[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How sincerity won the game.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: medalla-san-benito-0011.png (634KB, 734x779px) Image search: [Google]
medalla-san-benito-0011.png
634KB, 734x779px
Face it, /lit/. Pomo aesthetic is long dead. In Italy, Elena Ferrante's Neapolitan novels are getting all the attention with their crude, direct style. In Norway, and almost everywhere else, Knausgard is hypnotizing people with his raw portrait of the best and the worst in him. In France, Carrère is writing long autobiographical novels, intertwined with "grand" narratives to elevate his everyday existence to the stuff of legend. In the US, Wallace tried his hand at being a modern Tolstoi, but he was too deep into the linguistic and structural gimmicks of Pynchon and Delillo That's why he'll eventually be forgotten, except perhaps for a few essays and that wonderful book, Brief Interviews. Franzen, after proving his worth in The Corrections, launched himself in a Tolstoi-like crusade to define the very specific but widely spread demographic of White Middle-Class America. The appearance of Pynchon's first novel in the hands of an angsty adolescent rocker and of War and Peace in the hands of the richest character in Freedom is as clear an statement as possible. Hysterical realism and maximalism, the novels that "know a thousand things but do not know a single human being", are over. Even Pynchon, in his two best novels of the post-70's period, M&D and IV, has turned to a more character-and-psychology driven approach. Vollmann's shit, par exemple, is just plain anachronistic.
>>
>>7652356
Wallace was trying to be Dostoevsky*. My bad.
>>
>>7652356

Have you been paying attention to anything recently? Post-Modernism may have led to Post-Irony, which was defeated by New Sincerety, as you pointed out, but New Sincerety is obviously being replaced with Post-Sincerety.
>>
>>7652364
Provide examples, please. Carrère's latest novel is from last year, and Knausgard and Ferrante just got translated into English two years ago, and they're still in progress of being published in Spanish. What the hell is Post-Sincerity?
>>
>>7652356
>crude, direct style
Damn, I was going to get that one too. Thanks for the warning, maricon.
>>
>>7652376
>What the hell is Post-Sincerity?

Think about how DFW is being treated here on /lit/. That is post-sincerety. This is the dfining attitude amoung many important literary circles, like /lit/.
>>
so everything refers back to pomo now, and operates on an irony-sincerity spectrum per our absolute self-consciousness. the stage has been set and there's no way of epistemologically escaping pomo huh
>>
>>7652434
pomo is epistemologically escapable if our lives stop being so comfortable and we have to revert back to truths that are necessary for survival instead of simply furnishing meaning for our armchair academic musings. It's all in Nietzsche.
>>
File: 1453848168897.jpg (118KB, 1300x974px) Image search: [Google]
1453848168897.jpg
118KB, 1300x974px
>>7652356
>all these retardants thinking we moved on from modernism
>>
>>7652478
At the very least it isn't the same brand of modernism as Eliot's or Faulkner's. Compared to our modern lit, they seem extremely candid.
>>
>>7652495
I was joking, anon. The only writer I know of that is still writes modern is Gass, who actually writes, as he calls it, "decayed modern," which I would actually enjoy seeing a rise in popularity of.
>>
>>7652356
hmm, sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about, and have simply arranged a few names you see tossed around on /lit/ into a dichotomy. try reading a book.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.