his first book of short stories published.

As for writing, I can't get shit done most of the time either, but when you make time for it and just sit down for a few hours with the goal of writing something in a place with as few distractions as possible, it'll happen eventually. I can write a thousand words or more in one sitting once I get into it.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.