[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

E-Readers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: kind-fb.jpg (345KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
kind-fb.jpg
345KB, 960x640px
I've recently been toying with the idea of switching from buying physical copies of books to taking the dive and buying an e-reader. The Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, specifically. I'm just looking for some opinions on the matter of e-readers, especially from those who have made the switch. Is it terribly difficult to adjust to reading everything off of a screen or is it not that hard? I don't browse /lit/ often, but I've recently rediscovered my passion for reading and I'd like to get back into it. Again, any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
>>
>>7653887
kindles use a sort of magnetic ink system, they aren't like reading on a computer screen at all. They don't produce light either, so in terms of what your eyes are doing they're pretty much the same as reading a book.

I personally don't mind reading on a screen, but if you don't like it due to eyestrain or whatever I can't imagine a Kindle would bother you at all.
>>
I've only had a few days with my paperwhite, and I like it.

It's nothing like reading off a screen. e-ink was developed specifically for that purpose.

the only annoyance with e-ink is that it has a slow refresh rate. so it can take about a second to turn a page. Frustrating if you're in a section with a lot of short dialog.

But the piracy and storage of them more than makes up for their downsides.

I got mine on craigslist for 40 bucks.
>>
>>7653887
Every single day the same thread.
>>
>>7653961
I've had a paperwhite for a few months now and I've never had a refresh rate of even close to a second, maybe it's a different model? Anyways as for the device itself it definitely saves a lot of space which is great for someone who drifts around like I do, not to mention pirating books becomes a great way to save money. And the paperwhite does have a backlight which has a lot of different levels suitable for any sort of environment you might be reading in; the only issue I have with the backlight is that it automatically dims over time, which it does quite smoothly, and you don't really notice it until it gets to be too dark to read if you start off at an already low-light level. I'm not sure if there's a way to adjust or disable this feature.
>>
I started reading in my tablet because I have a problem with getting rid of physical books, and between my fiancée and myself, we have about 300 books spread around the house.

Until I build a home with a library, ebooks are a necessity as far am I am concerned.
>>
>>7653887
You'll never go back. Just like those white women and them black folk.
>>
>>7653887
I had my first, and hopefully last, experience with an ereader recently. It came to me with a 50th rate thriller, preinstalled, by the overrated Michael Chriton called Timeline. To be honest I was unimpressed both with the material I was reading and the ghastly procedure of button pressing which I followed.
>>
>>7653927

Every eink reader has that. With kindle you just usually get the most for your money since they can subsidise them.

Latest for instance has the newest eink version, and pretty decent resolution. One of the best backlight also, but reading with backlight basicly kills the purpose of using eink reader.

Still, no matter what, kindle is 6 inch reader. That's enough for .epubs that most books are in, but for .pdf 6 inch is too small. I was looking into paperwite for a while as well, but then went with 8 incher instead, and it did open the pdf format for me. For the history books that I read, it can still be on a small side in portrait orientation, but when used with inbuilt cropping, they are readable.

Not a lot of selection in this area, thought. Onyx i86 and Pocketbook 840, and then you have even bigger screens, but they get even pricier.
>>
I really like my cybook muse frontlight.
I think it has fewer features than the amazon readers and the OS is less sophisticated. The touch screen is not very sensitive so typing notes in or using some browser feature (not sure if there is one) would be painful, but as opposed to the kindles there are real buttons for turning pages and they have a good feel to them. I only ever use the touch screen when picking a new book to read out of the memory.
I disagree with the previous poster who claimed that a backlit display defeats the purpose of an e-reader. With the light on the very lowest setting I can read in the dark without the feeling of the screen illuminating the room at all, it's very comfortable compared to a reading light or reading from a phone.
Essentially I wanted it to do one thing, and it does that well.
>>
>E readers
The anti-intellectual Gentile strikes again.
>>
>>7654142
you can read pdf in landscape. it can be hard if the material is complex other than that it's quite comfortable
>>
>>7653990
My wife bought me one for the same purpose, they were just piling up.
>>
>>7654226
>medium has anything to do with content or quality

Literally pleb if you dont realize this.

>>7655574
the problem is the borders and the inability to lock zoom
>>
I haven't read a paper book in years, it's just too damn convenient.
>>
>>7653887
I had a shitty e-reader with an eyeraping screen for years and I still loved it because it was so handy. The kobo I'm on now is also great. I've been able to find 95% of what I wanted to read for free with no trouble so you'll get your money's worth very quickly.
>>
>>7655805
For cutting borders use briss. Can't you install some other app with that function?
I'm using nook
>>
>>7655881
I have a first edition touch so it may be different for paperwhite, but even when I crop down to text with acrobat there is still a 1.x inch margin that shrinks the PDFs.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.