[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How is her work? Worth reading? I want to get into Southern Gothic.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

File: Flannery-O'Connor_1947.jpg (20KB, 313x389px) Image search: [Google]
Flannery-O'Connor_1947.jpg
20KB, 313x389px
How is her work? Worth reading? I want to get into Southern Gothic.
>>
fo shizzle, dig on her short stories. start with a good man is hard to find and then make your way
>>
>>7657491
it's okay.

Harry Crews is better
>>
>I want to get into Southern Gothic

Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner.
>>
>>7657491
Fun fact: she was best buddies with John Hawkes.
>>
Big fan of her short stories

Her reading A Good Man is Hard to Find is pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQT7y4L5aKU
>>
More like Not-as-talented-as-a-man-ery O'connor
>>
>>7657676
who Harry Crews?
>>
>>7657783
>hasn't read Flannery O'connor's short stories

tip top pleb
>>
This woman is the GOAT of Southern Gothic as well as the Irish Catholic.
>>
>>7657676

Harry Crews is Bukowski-tier

hes cool but Flannery O'connor is GOAT.
>>
File: 1453658097751.jpg (1MB, 1514x1337px) Image search: [Google]
1453658097751.jpg
1MB, 1514x1337px
>>7657491

She is better
>>
The people in this thread are pleb as fuck
A good introduction to her is The Violent Bear it Away. If you're anti religion you'll love it not that that's all it's about
>>
She's great

And this is coming from a redpilled man who hates women and think their inferior
>>
>>7658912
that makes your opinion of her all the more suspect.
>>
>>7658912
*they're
>>
>>7658910
more like anti-protestant
>>
She's good, and if you want to get into Southern Gothic, I would recommend Faulkner (his novels are better than his short stories though)
>>
She's one of the best short story writers ever. Make sure to get her overall collection of stories. I've read most of 4 or 5 times.
>>
>>7658909
Literally who?
>>
>>7659855
Seriously OP, get The Complete Stories. It won the National Book Award, if that means anything to you.
>>
>>7657676
My teacher was his son
>>
>>7660426

Carson McCullers, maybe?
>>
>>7660532
A good waifu is hard to find and that good waifu is Flannery O'Connor m8
>>
>>7660532
>>7660426
>>7662101

It's a photo of Patricia Highsmith. I like her but I don't know why anon posted her, she's not really thread related.
>>
A Rose for Emily by Faulkner is pretty short, maybe 12 pages, free online and about as gothic as Southern Gothic gets
>>
>>7662113
What is Highsmith like? I just read she can be compared to Kafka, although I see that thrown around in relation to a lot of writers anymore.
>>
>>7662135

This may sound strange but I would call her Kafka through Ian McEwan's eyes. Or perhaps Kazuo Ishiguro's eyes.
>>
>>7662218
Meaning what exactly?
>>
>>7662113
because /lit/ likes to think all women writers are the same
>>
>>7662229
Not him but why don't you fucking read her and find out?
>>
>>7658910
Violent Bear It Away is most certainly an attack on atheists (the uncle being the negative example of why atheists suck). And also like the other Anon pointed out, protestantism.

The wonderful thing about a lot of Flannery's work is that while she was certainly a devout Catholic, her work is so complex that pretty much anyone can find an interpretation that supports or challenges their beliefs.

Also, the Violent Bear it Away was a fucking great novel overall. So, so good.
>>
>>7662250
Not him, but maybe he was wondering what the hell "Kafka through Ian McEwan's eyes. Or perhaps Kazo Ishiguro's eyes." means for the matter?
>>
>>7662269
Kafka's themes with McEwan's style, I'd suspect
>>
>>7662269
A contemporary Kafka?
Fuck if I know
>>
>>7657766
Seconding listening to her recordings. For one thing, it really helps with the Southern way of speaking/writing to hear how it's actually supposed to sound with the rhythm and intonation she intended, instead of the phony accent you'd probably come up with if you're not from the South. Secondly, it was really eye-opening (ear-opening?) to hear the audience laugh along with the story. On its own, her writing can come off a little dry or emotionless, but this really helped me see the character and charisma to it.
>>
>>7657783
This /pol/ tier shit is getting old.
>>
>>7662269
>>7662229

Everyday stories of normal people underlined by the absurdity of human existence and the dread of the machinery of daily life but still coloured by nostalgia, quaint Ness, and social intrigue.

As far as style, think Angela Carter. Think Updike. Think Bukowski with talent and a positive attitude.
>>
>>7662330
>everything I don't like should go in a special camp safely away from me
>>
>>7662391
You're doing the same thing though
>>
>>7657783
>>7662391
What a nuisance
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.