[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Infinet Jest, of course is his greatest work, but DFW had written

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 13

File: 600-wallace.jpg (61KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
600-wallace.jpg
61KB, 600x400px
Infinet Jest, of course is his greatest work, but DFW had written so much more.... short stories published in numerious periodicals, essays in academenic books, and of course, his two page suicide note.

/Lit, is there a resource on the 'net that would enable us to experience DFW from all sources.

Example: Acroding to wiki, A simpsons episode was based on DFW's "A Supposedly Fun Thing I’ll Never Do Again: Essays and Arguments". As a DFW and a Simpsons fan this is must read.

He published many times in all the magainzes that we read.

so... lit, please: central repository?
>>
>>7650628
what? you kind find all his worthwhile stuff on bookz I'm pretty sure. Other than juvenile shit, which probably wasn't that great.
>magazines that we read
what magazines to we read again?
>>
I would have been his friend. We could have watched television together.
>>
better than pynchon
>>
>>7650628
>and of course, his two page suicide note.
Was this even publicly released? Good Old Neon probably reads about the same way anyway though.
>>
>>7650655
Good Old Neon was probably the first draft.
>>
File: suicideprevention.jpg (21KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
suicideprevention.jpg
21KB, 300x300px
>>7650628
why the hell did he kill himself? He was earning a good living (writing made up things for Gods sake), he had a full head of hair, and even owned a home with a home made American Flag.

Did he do it to become immortal in the literary world? Did he want to be remembered like other famous authors?

I think his biggest mistake was publishing IJ. It was his downfall. Success too soon, too young positively reinforces the young idea that their view is *the view*. Their opinion is the only one that counts. Their depression is all important, and nothing can change that.

Full disclosure: I've dealt with multiple suicides in my line of work. I know that most suicidal people eat a bunch bananas the night before so that they don't soil their pants, and cause their parents to be embarrassed in front of first responders.
I have seen how, suicidal people often clean *EVERYTHING* in their house. Fridge: spotless, Stove: greaseless, Toilet: shitless, Tub: soapscumless, floors, vacumed and mopped and waxed. Papers all in order, and laundry washed, dried and neatly folded like they are going to work the next day.

Why? I think deep down inside they know that their loved ones will suffer, but they don't want their loved ones to feel embarrassed.

Contrast this to accidental deaths? Shit. And I do mean shit, everywhere. The accidental ones always shit the bed, and there is always some sort of liquid coming from their ass. Dirty Underwear everywhere. SOcks in the fridge, mold in the bathroom, dirty dishes.

One time, I had a accidental death who was poised over a toilet. He wasn't going to the bathroom, he was pleasuring himself anally while at the same time choking himself. His contraption had a Dildo and a noose interconnected. Somehow the noose tightened and he accidentally hung himself with the dildo fully inserted into the anal cavity.
The ME had to remove the dildo from the anal cavity to 1. remove the decadent, and 2. take the anal temperature to determine time of death.

Bottom line, /lit. If you are thinking of suicide, give 1 (800) 273-8255
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline a call.
>>
>>7650773
Despite your involvement with suicide, you will never understand depression.
>>
>>7650773
>trying to rationalize irrational behavior
>claiming to be some sort of expert or professional
I believe you. Really, I do.
>>
File: deadworms.jpg (50KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
deadworms.jpg
50KB, 600x450px
>>7650777
>>7650778
At least you folks didn't ask what happened after the ME pulled the dildo.

>>7650777
I don't understand it from the dead's view point. I do see the anguish and pain in the mother's eye though.
One time there was a teen- 13 years old- with the helium method. The parents didn't understand how helium- used to fill balloons for happy parties, -used to make the voice sound funny- used to float colored balloons to the sky -can cause death. Explaining inert gases is not what they want to hear.
They are looking for resolution. They want to know why?

You know what, I know the dead person feels guilty too. In the case of the 13 year old, the person wrote a note asking for cremation. Not a celebratory burial.

Don't become a DFW, /lit. DFW is now a pile of bones and rag clothes. He could be swimming in pussy, instead the worms are swimming in him.
>>
File: suicide_speak_reach.jpg (235KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
suicide_speak_reach.jpg
235KB, 720x480px
>>7650778
Not an expert. Never manned the phone of a Suicide Prevention. However, I do know that 4chan has an unhealthy relationship with suicide. Le epic helium frog meme, being a prime example. Probably within the hour there will be a /b thread about suicide and how to best achieve DFW status.
My post started as an inquiry to this DFW meme, Internet Jets book meme, and I read the wiki and feel sorry that a brilliant young man/author cheated us out of further readings.

That's enough posting for now.gif
>>
>>7650654
Claaassic, brother
>>
>>7650836
Our "unhealthy obsession with suicide" is borne out of our station in life. It was always there dude. I don't think anyone here came directly to /lit/ from the internet. A lot of us are former /b/tards or /v/irgins or Robots or something else, and in these places depression and suicide are infectious. /lit/ is the last chance for an Anon dealing with depression to save himself. He's distracted, pursuing "high culture", but it's still there. It's why we're all here in the first place.

4chan doesn't just breed the obsession, it houses it. Gives it a bed and a place to talk about itself. When one of us goes (and I can tell you, I've seen a few go already this year), it's not because /lit/ was memeing on him. The memes may have compounded his illness and made it unbearable, but if it wasn't /lit/ it was other factors that 4chan has no control over.

I think you've seen a lot, and I think you've got a lot to offer us. But to paraphrase DFW, it's a lot like being in a burning building. Turning back is only fire and flames, so you take your only option, which is to jump. The people watching you jump and watching the building burn down will never understand why you didn't want to just go back into the building and into the fires.
>>
>>7650815
what happened after they pulled the dildo
>>
>>7650836
Jean-Michel Basquiat had a great music piece with Grey where he called a suicide hot-line. I only mention it because DFW was a big Basquiat fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXmaZhPLFGA
>>
Just as a side note, that episode is only named after it, not based on it
>>
>>7650815
>>7650773
You seem to have an awful grasp on human emotion.
>He was earning a good living
>he had a full head of hair
>owned a home with a home made American Flag.
>TONS OF PUUSSSSY
wow how could anyone not feel entirely fulfilled by all of these unambiguously important, soul-quenching possessions? Obviously he had these fancy, seemingly desirable things, and it didn't change his experience in the ways he wished they would
>>
File: grid-cell-28225-1413652026-11.jpg (27KB, 625x588px) Image search: [Google]
grid-cell-28225-1413652026-11.jpg
27KB, 625x588px
>>7650889
The ME pulled it while he was suspended on the rope. When the dildo came out the poor DOA's internals fell out. He was dead over two -three days, so rigor set and passed, and gravity showed up.

Not only did his shit plop out, but his anus came out of his anus. Pink sock, but it was not pink. It was the color of aged beef. Every time I smell chicken meat that is not too fresh... that’s the smell.

We left the bathroom. The smell was too much. To this day, whenever I prepare chicken in particular I make sure to have some herbs and spice and lemon to quickly attack the smell of decay.

BTW: I googled this type of death- its not all that uncommon. Also, the dildo was actually a triangular object, not penis shaped, later to be identified as a large anal plug.

Also, the guy was married.
>>
File: dfw.jpg (49KB, 432x287px) Image search: [Google]
dfw.jpg
49KB, 432x287px
>>7651026
Yes. DFW, should have looked past his current "feelings" and sucked it up and driven on. He was by all measure a success.

I have no doubt he offed himself to establish himself as a martyr on the mantle of great writers.

But the dead only know one thing: Its better to be alive. To fuck, to eat, to drink, to sleep, to wake, to bathe in a warm tub, and to see all the earth has and yes to continue writing.

DFW fucked up.
>>
>>7650628
dude gtfo
you suck
all your posts are shit
you have nothing interesting to say
you are a boring person
i would not mind if you killed yourself
(almost? all of dfw's works are in various collections, they are easily purchased or downloaded, you could have googled this)
>>
>>7651174
You need to lurk more so your posting style isn't so horrible.
>>
Wallace, David. Foster. Dislike intensely. An epileptic flat Stanley strung out on technicolor heroin.
>>
>>7651186
Ad Hominid attack....My posts may indeed suck, but your run on sentences service rest room urinals with their suck service.

The point is, DFW's suicide cheated us of probably at least one additional great book.

Suicide is not the answer, even for you>>7651186
>>
>>7651174
The fact that you think this way is why you'll never be a good writer. If anyone should an hero, it's you.
>>
>>7651174
>But the dead only know one thing
No they don't. Stop trying to turn everything into poetry. They know nothing. If they knew something they would not fall under the definition of "dead".
>>
What if he just couldn't write anymore? Has anyone ever considered that? Is the notion too depressing?
>>
>>7651436
I think I remember one of the results of coming off of his medication was the inabilty to write.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
11KB, 480x360px
>>7651217
>ad hominid
>>
why do people talk about his books so much? everyone is kinda making me want to read infinite jest.
>>
>>7651459
i'm reading it now and it's actually better than i expected
>>
>>7650628
Good job bud. Good job.
>>
File: infinite just.png (434KB, 491x659px) Image search: [Google]
infinite just.png
434KB, 491x659px
>>7651453
>>
>>7651459
disaffected middle-class* young adult males are the target audience of DFW, and /lit/'s primary composition

*Everyone in the USA thinks they are middle class, science fact
>>
>b r a i n
>c h e m i s t r y

DFW took antidepressants for a very long time. One day, in the 2000's, his psychiatrist thought it was worth a shot to have him switch from a really old-school antidepressant (Nardil, I think) that had shitty side effects to a newer one with fewer side effects.

The new one made DFW feel sick all the time, so they put him back on Nardil.

But, with antidepressants, sometimes when you go off a medication, going back on it does not work. It's a "you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube" situation.
The Nardil wasn't working.
DFW still felt sick.
As one poster said, his ability to write was likely affected.

And he killed himself.

His wife took the dog out for a walk, and when she got back to the house, David had hanged himself.

Whatever anyone thinks his reasons were, it doesn't matter because his brain was not functioning correctly at his time of death. The itty bitty particles that bounced around in his brain and hit receptors to let him know that he's happy did not work anymore.
He wasn't thinking, "Oh, if I kill myself I'll cement my position as a great writer for all time!"
No.
That's what 17-year-old /lit/ posters and his jealous contemporaries think because they're too capital-I Ignorant to understand simple fucking brain chemistry.
>>
>three IJ/DFW threads on the front page
>>
>>7650876
Not that guy and I can't say I agree with you or not but that was well written I'm smitten ^_^
>>
>>7651481
let's not forget he went on electro shock therapy too
dude's brain got fuckt
>>
File: dfw dance.gif (3MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
dfw dance.gif
3MB, 960x540px
>>7651174
that guy was on a lot of drugs man. he was making awkward references to suicide 10 years before he did...
i think he killed himself because he was a pharm fiend (if not a coke and alcohol fiend) and he seemed to mention he was over the hill in terms of writing.
he was getting fatter and weirder and creepier and more obvious.
look how his puerto rican whore of a deckhand laughs at him while he dances like a little school girl then probably wanted to kill himself after.
and i think he really wanted to achieve some kind of rock star status with the axl rose bandana but it he dun goof'd
>>
>>7651481

pity he didn't just keep trying more anti-depressants, there's a huge variety.
>>
>>7651587
is that zadie?
>>
>>7651481
>He wasn't thinking
Based on what evidence? Did you happen to crawl into his mind minutes before he hanged himself? Do you possess mind-reading powers and were incidentally hiding in Wallace's closet while he hanged himself?

>going back on it does not work. It's a "you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube" situation.
That doesn't mean there wasn't a chemical solution/formula out there that would fit Wallace's neurochemical profile.
>>
File: DFW.jpg (179KB, 397x467px) Image search: [Google]
DFW.jpg
179KB, 397x467px
http://instruct.westvalley.edu/lafave/DFW_present_tense.html
>>
File: magazine051806.jpg (58KB, 313x400px) Image search: [Google]
magazine051806.jpg
58KB, 313x400px
>>7650628
You mean like this?
>>
>>7651154
>every time i smell chicken meat that is not too fresh
You must do that often
>>
Was he losing his hair? A lot of guys with male pattern baldness put a bandanna on their head like that. Some wear a hat all the time and others shave it completely.

Losing your hair is a life event. Gone are the locks of youth, opening the door to adult hood.
>>
>>7652194
pretty sure he just sweat a lot and was embarrassed by it. kind of like a security blanket
>>
>>7651615
hownu.ru
>>
>>7651459
Thank the greatest viral marketing squad on the planet.
>>
>>7652253
They do it for free.
>>
>>7651481
It probably doesn't really work like that

>m-muh brain chemistry
>>
I'm going read Good Old Neon, what am I in for. Its apparently free online.

My library is lacking a DFW collection. They do have all the Harry Potter Books though... so there's that.
>>
>>7650628
These wings are deeeelicious
>>
>>7652264
> what am I in for
David's best writing, a bioptic analysis of 90% of /lit/, lot's of self-berating and a seriously good read.

Very few commas. I fucking love Good old Neon, it might frighten you a bit though. It's kinda like David's suicide note (aside from his actual note)
>>
File: ij_large.jpg (95KB, 419x550px) Image search: [Google]
ij_large.jpg
95KB, 419x550px
Just finished the short story =, Incarnations of Burned Children. I enjoyed reading it. There was one sentence about 80% in that was over 150 words. I don't know why he would do that. Maybe as I read him more, I'll come to see.

On another note, just found out DFW used common fiction books like SK' Carrie, and the Silence of the Lambs in his Classroom.

This page here has his required reading for the class, and some interesting handout material.

http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/press/releases/2010/dfw/acquisition.html
>>
i want to read his suicide note
>>
>>7650628
Infinite Jest is a never-ending joke t b h.
>>
>>7654456
I didn't think he left any sort of suicide note. Can anyone actually confirm this?
>>
>>7654535
Yeah it says on his wiki he left one, plus notes about The Pale King
>>
>>7650628
all the papers he left are available for view at the Harry Ransom Centre, in Austin Texas, if that's what you're asking?

Otherwise your best bet is to get your hands on a book called 'the David foster Wallace reader' it's just under 1000 pages, and sort of acts like a 'greatest hits' kinda thing.

May I ask where you are from? Age, country of origin, ect? The way you set things out on paper seems very forign. Not incorrect or anything, but it's not like what you'd normally read here on lit.
>>
>>7651481
>But, with antidepressants, sometimes when you go off a medication, going back on it does not work.
It's really embarrassing when /lit/ tries to /sci/
>>
>>7651617
1. Sorry, wording it that way was incorrect on my part. What I meant was, even if he said that out loud before he looped the belt around his neck, it's irrelevant. His brain was in a bad state because of his natural depressive state plus the effects of going off Nardil and not being able to go back on.

Again: His reasoning for killing himself was not made with sound, logical reasoning.

Now, it's impossible for me to know that for a fact, as, like you pointed out, I wasn't there reading his mind. But it is logical to believe it based on the evidence regarding his psychiatric history gleaned from interviews with his family, etc.

2. I'd say that's a moot point. Even if there was a medicine that could have gotten his mind in order, they just didn't find it in time.
>>
>>7654597

Just repeating the information that's in the foreword of 'Although of Course You End Up Becoming Yourself' concerning his suicide. Lipsky talked to DFW's psychiatrist and family.
>>
>>7650773
Because of fucking chemicals in his brain, you retard. Anti-depressants are some serious shit and going off them once you've been on for an extended period of time will kick your shit in.
>>
>>7651395
Is it snowing in Ireland?
>>
>>7650773
>tfw want to end my life but it's a sin
>>
>>7654550
I bet his wife either burned it, or made a copy to sell the original on ebay at hundreds of thousands of dollars, and some fag will actually buy it.
>>
>>7650773
you're the worst poster i've ever seen on this board. i'm not even going to bother linking to your other posts itt. just fucking fuck off already. hopefully you fucking kill yourself you obnoxious retarded piece of shit. you remind me that even the worst 10% of 4chan is better than most fucking normalfags. just leave or die, up to you really.
>>
>>7654845
I don't feel like this right now, but I absolutely know this feel senpai.
>>
>>7654572
Foreign? In what way. OPs post? Or others?

This feb market the 20th aniv, of IJ. Tfw never going to go back in to 1997, a US economy that demanded high wages and a pre 9/11 innocence and read IJ for the first time.
>>
>>7651480
I'm really getting sick of this "4chan is nothing but white middle class males" meme

tumblrtards are so prejudiced they have to assign a race and gender to an anonymous imageboard just so hating it will align with their worldview
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.