[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has reading made you more disconnected from people? I'll

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

File: get.jpg (20KB, 430x286px) Image search: [Google]
get.jpg
20KB, 430x286px
Has reading made you more disconnected from people? I'll give you an example.

Someone sent me a lengthy message expressing their heartfelt existential fears. Many of these concerns were precipitated by dramatic circumstances beyond my own exerperience. In response I created what became a 200 word analytical essay.

Language such as 'You seem to express issues such as accepting that people close to you have disappeared beyond your physical grasp. This indicates that you may not be at a desired level of peace with the idea of death. You then express a need...' and so on

I end up analyzing the writings of others as nothing more than excerpts from books. Do you also have this issue?
>>
File: 1454355185932.jpg (23KB, 302x187px) Image search: [Google]
1454355185932.jpg
23KB, 302x187px
>reads a lot
>has a harder time connecting with people

Ya dun goofed
>>
>>7658551
>You seem to express issues such as accepting that people close to you have disappeared beyond your physical grasp. This indicates that you may not be at a desired level of peace with the idea of death. You then express a need...
You can't write to save your life that's for sure
>>
>>7658558
You're saying that technical writing isn't nice to read? Such insight.

Tell me more. Maybe you can write it in your lovely prose.
>>
You are autistic and don't understand human interactions, basically the /lit/ version of a weeaboo who behaves like his favorite anime character
>>
>>7658551
>Do you also have this issue?
no

after you do it enough times you will realize that you have to get a kind of a permission before you psycho analyze them
>>
>>7658578
drop your technical writer act and be a fucking human
>>
>>7658590
I just comforted them at first but then they wanted a direct response to their fears. Isn't that permission enough?
>>
>>7658601
Dude just be human lmao

Show me the life of the mind!
>>
>>7658606
Use words to talk :^)
>>
>>7658602
you can soften it by using their own excerpts and since you don't know them you are suppose to confront your assumption by statement, such as previous analysis from your readings and so on
if you analyze people's personal experiences like a novel then you are assuming a separation as if they were a writer of fiction, this is a kind of a faux pas i think
>>
>>7658551
when someone comes to you to vent they really only want you to listen. if you critique them in this moment, you become "that guy" and by that i mean a cunt.
>>
>>7658551
Reading has made me better at talking to people
You're just autistic m8
>>
>Read a lot
>Feel estranged from society/culture/people

I always felt this way but the books make me feel more isolated.
>>
>>7658628
>let me tell you all about this situation I don't know the first thing about
>>
>>7658646
see, you're a cunt
>>
>>7658551

Books are quite the opposite for me honestly. The intimacy of being let into another's thoughts, written as best as they could muster paints a much better portrait then holding a conversation with said person.

That's just me though. Other minds are different, and require different forms of stimuli to feel connected.
>>
>>7658647
but that's not me
also refer to
>>7658602
>>
>>7658602
No. Tell them firmly "I am not paid to listen to this drivel"
>>
>>7658668
I've seen too many people complaining on here to get a real connection from a text message.
>>
>>7658672
please cease being a cunt
also, refer to
>>7658647
>>
>>7658729
Are you meant to be an example of someone not being a cunt?
>>
>>7658551
I never felt connected to people. Reading books only made me feel like IRL people are even less worthwhile to talk to since their 'really sincere human bean experiences' are basically just poorly-communicated cliche I've heard about a hundred times before.
>>
>>7658616
poignant
>>
>>7658551
People tell me I'm well spoken and I know a lot, but I also can't talk about books with people I know because they're all fucking plebs. The only stuff people around me seem to read is bottom of the barrel genre-filth and biographies.
>>
>>7658551
you suck the life out of your friends souls, I hope you grow less lifeless and distant.
>>
>>7658752
this, I don't want to edge it up or anything but most people (certainly not all of them) are pretty cliche.
>>
>>7659506
wew lad, someone didn't take his pills today
>>
>>7659589
But that would also include you so why make the differentiation?
>>
>>7659711
We genre savvy
>>
>>7658551
"Analytical writing" doesn't have to sound like compete garbage, you know. It doesn't sound particularly insightful, but rather seems like you are simply assuming the style of someone you think is smart to justify emotional detachment
>>
>>7660200
"Analytical writing" doesn't have to sound like compete garbage, you know. It doesn't sound particularly insightful, but rather seems like you are simply assuming the style of someone you think is smart to justify emotional detachment

Wait do that mean 'someone who is smart, to justify' or 'someone who is smart to justify'? It's written as the latter but it sounded morr like you were communicating the former.
>>
>>7658551
I would not consider myself disconnected as reading has kindled my love for my fellow beings but my inability to find pleasure or satisfaction in reading anything written after the 19th century has significantly altered my manner of speech so that when I talk to friends or colleagues I am often verbose but of this too, I am proud. I abhor the simplicity of mainstream language and naturally implement what I find appealing. I say this to suggest that even if you perceive a disconnection, embrace it and do not deign to impair your individuality to 'connect.'
>>
>>7660759
M'Boethius
>>
Don't blame literature on your inability to connect with people. You probably like to read because it doesn't require to improve your social skills.

>'You seem to express issues such as accepting that people close to you have disappeared beyond your physical grasp. This indicates that you may not be at a desired level of peace with the idea of death. You then express a need...'

That's bad writing. It's not because it's technical. Even technical writing requires grace.
>>
>>7660876
Isn't the quality of the writing irrelevant to the original point?
>>
Relevant. Reading it right now
>>
>>7658551
You are autistic m8, has nothing to do with reading. In fact, if anything, reading should have made you realize that speaking in 2nd person and judging your friend, who came to your for advice, with a pseudo-"medical gaze" was a terrible idea and that you are a terrible person.
>>
>>7660759
Jesus Christ, 59 words in a single sentence? Learn to write and stop sounding like a pretentious dipshit.
>>
>>7660876
>Even technical writing requires grace.
Agreed. Technical writing is way harder than "regular" writing because it requires you to express complex ideas in short, simple sentences.
>>
>>7661830
'A terrible person', it's interesting going to that extreme. Are you afraid of your own potential autistic traits?
>>
>>7661911
>le projection meme
>>
cringed
>>
File: 1449799575439.gif (2MB, 350x195px) Image search: [Google]
1449799575439.gif
2MB, 350x195px
Hot damn am I glad I am not OP.

>more disconnected
Try never. You're fucked up like a football bat.
>>
>>7661801
you should like totally go watch the latest episode of how I met your mother
>>
>>7662043
>more disconnected. Try never.

That sentence doesn't make sense
>>
File: 1452721397601.png (343KB, 647x786px) Image search: [Google]
1452721397601.png
343KB, 647x786px
>>7658551
>Has reading made you more disconnected from people?

No, my being disconnected from people made me read more.

I'm not autistic though and while I often find others' "heartfelt existential fears" laughable, I'm not about to go tell them that. It is important to them, I might recommend them a book or something, but I'd never go write an "analytical essay" about their fears.
>>
Has reading made you more disconnected from people?
from plebs yeah lol
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.