[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some great works of Medieval /lit/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: laura.jpg (302KB, 940x1281px) Image search: [Google]
laura.jpg
302KB, 940x1281px
What are some great works of Medieval /lit/?
>>
Which years? This is important.
>>
>>7651189
The medieval years
>>
>>7651177
Disciplina Clericalis by Petrus Alfonsi
>>
>>7651236
Does this include the central epoch?
>>
>>7651236

I guess. I'm not OP. I'm just being an asshole
>>
>>7651189
kek. im guessing OP means anything from 500AD to around 2000AD. The renaissance kicks in after that if im not mistaken.
>>
sumer is icumen in
>>
The Mabinogion
>>
There are no good books from the mideval period. Those were the dark ages, when Christianity ruled and reason was kept hidden away in Greek texts in Catholic churches.
>>
>>7651189
529 - 1381
>>
Sir Orfeo is a good place to start for Middle English
>>
Meister Eckhart's sermons
Parzival
Piers Plowman
Shahnameh
>>
Mandeville is essential for understanding medieval thought in relation to stories, or rather how they viewed the idea of "truth". Study it.
>>
File: fedora.gif (2MB, 331x248px) Image search: [Google]
fedora.gif
2MB, 331x248px
>>7651350
>>
The Exeter Ellegies
Confessio Amantis
L'Morte D'Arthur
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
>>
>>7651177
The Canterbury Tales, obviously.
>>
why is medieval literature so shit compared to renaissance and antiquity? did christards ruin literature like they did to science?
>>
>>7651495
>why is medieval literature so shit compared to renaissance and antiquity?
elaborate
>>
>>7651495
>I have never read any medieval literature
>I am going to post about it on the chins
>>
File: monk1.png (599KB, 1264x574px) Image search: [Google]
monk1.png
599KB, 1264x574px
>>7651350
>>7651495
>>
>>7651614
>destroys antiquity and contributes nothing of cultural value save transmitting it for the renaissance to actually use and develop
>getting uppity
lul
>>
>>7651177

Dark Ages: No good lit
Middle - High Middle Ages:
The Decameron
Canterbury Tales
City of God - Augustine
Confessions - Augustine
Anything Aquinas

Start with that. And if you haven't read anything about Aristotle then read him first.
>>
The Norse Sagas and Eddas
The Arthurian Romances
Chaucer
The Fenian Works
Boethius

>>7652284
What years are the dark ages? Augustine wasn't middle middle ages.
>>
>>7651177
ur mums journal desu senpai
>>
File: 1384973917121.png (26KB, 889x737px) Image search: [Google]
1384973917121.png
26KB, 889x737px
>>7651350
>>
>>7652365

Dark Ages are roughly 400 - Charlemagne imo

Augustine was 300s, I should have noted that he's in the transition period.
>>
>>7654605

470's-80s to be more accurate.
>>
>>7652284
Isn't Augustine a little too old for Medieval?
>>
>>7654609
Yes but you need to know him to understand Aquinas and high middle ages philosophy. Aristotle helps as well.
>>
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
>>
>>7651177
Bruh is that Laura Cleaver
>>
>>7652284

oh and also these are all worth reading:

Beowulf
Divine Comedy - Probably the best of all middle age lit alongside Canterbury tales
Song of Roland
Arthurian Romances
The Prince
Piers Plowman
Abelard and Heloise - This one may seem boring when you start it but the events that unfold will surprise you. You might have difficulty with this one if you have a penis

If you're really into it: History of the Franks
>>
>>7654639
>Song of Roland
This is really amazing shit.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.