[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /lit/, What's the opinion on pic related? Are they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

File: E-Readers.jpg (62KB, 660x377px) Image search: [Google]
E-Readers.jpg
62KB, 660x377px
Alright /lit/,

What's the opinion on pic related? Are they worth it? I read actual books but everyone around me swears by e-reader pleb-tier bullshit.

And you?
>>
Daily reminder to turn on airplane mode if you have any interest on jailbreaking your kindle as the update went live yesterday.

Supposedly it should be coming by the Saturday.
>>
I feel that for heavier/harder books, physical is superior.
But then again, maybe I'm just retarded
>>
I can't finish books on e-readers desu. There's something aggravating about it, even if the screen looks ALMOST like paper. It's just not the same.
>>
I just recently got a kindle paperwhite for 40 bucks.
I like it.

There's pros and cons to both.

My biggest issue is that I tend to find books >~5 years old at my local thrift stores for 1-3 bucks whereas the nook/kindle books still go for 7-12 dollars.
>>
It's alright, I miss physical books and annotating them. Being confined to highlighting and offering notes is alright but you cantpage flip so like whats the point.
Theres also a kind of emptiness with unchanging size of a kindle in your hands, as opposed to books of varying girths and lengths. Its much cheaper to just download a library though so, good investment in that sense
>>
>>7658167
Why would you ever, unironically buy ebooks?
>>
>>7658167

You don't pay for ebooks, Jesus Christ. Buy the actual book after if you want to support someone but bloody hell.
>>
>>7658825
Wut? Ereaders are awesome for bookmarking, highlighting and annotating. If you use a kobo everything is saved in a sqlite database so you can easily export everything too. Fuck books with five billion paper pieces stuck to them.
>>
Yeah. There are apps that share your purchased books in stores. I had used the kindle app to buy some ebooks on some special deals.

If you aren't sure, try a kindle app and grab a public domain book to try it out.
>>
I think it depends on your financial and living situation. I have a kindle and it's nice for me as a college student since I'm moving back and forth a lot and amazon has a lot of great stuff cheap. But if I was working with a steady income and wasn't moving I'd probably go physical.
>>
There is literally nothing wrong with ironically buying ebooks
>>
Stop being a hipster faggot. At this point physical books are pure vanity items. I've read the majority of the books that I read for leisure digital since I bought myself a Palm Zire in 2002. What matters is the experience in your head and not in your hands.
>>
I had my first, and hopefully last, experience with an ereader recently. It came to me with a 50th rate thriller, preinstalled, by the overrated Michael Chriton called Timeline. To be honest I was unimpressed both with the material I was reading and the ghastly procedure of button pressing which I followed.
>>
>>7657855
>Buying crappy Amazon crap that you have to jailbreak
Why not just get a Kobo, anon? What killer advantage does the Kindle has that outweighs the fact that buying one means supporting Amazon?
>>
>>7657741
I buy physical copies of classics and books of intellectual value but have an e reader for light fiction, how else can i be pretentious about books when people see my shelf?
>>
>>7657741
I just bought one last week (Kobo Glo), after using my mother's one because she asked me if I could load some books on it for her and I found it very handy. In my opinion:

Pro:
>Not that expensive (got mine for €80)
>Screen almost looks like real paper (nb: almost)
>It has a light built in, which makes reading lighter on the eyes than with a normal lamp
>You can carry as many books as you want
>You can easily select another book even when out of the house
>It's light (reading a 1000+ page book in bed makes my arms sleep)
>Many old and out of print books can be mouseclicks away, instead of long and often fruitless searches in used book shops
>Battery life is superb

Con:
>Most importantly, it's just not the same. It lacks the charm and feel. However old-fashioned and irrational it may sound, it'll never be a real book.
>E-books are expensive. I'm not paying €15 for a DRM-infested bunch of 0s and 1s on a computer when I can get an actual object for €20 which I can place in my bookcase, look at, browse whenever I see it and I feel lile reading it etc.
>A bit superfluous, but having a large e-library isn't something I feel accomplished about. I could literally torrent an entire library within minutes and have more literature than someone can acquire in a life. Compare it to someone having an entire room of hand selected and collected records vs. someone who just downloaded a couple of mp3 discographies
>Page numbers don't make sense
>Many books are available for free or pirated, but their layout is crappy. Mid-sentence enters, non-emphasised chapter titles and such.
>Downloaded books are sometimes hard to get in your library with your style of metadata/cover etc
>You have to start it up and shut it down
>Annotation is very cumbersome, yiu can't just put a piece of paper between pages you want to remember
>'turning a page' with the touch screen, after reading for a while, tends to become more sloppy, as in, you just make some bored hand gesture at the screen, resulting in going back a page or viewing the menu
>It can break or run out of power (rare though)
>It makes books easier and thus 'less valuable'. It's easy to just start a book and then start another because why not and then ending up with 5 unfinished books.

In the end, I think you should see it not as a replacement, but as a complement. Use it for reading when you take the train or something, to read that hard-to-get book or quickly browse through a book to see if it's something. Force yourself to finish books completely (see last 'con'). Never see it as your main reading tool, those should be books.
>>
>>7661189
Kobos are impossible to buy in my country.
Kindle/Amazon really triggers my inner freedomfag. There is some real bullshit going on with them.
>>
Got a Kindle Paperwhite for Christmas and I really like it. Nothing beats an actual book of course but I'd say its the next best thing. Also I'm a dense retard so being able to look up the definitions of words I dont know is really nice.
>>
>>7661376
>Kobos are impossible to buy in my country.

what country?

Amazon a shit, kobo pre good, btw.
>>
>>7661442
Colombia
Kindles are hard enough to find, Amazon doesn't even ship here.
>>
>>7661468
sorry bruh, if this weren't a Kazakh functional programming forum I would offer to take your jew gold and mail you one.
>>
>>7661356
This...

I only use my kindle for "paperback" reading of old sci if and pulp fiction I torrent. I still by hardbacks for serious reading and first editions. Nothing can replace a real book, the smell, the feel, the experience.

Anon got it right in his post
>>
>>7659001
>>7658992
If they're 2 or 3 bucks, or new release books, why not?

I have a job and I have disposable income. what's 20 bucks a month on books?
>>
>>7661485
Those are 20 bucks you could save up and spend on physicals or something.
The idea of buying an e-reader is saving money in the long run, not to end up spending more.
>>
File: 1452495629165.gif (2MB, 260x365px) Image search: [Google]
1452495629165.gif
2MB, 260x365px
What's going on with kindle? I've had my paperwhite on airplane mode since I bought it early last year mostly to get rid of the ads.
>>
>>7661690
It just got a new update that adds some more goodreads integration and changes the UI to a certain extent.

It's also apparently getting closed jailbreak for 5.6.5 released this weekend.
>>
>>7661710
Anything I need to do? Also, why jailbreak the thing, it's not like it prevents your from using any ebook file through calibre.
>>
>>7658167
You know you can get literally any e book for free
>>
Just got a Kobo Glo HD. I still have the Kobo Glo it's replacing that refuses to die despite years of hard use and abuse. Only problem with the old Glo is that the Wifi stopped working which is weird (100% sure it's not a software problem), and I used it quite a bit to read Pocket articles (pocket integration with Kobo is the tits).

Size is practically identical (the HD is a bit thinner). The screen on the HD is very obviously sharper and higher contrast, although it was fine before for books (PDFs are more viable now when unavoidable however).
>>
>>7661757
Where do you download your e-books, if I may ask?
>>
>>7661468
I'd assume you could just have a Kobo sent to you international post.
>>
>>7661751
Mainly setting custom screensavers.
You can also use a font hack but I think there's a chance of softbricking it.
>>
Anyone else notice their Kindle runs slower when it's cold? Why does it do that?
>>
>>7663388
Also curious
>>
>>7663388
http://gen.lib.rus.ec/
not him but this site is god tier
>>
The medium that you're consuming literature on doesn't matter, unless you are an affected snob. I can see the e-reader route has advantages. More portable than books, more eco-friendly, etc. If you do a lot of reading then it is probably a good idea. I don't own one mainly becaussssse I like my low-tech books, but some people also complain about battery life and general flimsiness.
>>
>>7657741
there's nothing like having actual paper
>>
My kindle is really convenient but I don't enjoy reading it, especially for longer periods. I only keep mine around in case I'll be somewhere without convenient lighting or if the power goes out.
>>
I honestly can't concentrate on reading with ereaders. For some reason physical books are so much easier for me to stay focused on.
>>
>>7667544

Yeah that's my problem too, I'm not sure why but I tend to find myself getting lost on the page or zoning out and just kind of breezing through not really consuming anything.
>>
>>7663388
aaaaarg.fail
#bookz on irc
libgen
mobilism

>>7667544
if you're an epub hoarder like me, the trick is to organize your books into categories/collections. divide and conquer anon
>>
>>7657741
>What's the opinion on pic related?

I wouldn’t mind trying one out for free to see what it’s like, but I don’t want to buy for something that might become a paperweight.

Also, seems like it would be kinda awkward to use while laying in bed, which is how I do most my reading.
>>
>>7668638
It tires your eyes really fast. Get a proper ebook reader
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.