[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your favorite Lovecraft novel or a story inspired

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: shadowsoverinnsmouth-fb.jpg (164KB, 520x811px) Image search: [Google]
shadowsoverinnsmouth-fb.jpg
164KB, 520x811px
What's your favorite Lovecraft novel or a story inspired by his work?

Mine is definetly "Shadow over Innsmouth".
>>
>>7648234
At the Mountains of Madness and The Music of Erich Zann.
>>
>>7648234
i've read 32 of the more pop ones, i recommend:
rats in the walls, shadow over innsmouth, horror at red hook, dreams in the witchhouse, under the pyramids, at the mountains of madness, dream quest of unknown kadath
>>
File: 1247522809697.jpg (22KB, 441x300px) Image search: [Google]
1247522809697.jpg
22KB, 441x300px
>>7648234
The Whisperer in Darkness and the At the Mountains of Darkness are my favs

And I did enjoy the Re-Animator movies. And Neil Gaiman wrote some Lovecraft-inspired short stories, they were pretty much okay.
>>
>>7648234
shadow over innsmouth is characteristically lovecraft involving the settings, blasphemy suspense and the intrapersonal discovery of being a dagon mofo...
somehow i am drawn back to dream quest of unknown kadath... it doesn't tie up loose ends or have that payoff, but it is about the journey

it's about the journey dude
>>
>>7648234
G
>>
I think "Cold Air" is pretty great. It's got to be one of HPL's better non-elder-god-aliens-blah-blah stories.
>>
Colin Wilson's Mind Parasites and Philosopher's Stone are great.
>>
Either "The Quest of Iranon" or "Celephaïs", although "Celephaïs" is mostly interesting because of its connection with "The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath".
>>
File: Rachel Jeantel.jpg (420KB, 1195x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Rachel Jeantel.jpg
420KB, 1195x1000px
in the last act of Y2:BA is basically what would happen if cthulu awoke and only black people were around
i wish i had a better example but this is from just before shit hits the fan
>>
>>7648234
Same with me. If you're a big Lovecraft fan, and if you happen to like tabletop rpg's, you should check out the Call of Cthulhu tabletop rpg (any edition except d20 is good). Me and my friends have gotten years of fun out of that game.
>>
>>7649385
Personally, I found it to be fairly forgettable. Not bad, just meh. What do you like about it?
>>
>>7650629
silver key the other story titled silver key are more closely related to deam quest
>>
>>7648234
Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath, The Music of Erich Zann (in my opinion his best), and The Strange High House in the Mist, which features my favorite opening paragraph of Lovecraft's:

>In the morning, mist comes up from the sea by the cliffs beyond Kingsport. White and feathery it comes from the deep to its brothers the clouds, full of dreams of dank pastures and caves of leviathan. And later, in still summer rains on the steep roofs of poets, the clouds scatter bits of those dreams, that men shall not live without rumor of old strange secrets, and wonders that planets tell planets alone in the night. When tales fly thick in the grottoes of tritons, and conchs in seaweed cities blow wild tunes learned from the Elder Ones, then great eager mists flock to heaven laden with lore, and oceanward eyes on tile rocks see only a mystic whiteness, as if the cliff's rim were the rim of all earth, and the solemn bells of buoys tolled free in the aether of faery.
>>
The Thing at the Doorstep
>>
>>7651204
>Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath
I agree with this.
>>
For me it's "the thing at the doorstep". I'm a Lovecraft noob but I really thought that one captured the horror.
>>
Rats in the Walls. It has been some time since I read it though. Was Nigger-man real or a figment of the narrator's imagination?
>>
>>7651468
wasnt that a fun little read.
tldr; burn that shit before it comes back to you in ribbit form
>>
>>7651185
It's not just that it's related to "Dream-Quest" but HOW it's related to "Dream-Quest".
>>
What's a good short story by him?

I tried Dagon, but it didn't feel like it had much substance, the imagery was good though.
>>
>>7652143
Maybe try something from his Dream Cycle. Start with "Polaris".
>>
>>7651550
nigger man was real as far as i remember.
nothing phantasmagoric happened until the end remember
>>
Lovecraft is a meme author
>>
The Color Out of Space has always been a really creepy story to me. It's probably just how I read it, and where (atmosphere and such), but I'd recommend it as a must.
>>
>>7648234
op i'm making an official lovecraft thread after this where there's actually discussion going on

you didnt respond to anything i wrote and i read the necronomicon. i'm going to make a proper thread after where everybody gets responded to
>>
>>7654381
i'm pretty sure stephen king copied that story
something about a meteorite and a well
>>
>>7648234
more like 'which ones did you manage to read without getting super bored'
only At the mountains of madness
>>
>>7648234
I enjoyed Imprisoned with the Pharaohs.
>>
File: 1453057378973.jpg (408KB, 900x920px) Image search: [Google]
1453057378973.jpg
408KB, 900x920px
The Colour out of Space was his only actual good story.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.