[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi everyone! Last year I was feeling depressed and someone recommended

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: myth of sisyphus.jpg (48KB, 333x499px) Image search: [Google]
myth of sisyphus.jpg
48KB, 333x499px
Hi everyone! Last year I was feeling depressed and someone recommended I read this so I looked it up on Google and saw a lot of people talking about how the book changed their life for the better/made them happy and that Camus was a super famous recent philosopher so I just assumed that contained within the work was a reason to live. I didn't read the work then (because I'm not a nerd lmao who even reads nowadays) but I was happy and just assumed that there existed reason to live, hidden within the book that I had no hope of getting to without first starting with the Greeks and going up the chronological chain. Well, I actually read the book/essay/whatever yesterday and thought it was pretty shitty and devoid of insight and, as a result, am depressed again. Anyone have recommendations of books that will make the reader want to live?
>>
File: 51pYuV+WtGL.jpg (40KB, 371x500px) Image search: [Google]
51pYuV+WtGL.jpg
40KB, 371x500px
>>
>>7647424
Literature doesn't really solve your problems. And anyway, expecting it to do this will simply ruin whatever pleasure you do get from it. If you have real depression, get diagnosed and treated. If you're just white-guy sad, get some friends and hit the gym.
>>
How about Bible?
>>
>>7647424
The Stoics
Start with Letters From a Stoic by Seneca then read Meditations by Aurelius
>>
File: 33300.jpg (26KB, 315x475px) Image search: [Google]
33300.jpg
26KB, 315x475px
Not even being a smartass.
>>
File: 1453490812144.png (153KB, 1428x4704px) Image search: [Google]
1453490812144.png
153KB, 1428x4704px
>>7647424
The holy life is not lived for the advantages that come from gains, honours or fame; it is not lived for the advantages that come from morality; it is not lived for the advantages that come from concentration, nor is it lived for the advantages that come from knowledge and vision. But that which is unshakable freedom of mind – that is the aim of the holy life, that is the goal, that is it’s culmination.

-- M.I,197
>>
>>7647424
>I didn't read the work then but I was happy and just assumed that there existed reason to live
Hey buddy, still depressed? - Don't be! There's plenty of reasons to live. Won't tell ya, but now you know.
>>
>>7648156
Oye', buddhism bro, I remember reading Bhikku Bodhi's In the Buddha's words.

What's the common name for the sutta about the arrow in the head that addresses why it's pointless trying to address epidemiological concerns. The one in which the Buddha is all "if you were shot in the head and dying would you try to find out the age and name of the person who shot you before healing yourself? No? Why try and find out the proofs of my proposition instead of using them to heal yourself?"

Also, remember the sutta where Buddha is talking to those people living outside the forest frequented by many ascetics who come by and preach to the point that the people are confused about who to believe.
Then the Buddha is all "if my metaphysical bs is real your life is chill and if it's not real your life is still chill so you have nothing to lose by following me".
What's that one called?
>>
>>7647424
swim in the sea, read moby dick, probably not at the same time.
>>
OP,
Meditations and the Roman Stoics if you want "stop being a whiney cunt" advice, although they aren't much in the way of being fully logical, unlike the early Stoa, they didn't have the skeptics and cynics around to logically test their theories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu7n0XzqtfA
>>
>>7649154
They are perfectly logical. The groundwork has already been done which is why they never touch on them. As I've said in a few other threads you will not understand the stoics unless you read recent scholarship on them. I've never seen anything even approaching an accurate idea of Stoicism is on this board.

I would highly recommend Lawrence Becker's A New Stocism. It gives an account of what Stoicism might look like if it carried on through the ages and how it might have responded to and adapted to various philosophical trends.
>>
>>7649190
>I've never seen anything even approaching an accurate idea of Stoicism is on this board.

I'm just paraphrasing Peter Adamson's words, he runs the historyofphilosophy.net deal.

>I would highly recommend Lawrence Becker's A New Stocism
Thanks though.
>>
File: 1448150102776.jpg (46KB, 540x438px) Image search: [Google]
1448150102776.jpg
46KB, 540x438px
>also be depressed
>someone recommends me to read The Stranger
>literally 120 pages that leads up to ''no1 cares lol just go live ur lyfe bb''
>mfw

I liked it, but I don't know why you would recommend this book to someone that's depressed.
>>
>>7647424
I have never understood that book apart from Sisyphus' story as a metaphor.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.