[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just finished reading Sorrow of Young Werther. How does /lit/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: Johann-Wolfgang-von-Goethe.jpg (17KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Johann-Wolfgang-von-Goethe.jpg
17KB, 300x300px
Just finished reading Sorrow of Young Werther. How does /lit/ feel about it, especially in comparison to Faust?

Personally, while I will say I enjoyed it, I don't think I connected with the work as much as I hoped I would. However, there were definitely some very moving and beautiful passages and I think Goethe touched on a number of contemporary philosophical concepts that I didn't expect.
>>
it's a middling work with some moments of beauty.

faust is his magnum opus, werther doesn't really compare at all.
>>
>>7659245
>werther doesn't really compare at all
Really? I know it's probably his most well known work so I assumed it was the most respected next to Faust.
>>
>>7659264
it's well known in part because of the influence on contemporaries (copycat suicides, etc)

in terms of "respected" works, the top ones are Faust, Wilhelm Meister, and various verse/drama works, such as erlkonig and egmont from the early sturm and drang period and later stuff like west-eastern divan when he got more into other genres/styles
>>
>>7659236
>touched on a number of contemporary philosophical concepts
like?
>>
>>7659290
In particular I think I was reminded of Hume.
>>
>>7659303
>Hume
Really? Not sure I see where you're finding that. But contemporary philosophical/enlightenment ideas it definetely touched upon. Rousseau's view of children and Burke of the sublime. That's what I noticed from the first half of the novel anyway.
>>
Goethe was a real-life Ozymandias from Watchmen.
>>
I think Werther is genius. It's pretty much a perfect satire of Romanticism.
>>
I've read a shitty translation and hated it. One day I'll learn German well enough and give it an another chance
Still, the ending was intense.

>>7661139
Werther is preromanticism/Sturm und Drang you retard. Goethe couldn't satirize a movement that he was about to start.

>>7659381
His views on children reminded me of Nabokov more than Rousseau.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.