[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Shakespeare considered highbrow? Dude was pretty much

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: .jpg (89KB, 468x653px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
89KB, 468x653px
Why is Shakespeare considered highbrow? Dude was pretty much writing for the plebs.
>>
A scholarly life could be built around the study of him. What are you even talking about?
>>
>>7650877
>A scholarly life could be built around the study of him.

though it's a very competitive field which tends to bring very little light to our understanding of his plays, and you're best not getting into it
>>
>>7650885

Granted but it makes the question as to why he is highbrow quite obvious.
>>
>>7650869
He is highbrow because it contains both superb plots for the masses and superb philosophical and psychological insights via poetry. He was able to prove that you didn't always have to sacrifice them to one another.
>>
He writes fabulously enjoyable plays that have deep and interesting commentary on the fundamental questions of life.

No one else has asked such simple questions as "why do we fall in love with who we do" in such a compelling way. It's impossible to forget a Shakespeare play, whereas if you read an essay presenting the same questions it's gone from the mind in a week.
>>
File: image.jpg (194KB, 600x487px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
194KB, 600x487px
Excellent structure, Characterisation and plotting. Some people criticise his use of themes like metaphor and simile, but that's reaching too far. View it as a brief 5-Act structure initially and then delve into the details.

Although the histories aren't likely to interest everyone, they very often can interest someone with a British background, if it extends to the time of the History plays.

King Henry VI and Richard III are hugely engaging for me because I know it occurs right around the time of the Battle of Towton, and so the politics of that really wrap me up, because my ancestors made major strategic errors at that time politically, by allying with the Yorkists.
>>
>>7650869
this is like saying am iron axe is a piece of shit in the stone age.

take a look at his contemporaries. also take a look at how many works from antiquity havnt survived that wern't full of dick and fart jokes.
>>
>>7650956
>threadkiller detected
Very decisive.
>>
Poor Desdemona. ;_;
>>
>>7652071
Nah, she lives.
>>
>>7652071
Iago is the worst human ever conceived
>>
>>7650915
>muh plot
>muh character development
>muh ancestors

please go
>>
>>7652506
this is the worst meme
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.