[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a point in writing a novel nowadays? There are so

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: delilo.jpg (1MB, 1500x962px) Image search: [Google]
delilo.jpg
1MB, 1500x962px
Is there a point in writing a novel nowadays?

There are so few people who will read it and it's so difficult to actually write something which progresses literature or makes a point that is worthwhile. And what is the point of writing if nobody will ever read what you write? I'm sure there will be plenty of responses to this thread that are some variation on "Just do it for yourself" and all that jazz but let's be honest with ourselves, if you were to "write for yourself" you wouldn't write in the first place would you? Even Kafka published a few things while still alive. There is no such thing as a writer who "writes only for themselves". Writers, like all artists, create things for others as much for themselves. But nobody is interested in novels nowadays unless they are pieces of neoliberal dystopia or some other claptrap.

And don't get me wrong I'm not saying I am such a genius or anything. That's part of my dilemna. I love to write but I feel like there's no point in taking the time and pain to work on a novel if nobody is going to give a shit about it or if it is going to just be a mediocre piece of vanity that make no contribution.

It's all just so useless. What do I do in this situation?
>>
If it is good enough someone will read it.
You have to separate your anxiety from your talent, at least you are suppose to.
>>
>>7646909
"I can't go on, I'll go on." - Beckett

Does no one see Delillo's irony through Bill Gray? The novel is both useless and potentially useful, even within the margins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DTePKA1wgc
>>
>>7646909
>I love to write but I feel like there's no point in taking the time and pain to work on a novel if nobody is going to give a shit about it or if it is going to just be a mediocre piece of vanity that make no contribution.

Write a novel because you want to. Write it for yourself.
>>
>>7647016
I already addressed this in the OP m8. When somebody writes of course they are writing for themselves, but they are necessarily writing for other people. If they weren't there would be no such thing as publishing, at least for literature or fiction. We would all just burn our manuscripts or keep them in our heads if there wasn't some drive for us to show other people and have them think about what was said. The problem is that now, and for a while but particularly today, nobody will care and even if they did the odds that I'll write something worth analyzing or thinking about that hasn't already been written before in a much better fashion are about 1 in a million
>>
>>7647029
You sound like you're super-overthinking this. That's your dilemma. If you want to be a writer you've got to have some element of dumb egotism to your personality, something that'll make you think what you're writing is hot shit no matter what.

If you don't, you'll be stuck hand-wringing about this kind of (even more self-indulgent) bollocks forever.
>>
>>7647055
How is it more self indulgent?
>>
File: E1yEvFa.png (665KB, 800x2251px) Image search: [Google]
E1yEvFa.png
665KB, 800x2251px
>That glorious feeling when you've contributed more to the human race through an edited image macro than OP has through his unwritten novel
>>
>>7647316
What a shit drawing. Even the short story that I wrote in my 12 years old is better than this.
>>
>>7647316
Go back to tumblr.
>>
You can say that with pretty much every art expression
>who will watch complex movies/music/books? baww baww
There are people out there, don't do it for recognition
>>
>>7647359
>>7647378
>I've never produced anything of worth so I attack others - it's what I'm best at

Frankly you're worthy of pity, little else. Would the world change at all if you took your own life?
>>
>>7647403
>Now I'll write a comic in a literature image board just to get attention.
>I'm so lonely and depressed.
>Oh, look at what they're talking about.
>That guy is so lame.
>I think that I'll draw something with what he said to feel better. Oh, no, I mean, to remember that at least he's worse than me.
>I feel so good now.

I'm not even the guy. Just stop, quit and go back from where you came. You`re not welcome here.
>>
>>7647220
Because agonizing over whether you should or shouldn't produce something is more self-indulgent than producing it. Even if it's something that literally no one likes, the act of putting it out there is less-self indulgent than just thinking about why you shouldn't have made it because you're engaging with the world outside yourself through it.
>>
>>7646909
Maybe you don't have anything to say, maybe you do. Just write, and hope that something good comes out of it.
>>
>>7646909
If you're a writer you're going to continue to write no matter how much the demand for writers dwindles
I'll never stop writing just because I enjoy it so much. I doubt I'll ever get published outside of magazines but that's okay.
>>
Part of the romance of being read is how hard it is to achieve.

You are right there is no 'point' in terms of guaranteed payoff.
>>
>>7647443
I just don't get it. I can understand insular, living-inside-your-head people like OP whose feelings, if wishy-washy, are at least present.

What I can't understand is the level of intellectual and spiritual degeneration you'd have to reach to produce a reply like yours.

:)
>>
>>7647574
you're what's wrong with the world
>am I not trying enough for you?
>>
Yes its where everyone comes to at some point. If you're really passionate and believe in yourself and are capable enough to get it done and not take a decade, then do it.

There are easily more readers now than any time in history.

You also have to weight that up with probably being a poor fag for a decade and no women taking you seriously as a prospect.

Your biggest problem will be procrastination.
>>
>>7646909
>There are so few people who will read it
What? Why? Loads of people read novels. Unless you mean an unpublished novel, in which case moody will read it, obviously. You're simultaneously overstating and understating the problem.
>>
>>7646909
the point is that it's fun.
if you don't like writing, definitely don't do it. there is absolutely no financial incentive. very little social incentive. and i think of all of the arts, literature is the very least likely to be consumed by people; especially long form.

i just finished a draft of one of the novels i'm working on and just reading through it has been incredibly fun and fulfilling.

i know my work isn't great, but somehow i find my own work much more fun to read than other peoples' books, no matter how good they are.

i also like to put little jokes in the drafts for myself. so when i go back to read them, months later, i can have fun with it.
>>
>>7646909
If you feel there is no point and that this pointlessness affects you, then don't write. If you feel there is no use, nobody will convince you otherwise.

But if you feel you have to write -- you just have to -- then you won't care if there is a purpose to writing, outside of your own person. Then, if you're any good, someone will read you. Chances are it'll be long after you're dead but it won't matter; you'll have written anyway.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.